Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #81
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Alberta Beef has apparently done an amazing job of marketing in Alberta. People blindly believe our beef is superior, but basically no one elsewhere in the world shares that belief.
By biggest issue with Alberta Beef, and actually Canadian beef as a whole, is the lack of a good grading system. What can be considered top tier here is crap compared to something like a USDA prime.

There's nothing wrong with Alberta beef, but lacking that real top notch cut is what I hate. Buy a prime or AAA cut here and sometimes it's great, then other times it's crap. Any chef worth their salt knows consistency is key and Canadian beef lacks it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #82
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This.

Honestly believe this is a test by Earls's so see how sensitive they are to the impacts of higher minimum wage in Alberta.
Yeah I think this is it.

Wage costs are going up 30%+. This lets them count money their customers were already paying and their staff was getting anyway.

Don't know if it's exactly the right solution or if it will succeed but I think it's at least worth trying. As a consumer I'd rather this than higher prices or reduced staff.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #83
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
By biggest issue with Alberta Beef, and actually Canadian beef as a whole, is the lack of a good grading system. What can be considered top tier here is crap compared to something like a USDA prime.

There's nothing wrong with Alberta beef, but lacking that real top notch cut is what I hate. Buy a prime or AAA cut here and sometimes it's great, then other times it's crap. Any chef worth their salt knows consistency is key and Canadian beef lacks it.
It's true. I'm a butcher and sometimes we get stuff labeled AA or AAA and it's got barely any marbling in it.

Combine this with the obscene amount of exterior fat that comes on some of these cuts, the hacking and slashing that happens and all the purge (when blood comes out of the meat). We pay for everything by the weight so when you get cuts like that It's nearly impossible to turn a profit.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #84
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the butchers perspective.

On the subject of their beef, what's interesting from a quality perspective is that before their marketing shot themselves in the foot with all the humane nonsense, they were making pretty good moves when it came to their beef. Earls recognized the lack of that top tier grade, so they kind of made one themselves. About 12 or so years ago they worked out a deal with their supplier, which was Certified Angus Beef (, a US brand), to have their own guy come in and select which cuts went out to their restaurants. They claim that what they were selecting was just the top 2% of AAA. How much of that is marketing, I don't know, but you did notice the difference in quality and consistency. This actually annoyed me when I had my restaurant, when I was trying to lock down a good beef supplier I did use CAB for a while, but was basically fighting over Earls' scraps along with Moxies and a bunch of smaller businesses. But that's a story for a different day.

Nowadays, they use a completely different supplier. I've only tried it twice since, but the quality just isn't there anymore. My best guess is they burned their bridge with CAB and are now stuck receiving any old AAA beef that comes in. But hey, as long as it's humane, right? So now, not only is their beef a much lower quality than the US stuff they were getting, it's also lower than the Alberta beef they were receiving before all that happened. Smooth move Earls.

A little off topic, but for their sake, hopefully their mandatory tipping experiment works out for them a lot more than the humane beef fiasco

Last edited by btimbit; 07-09-2016 at 11:29 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #85
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would assume going to a standard 16% would actually hurt the servers. I generally tip more than that for good service and I'd imagine a lot of people do. I would imagine the amount of people that would now be tipping 16% wouldn't make up for the loss of people who already tipped more. Also, as someone said, if Earl's is administering this, these servers are now going to get taxed on 100% of their tips. I would assume Earl's will need to add it to their T4s.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #86
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Fun fact, Earl's is the majority owner of both Cactus Club Cafe and Joeys
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #87
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Where's springs 1 or whatever her name is when you need her to chime in on such a delicate subject.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #88
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I would assume going to a standard 16% would actually hurt the servers. I generally tip more than that for good service and I'd imagine a lot of people do. I would imagine the amount of people that would now be tipping 16% wouldn't make up for the loss of people who already tipped more. Also, as someone said, if Earl's is administering this, these servers are now going to get taxed on 100% of their tips. I would assume Earl's will need to add it to their T4s.
If you are generally providing more than 16% now would you pay the mandatory 16% plus leave a few extra bucks?

Aside from the tax aspect, which will probably be pretty significant, I think that the amount of tips paid won't really decrease because customers will still pitch in a few extra bucks for exceptional service.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #89
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If you are generally providing more than 16% now would you pay the mandatory 16% plus leave a few extra bucks?

Aside from the tax aspect, which will probably be pretty significant, I think that the amount of tips paid won't really decrease because customers will still pitch in a few extra bucks for exceptional service.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #90
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Where's springs 1 or whatever her name is when you need her to chime in on such a delicate subject.
Just stand in front of the mirror in the bathroom, turn out the lights and say Springs1 three times.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #91
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Just stand in front of the mirror in the bathroom, turn out the lights and say Springs1 three times.
Dont do it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #92
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Alberta Beef has apparently done an amazing job of marketing in Alberta. People blindly believe our beef is superior, but basically no one elsewhere in the world shares that belief.
I disagree. I don't exactly go for $50 steaks, but for most things I've had at your Earls-level restaurants around the US and London, I'd take Canadian beef almost every time.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #93
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could absolutely never tell the difference but I prefer CDN beef because I am a patriot.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #94
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I disagree. I don't exactly go for $50 steaks, but for most things I've had at your Earls-level restaurants around the US and London, I'd take Canadian beef almost every time.
I agree, at that level Canadian beef wins. But in Canada there's really no point in going for a really high-end steak because of the consistency. In the U.S. it's a lot more worth it to go to a high-end steakhouse because you're guaranteed it will be of outstanding quality.

In Canada, I've never found any sort of difference between mid-level and high-end steak to the point where I've stopped going out for steak in Canada. It's just not worth it.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #95
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is high end US beef still corn fed?

To me that leaves a mushy texture (which some people apparently call tender).

Or is the real high end stuff Grass/hey fed.

I've never really gone out for high end US steak based on the assumption it would be similar to the gross corn fed stuff.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #96
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dont think this is a coincidence that it occured at the start of stampede.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #97
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is actually pretty shocking. Cactus Club is by far superior to both those restaurants so it has to be a matter of time before they just turn them all into Cactus club restaurants.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #98
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Have always known about Joeys but are you sure about the Cactus Club? an old buddy started started that and he had nothing to do with Earls/Joeys.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #99
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
I dont think this is a coincidence that it occured at the start of stampede.
Its a brand new (effectively) restaurant. This is the policy from the get go. Location @ Bankers has been closed a year for renos and is opening as a new location.

So yes, they rushed to get the restaurant open for Stampede, Calgary's busiest time.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #100
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Have always known about Joeys but are you sure about the Cactus Club? an old buddy started started that and he had nothing to do with Earls/Joeys.
CCC was formed by two former Earl's employees. Earl's is a silent partner but I might be wrong about the majority ownership part.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote