Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #81
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes good people (or just normal people) simply make bad decisions. I think a lot of people here have probably done reckless things thinking that the worst case outcome couldn't happen to them. (For males, it seems it is in our DNA). Just a guess, but I would say that most of the time when someone dies, the timing and cause of the death is due to decisions the person made in their life. I don't see any reason to point this one out as any different. It's always sad to see someone taken early no matter what the cause.

I am not sure I would say I was a fan of his, but I did enjoy many of the films he was in. He definitely had a legion of fans behind him, so my condolences to them.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I don't understand why poor people don't just be rich. Why do bad hockey players be bad and not good? The most important thing to do with something like this is to place blame. I am totally at a loss at what to think about something until I place blame somewhere.
Blame the system because it's never the user's fault right.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Sometimes good people (or just normal people) simply make bad decisions. I think a lot of people here have probably done reckless things thinking that the worst case outcome couldn't happen to them. (For males, it seems it is in our DNA). Just a guess, but I would say that most of the time when someone dies, the timing and cause of the death is due to decisions the person made in their life. I don't see any reason to point this one out as any different. It's always sad to see someone taken early no matter what the cause.

I am not sure I would say I was a fan of his, but I did enjoy many of the films he was in. He definitely had a legion of fans behind him, so my condolences to them.
These actors and athletes get put on a pedestal because they are really good at doing something that brings the masses entertainment. What gets forgotten is that although they may be good at their craft they are still just like us and just as able to be a #### up as a normal person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #84
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I also think it has to do with the fear people have with their own mortality- being able to place blame brings people comfort, as it suggests that the person brought the death on themselves and therefore eliminates the randomness of it all... ie. "that could never happen to me"
I'd fully agree with that.

I've done it before, you read about a 26 or 32 year old dying and you think "oh my, how horrible" but then rationalize a bit once you found out how it happened and measure against your own mortality risk. I find the occurrences of dropping dead of a heart failure that sometimes inexplicably kills young people scares the crap out of me. Then when you find out later it was because they were a junkie and injected steroids/booze/cocaine directly into their heart I feel a little better about my own mortality.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #85
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I understand people suffering from addictions and things like that. It says he was sober 23 years, I'm sure his life has dramatically improved over that span, so what castes you to go out like a junkie ?

The worst part is he is leaving behind 3 young kids. Watching the pre game in the super bowl yesterday you see the interview with Russell Wilson talking about his father, and how left him with so many small life lessons that he carried with him to overcome obstacles. The joy in his voice when he talked about and thinking how he could be at the 50 yard line watching him play.

This junkie selfishly robbed his kids of special moments that people don't appreciate.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #86
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
I understand people suffering from addictions and things like that. It says he was sober 23 years, I'm sure his life has dramatically improved over that span, so what castes you to go out like a junkie ?

The worst part is he is leaving behind 3 young kids. Watching the pre game in the super bowl yesterday you see the interview with Russell Wilson talking about his father, and how left him with so many small life lessons that he carried with him to overcome obstacles. The joy in his voice when he talked about and thinking how he could be at the 50 yard line watching him play.

This junkie selfishly robbed his kids of special moments that people don't appreciate.
You clearly don't understand addiction.

YYC in LAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #87
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man ... if you can relapse after 20 years?! Jesus, Heroin really is the worst.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #88
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
Some people have issues coping with life problems. Everyone faces problems during their lifetimes. Some face steeper challenges than others but we all are faced with hurdles. Even the rich and wealthy have their issues that maybe we can't associate with but nevertheless they are big issues to some celebrities. The fact that we see many people OD as well as commit suicide shows that a portion of the population struggles with facing life issues.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #89
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Some people have issues coping with life problems. Everyone faces problems during their lifetimes. Some face steeper challenges than others but we all are faced with hurdles. Even the rich and wealthy have their issues that maybe we can't associate with but nevertheless they are big issues to some celebrities. The fact that we see many people OD as well as commit suicide shows that a portion of the population struggles with facing life issues.
Doesn't really make it right. Many people deal with problems in healthy ways.

There are also portions of the population that deal with their struggles by murdering and committing other henious acts. Hoffman has left his family to now deal with this tragedy rather than dealing with whatever issues he had appropriately. He obviously struggled and was able to get clean, so what pushed him over the edge this time?

I'm no saint and definitely have my fair shar of vices, but I really can't understand the mindset of sticking that needle in your arm the first time. You know it can kill you. You know it will likely lead to a hard-drug addiction. What's to gain really? How can someone convince you, or you convince yourself, that sticking that in your arm is a good idea?

Really liked him as an actor, it's sad he goes so young and leaves a family behind.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #90
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

There are also portions of the population that deal with their struggles by murdering and committing other henious acts. Hoffman has left his family to now deal with this tragedy rather than dealing with whatever issues he had appropriately. He obviously struggled and was able to get clean, so what pushed him over the edge this time?

I'm no saint and definitely have my fair shar of vices, but I really can't understand the mindset of sticking that needle in your arm the first time. You know it can kill you. You know it will likely lead to a hard-drug addiction. What's to gain really? How can someone convince you, or you convince yourself, that sticking that in your arm is a good idea?

Really liked him as an actor, it's sad he goes so young and leaves a family behind.
I read that it wasn't the first time he relapsed since he went sober at age 22. I think it was just last year he was in rehab for a prescription medication addiction that led him back to heroin.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #91
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still love that awkward laugh...

Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Fivenagame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #92
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What I've always had a hard time getting my head around is trying that first thing of heroine. Crack sure, its just taking a puff of something, but sticking a needle in the arm? You gotta be fataed right up to get to that point, obliterated on something else.

Guess he has 3 kids under age 10 that he was supposed to pick up in the morning. Just a terrible thing.

Good quote from that article:

Instead of standing out in these early films, he stood within them—gauging the pace and tone of the action around him and blending in so delicately that it's not uncommon for even Hoffman fanatics to look back on his career and think, I forgot he was in that.
I can't imagine what kind of extreme self-destructive mentality would lead someone to inject themselves with heroin the first time either. It sucks because that one terrible decision can haunt someone for the rest of their lives.

As I said before, heroin does not take away someone's humanity. Hoffman paid for his bad decisions with his life and it is so sad to see that his family will really be the ones who will have to pick up the pieces.

Heroin is a b****. It takes too many good people away.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its clearly Hoffman's fault. 100%. Its just that it doesn't matter, especially when its not debatable. Its his fault.
Well ultimately he is dead by his own doing unless you believe someone else put the needle in him. I know people on forums like to debate but really there's nothing here to debate.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-03-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

This is no different than say Heath Ledger. The fact that this type of thing happens over and over simply shows off the flaws in the human DNA. We aren't a perfect species and some humans can't deal with life.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #95
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is no different than say Heath Ledger. The fact that this type of thing happens over and over simply shows off the flaws in the human DNA. We aren't a perfect species and some humans can't deal with life.
Well yes and no. Both were accidental overdoses. One is on prescription meds, the mixes I assume could be very complicated and Ledger may not have been fully aware of, or maybe he was. Prescription meds is a whole other topic anyways, it seems like more people die from those than the hard stuff.

Hoffman obviously had a long history with heroin and would have been well-aware of the effects.

Either case is sad, and Fotze is right, the blame is on the indivuals of course, but it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day, he is dead and that is sad for his family, friends and fans.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #96
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be honest, and I am sure I will be attacked and called bad things. But, i find it difficult to be upset by this death or others like it.

While I enjoyed his movies, I can't help but view this much like the Justin Bieber junk.

It is the cult of celebrity.

Many people die the world over in much worse conditions, by their own, and other's hand.

Sorry.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #97
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
What I've always had a hard time getting my head around is trying that first thing of heroine. Crack sure, its just taking a puff of something, but sticking a needle in the arm? You gotta be fataed right up to get to that point, obliterated on something else.

Guess he has 3 kids under age 10 that he was supposed to pick up in the morning. Just a terrible thing.

Good quote from that article:

Instead of standing out in these early films, he stood within them—gauging the pace and tone of the action around him and blending in so delicately that it's not uncommon for even Hoffman fanatics to look back on his career and think, I forgot he was in that.
My cousin got started with Oxycodone. He'd been prescribed some after surgery to repair his ACL. He couldn't take the stuff without becoming violently ill, but was in so much pain that he tried to find any way to take it. He read online that you can crush the pills and snort it, and that doesn't come with nausea. Unfortunately, it also allows the entirety of the dose to go into your bloodstream, and not over time as designed.

Basically, he was an instant addict after that. Oxy is so controlled that it became harder and harder for him to find opiates, so he got whatever he could. He robbed a Shoppers, got caught 2 blocks away, high as a kite.

He devolved into standard junkie patterns, stealing everything he can, including my grandmother's wedding band because "she wasn't using it." He's since been in rehab several times, done every drug in between, claims to be clean, but isn't, and we're all just waiting for the phone call telling us he's dead.

It's sad, but we can't do anything to help him. We can't force him into rehab, we can't force him to do anything, and we're just trying not to enable him.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #98
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I must be honest, and I am sure I will be attacked and called bad things. But, i find it difficult to be upset by this death or others like it.

While I enjoyed his movies, I can't help but view this much like the Justin Bieber junk.

It is the cult of celebrity.

Many people die the world over in much worse conditions, by their own, and other's hand.

Sorry.
Except that Hoffman was a great talent and the world is a poorer place without him. Bieber is a ######bag who has contributed exactly nothing to humanity.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #99
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well ultimately he is dead by his own doing unless you believe someone else put the needle in him. I know people on forums like to debate but really there's nothing here to debate.
It's no different than people who smoke and then die of smoking related illnesses, or people who over eat on food that is known to be unhealthy, and then die from that. People know the risks and then still do it. Some people, for whatever reason, just have less self-control when it comes these things.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #100
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
My cousin got started with Oxycodone. He'd been prescribed some after surgery to repair his ACL. He couldn't take the stuff without becoming violently ill, but was in so much pain that he tried to find any way to take it. He read online that you can crush the pills and snort it, and that doesn't come with nausea. Unfortunately, it also allows the entirety of the dose to go into your bloodstream, and not over time as designed.

Basically, he was an instant addict after that. Oxy is so controlled that it became harder and harder for him to find opiates, so he got whatever he could. He robbed a Shoppers, got caught 2 blocks away, high as a kite.

He devolved into standard junkie patterns, stealing everything he can, including my grandmother's wedding band because "she wasn't using it." He's since been in rehab several times, done every drug in between, claims to be clean, but isn't, and we're all just waiting for the phone call telling us he's dead.

It's sad, but we can't do anything to help him. We can't force him into rehab, we can't force him to do anything, and we're just trying not to enable him.
The addictive personality. I've got it. I've never tried anything more powerful than cigarettes as I loved them almost instantly. I quit more than a decade ago and want one every damn day. I feel for these poor #######s who get hooked.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: