Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm always amazed at what people will say about a parent with nearly no information when something goes wrong. A gorilla died and that's absolutely tragic, but perhaps attempt to realize that sh*t happens and kids can be incredibly unpredictable. If you don't have a "and then I turned around and he/she was totally gone" story, then I'd be surprised. Hell, it happens so often people without kids have those stories.
Yeah I have already seen some GIFs on Facebook that are not flattering to the parent and having two kids I know we'll just how unpredictable young children can be so I'm not going to crap on the parent without hearing her side of the story. It's just an unfortunate situation all around as you can argue the zoo should bear some responsibility for not having the exhibit kid proof.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #82
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I have already seen some GIFs on Facebook that are not flattering to the parent and having two kids I know we'll just how unpredictable young children can be so I'm not going to crap on the parent without hearing her side of the story. It's just an unfortunate situation all around as you can argue the zoo should bear some responsibility for not having the exhibit kid proof.
I'm happy to crap on the parent, the only way this happens is if the parent puts the kid up on top of the barrier so he can get a better look, it's why better zoos have glass fencing, none the less in order for this to happen the mother had to be monumentally stupid, it is pretty much all her fault.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #83
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Also sitting here curious if when I'm tuning an engine, if I now have to say I'm "Delaying spark to induce better combustion." Heaven forbid I "###### the ignition." Might trigger someone's feelings.
Don't get me started on master and slave cylinders.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #84
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hate when animals have to die because of human stupidity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a member of PETA or anything. I eat more steak than any healthy person should. But cows and chickens are raised as a food source. This gorilla was raised and held as entertainment which, in itself, is already a bit of an ethical leap. So when we violate the boundaries of this dangerous animal and then kill it despite it doing absolutely 0 things wrong; that bothers me. Put me in the camp that says the zoo should have hit it with a tranquillizer dart and hoped for the best.

I know people will say, "You're clearly not a parent," and you're right. I'm not. Because I don't consider myself equipped to properly take care of a child right now. If I had kids I would be that idiot letting them run into gorilla cages and, of course, I would want the zookeeper to shoot the gorilla to save my kid even though I'm probably the one most deserving of a bullet.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #85
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The eyewitness who was there for the whole thing sure points to it just being a parents typical nightmare when they turn around and the kid is gone that every parent goes through with their kids.

But she's a monster.

I actually just had a discussion with a lady who said the mother should watch her child 100% of the time, a lady who's not a parent but "has a dog" and she always watches the dog and keeps it on a leash. FML I hate humans.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003230687475

Last edited by Thor; 05-30-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #86
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
I hate when animals have to die because of human stupidity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a member of PETA or anything. I eat more steak than any healthy person should. But cows and chickens are raised as a food source. This gorilla was raised and held as entertainment which, in itself, is already a bit of an ethical leap. So when we violate the boundaries of this dangerous animal and then kill it despite it doing absolutely 0 things wrong; that bothers me. Put me in the camp that says the zoo should have hit it with a tranquillizer dart and hoped for the best.
So, they toss a dart into the ape. It takes what, 5,10,20 mins to conk him out? What are the chances it is agitated after getting hit by a dart and the human child is maimed or killed? 50%? 20%? 5%? .01%? You gotta think anything over zero percent is worth killing a gorilla over, no? They are majestic apes, but of course, so are humans.

Are you an expert? Is anyone ITT? I know where we can find some experts to weigh in. The friggin' zoo keepers at the GD zoo. They shot the ape to save the human. Sucks that it happened, but they know what they are doing.

Bit surprised this story is still being talked about TBH.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #87
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The ape was agitated by the screaming and crowd freaking out.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #88
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The ape was agitated by the screaming and crowd freaking out.
Makes it even more of a no-brainer then. It was probably tremendously difficult act to pull the trigger and kill the animal, but I doubt the decision itself was difficult at all. Very tragic, but it had to be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #89
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The eyewitness who was there for the whole thing sure points to it just being a parents typical nightmare when they turn around and the kid is gone that every parent goes through with their kids.

But she's a monster.

I actually just had a discussion with a lady who said the mother should watch her child 100% of the time, a lady who's not a parent but "has a dog" and she always watches the dog and keeps it on a leash. FML I hate humans.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003230687475
I get that you go through that nightmare at Walmart, not standing next to a gorilla pit, that's on you.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #90
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I get that you go through that nightmare at Walmart, not standing next to a gorilla pit, that's on you.
Walmart is probably more dangerous than a zoo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #91
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Unfortunate for the Gorilla, always hate preventable forced hand animal deaths.

Just this passed weekend on hwy 93 up the hill from Radium there's no stopping zones as a mother grizzly and her cubs are frequenting the area. Of course, there's half a dozen cars either stopped or slowly idling along the shoulder, even witnessed a car pull a u-turn on the hwy to get a better look. But worse was the 3 individuals who felt the need to exit their car and walk towards the bears, literally 8-10 feet away and toss some hotdogs their way.

I of course reported it to the parks phone line along with their rental car license plate, however it just goes to show you how little regard some people have and unfortunately its the animal's who get eradicated for human error.
Wasn't there a story very similar to this not too long ago? Somewhere in the US, I believe. Some idiots saw a baby bison and thought it would be smart to load it into their SUV because it "looked cold." The animal had to be euthanized because its herd did not cooperate when rangers tried reuniting them together. The calf kept approaching people and cars, and they thought it was way too dangerous for people and the calf.

People are really dumb.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #92
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Which you assume is safe because what 38yrs without problems?

I swear the internet has become such a hostile and judgmental place. Or has it just always been this way and people are given a voice thanks to FB and social media to share with us their expert opinion on motherhood during a tragic accident...
Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #93
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH93 View Post
Wasn't there a story very similar to this not too long ago? Somewhere in the US, I believe.
Yellowstone. After being repeatedly told by numerous people not to put a bison calf into their car.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #94
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I swear the internet has become such a hostile and judgmental place. Or has it just always been this way and people are given a voice thanks to FB and social media to share with us their expert opinion on motherhood during a tragic accident...
I assume Walmart is safer than a twenty foot drop into a gorilla enclosure yes, its also safer than the courtyard at Stoney Mountain or Downtown Alleppo. What's your point?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #95
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Everyone on the internet is perfect, didn't you see their Facebook status?

People are judgemental and probably trying to compensate for something stupid they did once by taking it out on someone else who made a mistake. We are all capable of stupidity or mistakes. I'm sure the parents here were horrified by what happened and feel terrible enough without the amazing folks of the internet sneering and pointing their fingers.

I don't know exactly how this all occurred but unless the parent literally threw the child over a wall into the enclosure, the zoo has to take some responsibility, there is just no way this should happen even if customers are being somewhat foolish.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 05-30-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #96
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

from reddit today

shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #97
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
the only way this happens is if the parent puts the kid up on top of the barrier so he can get a better look
"Cincinnati Zoo President Thane Maynard said the boy crawled through a barrier and fell an estimated 10 to 12 feet into the moat"
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #98
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
"Cincinnati Zoo President Thane Maynard said the boy crawled through a barrier and fell an estimated 10 to 12 feet into the moat"
The kid 'crawled' through a aluminium and wire fence and then over a hedge, there are two barriers, unless someone lifted him over the fence so he could get a better look.
Either way it's neglect of monumental proportions
Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #99
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, some things are just unfortunate accidents. Maybe the zoo has reasonable barriers in place, and maybe the mom was paying reasonable attention to her kid, and something really, really unlikely and tragic happened. Not everything bad in the world is someone's fault.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #100
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I assume Walmart is safer than a twenty foot drop into a gorilla enclosure yes, its also safer than the courtyard at Stoney Mountain or Downtown Alleppo. What's your point?
How do you figure? Not much of a risk if it has almost never happened.