Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #81
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would anyone be concerned about Brouwer checking out if he gets exposed? He was checked out last year.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #82
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Who does Vegas take from the Flames? Brouwer

2. Who is our starting goalie? Mason

3. Who is our #4 defenseman? Stone

4. Who is our top line RW? Poirier

5. Who is our back up goalie? Rittich

6. What happens with the 16th pick? Suzuki

7. Any Flames traded away in this time period? Kulak to Vegas to take Brouwer, Bouma and 4th to Van for 2nd

8. Any other UFA signing? Stone and Jarred Tinordi
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #83
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
1. Who does Vegas take from the Flames? Brouwer

2. Who is our starting goalie? Mason

3. Who is our #4 defenseman? Stone

4. Who is our top line RW? Poirier

5. Who is our back up goalie? Rittich

6. What happens with the 16th pick? Suzuki

7. Any Flames traded away in this time period? Kulak to Vegas to take Brouwer, Bouma and 4th to Van for 2nd

8. Any other UFA signing? Stone and Jarred Tinordi
Well now that we have a better understanding of the issues many of us are again hopeful regarding Poirier but you sir, are the ultimate optimist,
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #84
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Who does Vegas take from the Flames?
Brett Kulak

2. Who is our starting goalie?
Philipp Grubauer

3. Who is our #4 defenseman?
Stone

4. Who is our top line RW?
Ferland

5. Who is our back up goalie?
Ochocinco

6. What happens with the 16th pick?
Select Juuso Valimaki

7. Any Flames traded away in this time period?
maybe Bouma or Wotherspoon

8. Any other UFA signing?
Martin Hanzal
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #85
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Condon as the starting goalie is pretty frightening, I would hope the scouts had done their homework and sacrificed a few chickens before putting their eggs in that basket.

Also, if the Flames do sign a higher profile UFA forward, I hope it's Hanzal.

He's injury prone, but when healthy he's pretty much a 6'6" 230lb version of Backlund with a little more offense, a little less defense and just crushes in the face off dot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #86
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Mike Condon as the starting goalie is pretty frightening, I would hope the scouts had done their homework and sacrificed a few chickens before putting their eggs in that basket.

Also, if the Flames do sign a higher profile UFA forward, I hope it's Hanzal.

He's injury prone, but when healthy he's pretty much a 6'6" 230lb version of Backlund with a little more offense, a little less defense and just crushes in the face off dot.
These days I think Hanzal is a little less offense than Backlund as well. Love the strength and the face-offs though
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #87
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
These days I think Hanzal is a little less offense than Backlund as well. Love the strength and the face-offs though
This is the first year Backlund out produced Hanzal on a point per game basis, but that had a lot to do with how terrible Arizona was, because as soon as Hanzal went to Minny he was back to 0.65 ppg for the remainder of the season.

Either way though, I'd love to have both. Would be quite a log jam at center however.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #88
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanzal would be nice, but he seems like the type of player who would cash in in free agency.
To be honest, he probably does deserve quite a bit of money.

And Brouwer is a professional. The team is full of coaches and he probably has a sports psychologist. I'm sure they would tell him to use it as motivation. They wouldn't encourage a mopy mindset.

Just this once, I'm willing to give Brouwer the benefit of the doubt.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #89
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
7. Any Flames traded away in this time period? [B]Kulak to Vegas to take Brouwer
If Vegas needs to be enticed to take Brouwer, why wouldn't they just select Kulak without Brouwer attached to him?

If taking Brouwer requires enticing, Calgary will need to attach more than an available player to him.

There will likely be less enticing players available with as much as 1st round picks attached to them to ensure movement. I doubt that Vegas will be enticed by a potential 6-7 d-man to take on a contract they don't want.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #90
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Spector is the Sportsnet equivalent of Eric Francis.

He writes stuff even he doesn't believe strictly in order to get a reaction.
Turned on the radio and some idiot was on the Fan 960 talking about how the Flames would expose Ferland instead of Brouwer. Big surprise -- it was Spector. Later called Ferland a "depth" player.

Also suggested McDavid might take under $10M on his next contract

He was subsequently ripped (and rightly so) on the fan feedback line -- good job Fan960 listeners.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #91
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Vegas needs to be enticed to take Brouwer, why wouldn't they just select Kulak without Brouwer attached to him?

If taking Brouwer requires enticing, Calgary will need to attach more than an available player to him.

There will likely be less enticing players available with as much as 1st round picks attached to them to ensure movement. I doubt that Vegas will be enticed by a potential 6-7 d-man to take on a contract they don't want.

If LV is 'ok' taking Brouwer due to GMGM history but can get two players free instead of one they might do it
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spector supposedly writes about the Flames. But he didn't know what draft position the Flames have, he figures Ferland is just a role player. He is dumb too, he figures Brouwer wouldn't believe Treliving if Tre said "we are exposing you but you aren't going to Vegas". Why not? There are tons of deals like that that will be made. Or McPhee has done treliving a solid and told him who he is taking (and it's not Brouwer). Why would you not believe Treliving if he gave you assurances? Plus, why would Brouwer figure he gets special consideration - he knows the business. He's been traded twice. He probably asked for a NMC and didn't get it from Treliving. He knows he wound up on the 4th line. He knows he's overpaid, considering last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Turned on the radio and some idiot was on the Fan 960 talking about how the Flames would expose Ferland instead of Brouwer. Big surprise -- it was Spector. Later called Ferland a "depth" player.

Also suggested McDavid might take under $10M on his next contract

He was subsequently ripped (and rightly so) on the fan feedback line -- good job Fan960 listeners.
Spector is a moron and he sounds like a complete arsehat know it all on the radio.

I doubt that Brouwer cares all that much if he's exposed, he gets paid any which ways, and I think most players understand this is a business.

This makes me hope that the rumors of McDavid looking for a short term deal are true and that he asks for max dollars so Spector can cry on air.

As well I hope that Draisaitl gets insulted by the McDavid first contract because by dumbas er Spectors logic because he knows how GM's think Draisaitl will hold out and pout.

Why they allow they mook on the air especially after reading his badly written book that was probably done using round paper and crayons is baffling.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #94
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the Flames expose Ferland and assuming they lose Engelland the Flames will become the most butter soft team in the Western conference and become a lottery team. Choosing to expose Ferland is insane.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
If the Flames expose Ferland and assuming they lose Engelland the Flames will become the most butter soft team in the Western conference and become a lottery team. Choosing to expose Ferland is insane.
Oh the hyperbole!

It's ok though. Hockey is played on ice, so the butter becomes frozen and hard as ####.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #96
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether it's Brouwer, Lazar or Ferland, i would guess that Tre has a deal with Vegas to select someone else. All three will effectively be protected
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #97
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to miss Stajan. All heart.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #98
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Brouwer knows he's getting paid way more than what he deserves at this point. If he doesn't at least contemplate the possibility of being exposed I think he's being very naive about his situation and or contribution to the team. If, on top of that, he starts moping I think the dude needs a serious reality check but I doubt this to be the case.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #99
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brouwer had a bad year in his first of a UFA deal. Sucks, but GMGM may see it as an aberration and pick him over the other fairly crappy choices the Flames have to offer. The Flames may also see it as an aberration, and if he isn't picked, he'll be given every opportunity to redeem himself. This is not a big deal either way.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #100
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Brouwer had a bad year in his first of a UFA deal. Sucks, but GMGM may see it as an aberration and pick him over the other fairly crappy choices the Flames have to offer. The Flames may also see it as an aberration, and if he isn't picked, he'll be given every opportunity to redeem himself. This is not a big deal either way.
Agreed.

I also think people are being over dramatic about Brouwer. Was he disappointing or underwhelming considering his contract? Sure. Is he dead weight or the worst contract in the league? Not even close IMO.