Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #81
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I couldn't see the thing you posted but I assume it was from his new series on Netflix. Whereas Netflix has removed the part which explains real science from his old show explaining X and Y chromosomes.
No it's much much worse. I actually don't recommend you watch the video, ever.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #82
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
No it's much much worse. I actually don't recommend you watch the video, ever.
HAHA, well considering I don't know which one it is that will be easy.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #83
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada passed a law Thursday making it illegal to use the wrong gender pronouns. Critics say that Canadians who do not subscribe to progressive gender theory could be accused of hate crimes, jailed, fined, and made to take anti-bias training.
Canada’s Senate passed Bill C-16, which puts “gender identity” and “gender expression” into both the country’s Human Rights Code, as well as the hate crime category of its Criminal Code by a vote of 67-11
I don’t even know where to begin.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #84
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add "scientifically speaking"

And I told you how, Bill C-16
So your stance is that Bill C-16 is going to force you to change the way you speak about/to transgender people.

I want you to really think about what is in that bill before you answer that question.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #85
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just make a THL and call it a day.

Then again, people will complain women who were men will have unfair advantage against men who used to be women. You just never win.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #86
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A 5'8" 155 lb transgender male is going to have massive physical advantages over a 5'8" 155 lb women. Anyone who's gone through puberty as a boy should be outlawed from all female competitive sports, I don't see any wiggle room here.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #87
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
So your stance is that Bill C-16 is going to force you to change the way you speak about/to transgender people.

I want you to really think about what is in that bill before you answer that question.
Who knows how the law can be interpreted. Calling someone by the pronouns I think are I should use may be considered inciting hate.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #88
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

None of you would be any fun at a party.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #89
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
None of you would be any fun at a party.
Neither would you using tired old lines like that. Come up with better material.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #90
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows how the law can be interpreted. Calling someone by the pronouns I think are I should use may be considered inciting hate.
If you talk to a transgender person and you aren't a jerk to them specifically because they are transgender, I think you're in the clear
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #91
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. Just like people are routinely prosecuted for using racial slurs in their day to day lives because that's inciting hate. Because that is what this bill covers, some random person speaking to another person on the street.

Who knows how the law can be interpreted? I would say all of the lawyers & courts who have dealt with this exact legislation for a huge number of groups already on the same list.
It adds a group to a list, it doesn't substantially change the interpretation enforcement, or spirit of the existing legislation.

But all that aside, even if it was illegal to call a trans woman "he", which it isn't. It doesn't change the fact that actively doing so, after the person has asked you to do otherwise, legality aside, is a dick move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #92
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If you talk to a transgender person and you aren't a jerk to them specifically because they are transgender, I think you're in the clear
For now. Who knows how far this stuff will go. I am all for violent crimes being considered hate crimes against the LGBTQ2 community. Leave speech out of it.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #93
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For now. Who knows how far this stuff will go. I am all for violent crimes being considered hate crimes against the LGBTQ2 community. Leave speech out of it.

Any particular reason you think hate speech against this particular community should be okay?

You've already stated explicitly that this bill will force you to change how you speak about this community, so the only logical conclusions are that you are either actively inciting hate against them (or genocide, it could be genocide), or you really don't understand what this bill does/is about.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #94
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Any particular reason you think hate speech against this particular community should be okay?

You've already stated explicitly that this bill will force you to change how you speak about this community, so the only logical conclusions are that you are either actively inciting hate against them (or genocide, it could be genocide), or you really don't understand what this bill does/is about.
what
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #95
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I think people should be left to decide what they think is right and wrong. I never think over policing by our government is a good thing. it only leads to bad things. Let people spout their hate, we don't have to listen to it. I do not hate anybody, I just think there is a road you go down that leads to oppression when you police what ppl say. Despite what the media wants to paint our society as or the victimhood mentality that is so prevalent, we do live in a very inclusive country and anyone I have ever seen spout overtly hateful things have been condemned by the majority of people. You need to give people the opportunity to decide what is right and what is wrong. it is how ideas are exchanged and allows society to evolve organically. This outrage culture we live in nowadays only serves to feed the Alt-Right. And it completely closes off paths of communication. Our country has never been more inclusive yet is has also never been more divided.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #96
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what
Considering the bill adds transgender people to the list of groups that are protected from speech inciting hate or genocide, I figured it would be hypocritical of me to assume he was going to incite hate. He could be advocating genocide.

This is of course assuming that he both:
a) Understands what C16 is/does
b) Is telling the truth when he says it will force him to change the way he speaks about/to transgender people (which he explicitly stated it would)

I mean, if either of those conditions aren't true, then it's entirely possible he neither incites hate or advocates genocide. I'll let him clear that up.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #97
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows how the law can be interpreted? I would say all of the lawyers & courts who have dealt with this exact legislation for a huge number of groups already on the same list. It adds a group to a list, it doesn't substantially change the interpretation enforcement, or spirit of the existing legislation.
Chiming in from the legal side, I think there is a circumstance where it would necessarily have to be interpreted that way - i.e., to compel you to use someone's preferred pronoun for them. However, I don't think that interpretation would hold up constitutionally. As a result, I think for practical purposes, people should just read it the way you're already reading it, as adding a new entry to the list of "you cannot discriminate against the following groups of people".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #98
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
what
Because you see, I have disagreed with the left, therefore I am automatically Hitler incarnate.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #99
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think people should be left to decide what they think is right and wrong. I never think over policing by our government is a good thing. it only leads to bad things. Let people spout their hate, we don't have to listen to it. I do not hate anybody, I just think there is a road you go down that leads to oppression when you police what ppl say. Despite what the media wants to paint our society as or the victimhood mentality that is so prevalent, we do live in a very inclusive country and anyone I have ever seen spout overtly hateful things have been condemned by the majority of people. You need to give people the opportunity to decide what is right and what is wrong. it is how ideas are exchanged and allows society to evolve organically. This outrage culture we live in nowadays only serves to feed the Alt-Right. And it completely closes off paths of communication. Our country has never been more inclusive yet is has also never been more divided.

So you're saying the jury is out on genocide, and we should let people advocate for the extermination of a race of people?

I think that question is pretty well answered. That's what C16 does, it adds another vulnerable group to the list of people who's extermination we are no longer allowed to actively advocate for. You think that's a path of communication we should leave open?

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 01-11-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #100
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suggesting that the government shouldn't have laws against hate speech isn't actually a crazy proposition. Michael Chong included the repeal of those laws in his platform when he ran for CPC leader and he was for all intents and purposes accused of being a Liberal party member in disguise.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread