Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Keep in mind Gaudreau also had his worst NHL season. Teams like Pitts with Murray would be asking for the same return. Mrazek isn't outside the quality of Murray, and I guarantee you they wouldn't accept Bennett, or Backlund as a return. Tkachuk would be probable.

The Flames really don't have any other pieces to offer for Mrazek unless delving into their top 3 D.

The Flames would be buying, and in this scenario, it's a seller's market knowing their needs.
The goaltending market is soft. Anything more than a 2nd round pick and prospect is major overpayment for Mrazek. Treliving hangs up the phone before Holland can finish saying "Sam Bennett". I would expect Mrazek + one of their top organizational prospects for Backlund.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #82
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Mrazek isn't outside the quality of Murray, and[B]I guarantee you they wouldn't accept Bennett, or Backlund as a return. Tkachuk would be probable.

The Flames really don't have any other pieces to offer for Mrazek unless delving into their top 3 D.
I don't believe for a second that this would be the case. The problem here is that trades for burgeoning starting goalies are rare, but the few which have taken place over the past several seasons have not yielded anything close to the returns that you are promoting.

Quote:
... The Flames would be buying, and in this scenario, it's a seller's market knowing their needs.
Quote:
It's the ask for a Murray or a Mrazek. That's the conversation
All off this is so wrong.

It is actually a BUYER'S market: This summer could present the softest market for starting goalies of the past decade or more thanks to the expansion draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #83
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Raanta, Grubauer, Darling, Pickard - in no particular order.

Now is the time to find our Talbot, Andersen, Dubnyk, Jones, Lehner, etc.
Not is not the time to blow over 5m and term on 30yr+ maybe answers that are too expensive for what they bring or got pushed out by youth with nothing but potential.

On that note, I'd also see if you could get Lehner out of Buffalo.
I don't necessarily agree that finding the backup readyfor a starting role is the way the Flames should go for a couple reasons. The first being that goaltending has shouldered a lot of the blame for the last 2 seasons. It certainly was a main reason they missed the playoffs in 2016 and finished bottom 5. I also blame goaltending for the reason the team was swept in round 1 this year. Having said that I think it is very risky to bring in a career backup and hope they turn into a bonafide number 1. The second reason is I believe the Flames have a couple guys in the system that can emerge as the goalie of the future in Gillies or Parsons. We need to develop those 2 long term and I believe one will be ready in the next 2-4 years. For those reasons I voted Bishop who the Flames showed interest in last summer and has proven to be an elite goalie in the past.

The key for a Bishop acquisition is keeping the term 4 years or less
Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #84
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Should age for a goalie matter for us anymore? We need a goalie who can win and if he's 42 it doesn't matter to me. We're not grooming him for the future...
It matters because whether a particular goalie can continue to win at 37 or 42 is a legitimately serious question. I am not prepared to find out how much Miller has left to give under any circumstances given his age and mileage over the past few seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #85
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd still like a Finn there, if possible...

Ortio wasn't a real Finn because he didn't have random extra vowels in his name.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #86
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop. Just pay the money and get a legitimate #1. I get that people are hesitant to pay him a ton of money but you really do get what you pay for. If we go another route it's much more likely we get more Elliott than us finding the next Talbot. Bring back Johnson as a backup.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #87
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked Bishop, but was close on Raanta.

I suspect that Bishop will be the guy. He has been involved in a couple of Calgary rumours the past couple of seasons.

I can also see the Flames acquiring Rinne.

Just totally pipedreaming, but what would Price cost in a trade? I know it would be astronomical.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #88
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Bishop. Just pay the money and get a legitimate #1. I get that people are hesitant to pay him a ton of money but you really do get what you pay for. If we go another route it's much more likely we get more Elliott than us finding the next Talbot. Bring back Johnson as a backup.
Where do our young goalies slot in?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #89
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know everyone is still really down on Elliot after the playoffs, but you have to remember he also stood on his head for two months.

What about bringing him back and trading for one of Darling/Korpisalo/another young guy and rolling with a 50/50 split? Play whoever is the hot hand at the time?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #90
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I don’t think there’s a chance Bishop signs for 1, 2 or 3 years. Minimum he asks for is 4 and I bet he pushes for 5 or 6 (like was rumoured last summer). Maybe with his struggles this past year a 4 year deal is the best he can get. We can only hope.

With that in mind if you can get Bishop for 4 years or less you make that deal and run. Anything over that is a little long assuming you have some faith that Gillies or Parsons is going to pan out.

If Bishop pushed for a 5 or 6 year deal then who knows what you do. Elliot for 2 more years or maybe Fleury for the 2 years left on his contract and then pray Gillies is ready?

I recall the rumor last summer was he wanted either 6x6 or maybe even 7x7 but that was after he was a runner up for the Vezina. The price has to have come down after the last season. The fact he came extremely close to waiving (to thebpoint he thought a deal was going to get done) shows me he is open to coming here. The fact the team went from bottom 5 to playoffs can only benefit the Flames when trying to sign him this summer
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #91
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I picked Bishop, but was close on Raanta.

I suspect that Bishop will be the guy. He has been involved in a couple of Calgary rumours the past couple of seasons.

I can also see the Flames acquiring Rinne.

Just totally pipedreaming, but what would Price cost in a trade? I know it would be astronomical.
Probably not astronomical because the Habs won't trade Price unless he won't sign an extension with them and Calgary wouldn't trade for him unless he would sign one with them. Very limited market in that case.

Goalies are never worth as much on the market as they are to their own team, I suspect this would even more evident if Carey Price were to be traded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #92
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why on earth would you bring back Elliot? Sure he stood on his head for a while but he fell on his face most of the time.

The only good that would come from bringing Elliot back would be that the Flames would finish low enough to possibly draft the next Tkachuck.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #93
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I know everyone is still really down on Elliot after the playoffs, but you have to remember he also stood on his head for two months.

What about bringing him back and trading for one of Darling/Korpisalo/another young guy and rolling with a 50/50 split? Play whoever is the hot hand at the time?
You can't forget that he also crapped the bed for the first 2 months of the season as well. We bring Elliott back we owe the Blues a pick.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #94
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Where do our young goalies slot in?
Somewhere a season or two away if they earn it. As has been mentioned gillies needs more time in the minors. Goaltending prospects are notoriously risky, like I've said before: remember Irving and Ortio? Exactly.

Bishop is a known commodity, known enough that you go after him on say a 5 year deal and on the off chance we get a killer backup who's ready to take the reigns you deal with that problem then.

The Waiting for Godot goalie prospect plan doesn't seem like a good long term plan but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by ResAlien; 04-25-2017 at 02:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #95
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you can sign Bishop or Miller to what Miller got with the Canucks last contract then I'd be happy with that. Need a #1 guy for the next three years for Gillies et al to season behind.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #96
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bishop is going to be on the Flames radar. I see him signing 3 year deal approx 3.5-4 Million.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #97
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Bishop is going to be on the Flames radar. I see him signing 3 year deal approx 3.5-4 Million.

Would be nice, but that won't happen.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #98
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bishop would be nice, but he'll cost too much money and too long of a term, I'd think. But there could be somewhat of glut for goalies, and so there could be a buyer's market for a number one goalie.

I think the list depicts this.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #99
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bring in Bishop , the rebuild is about to hit floor #2 ,time to get serious.
3-4 years at $5 mill ,given his last year and the soft market.

Bring back Johnson or bring up Rittich as a backup and let Gilles prove himself and percolate in the Ahl...Profit

man it is going to be a long of season , but the expansion draft should make it extra interesting
Old 04-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #100
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
IMO, the only way you can sign Bishop to 3 years is if you pay him $6+M per year. Only way you can get him at $4M per is if you lock him up for 7 years. So as much as I would love for your scenario to happen, I just can't see it.
Closed Thread