Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #81
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is that a fact? Prove it.
It's common sense. There's little point to publicly and legally going after a homeless person. If you are a millionaire, different story.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #82
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoman Empire View Post
Is there some reason why they haven't called up Andersson to see what he can do at the NHL level for a few games? Not ready? I'd like to see if he can bring more to the table than Jokipakka, Wotherspoon or Kulak.
Andersson is a 20 year old in his first season of pro. I doubt you see him in the NHL this season unless the Flames crap the bed and are out of a playoff race at the end of the season. Kulak and Wotherspoon are both 23 yrs old. It's reasonable to think they are better suited to step into the NHL right now.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #83
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't know why the team couldn't take a flyer on Ribeiro....if he's a UFA...he would have been with the team for 2 months...moved Bennett to wing and let Ribeiro play 3rd line minutes...and help on the powerplay..

I like how people bring up their 'holier than thou' opinions in these situations. the only things that should frankly be considered are 'Can he help us?' and 'Is he allowed to play hockey games by the NHL?'. Everything else is literally equivalent to gossip. You'll never know the complete truth.

Last edited by robaur; 02-04-2017 at 12:50 PM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #84
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Don't know why the team couldn't take a flyer on Ribeiro....if he's a UFA...he would have been with the team for 2 months...moved Bennett to wing and let Ribeiro play 3rd line minutes...and help on the powerplay..

I like how people bring up their 'holier than thou' opinions in these situations. the only things that should frankly be considered are 'Can he help us?' and 'Is he allowed to play hockey games by the NHL?'. Everything else is literally equivalent to gossip. You'll never know the complete truth.
Disagree. The organization needs to consider whether they want to bring him into the family and represent them. Whether true or not, do they want to be associated with him based on the office allegations, regardless if proven or not.

Sure they had to do the same exercise when they decided to bring in Bert. I did not have a problem with Bert, I would have a problem with Ribeiro. Not enough of a problem to stop me from watching the team and cheering for them, so I'm not trying to get on my high horse, but I'd prefer if we didn't associate with him.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #85
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he was 100% innocent why settle? Why pay the accuser?

Sorry, but this guy seems slimy and I am glad we didn't put a claim in. I think if GG has coached him in the past he knows what he is like, there is a reason he we didn't claim him.

Moving on.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #86
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
It's common sense. There's little point to publicly and legally going after a homeless person. If you are a millionaire, different story.
I don't know. From what I understand only a small percentage of cases are actually reported. This is due, in a large part, to the victim's reputation and history being dragged through the mud and the humiliation that goes along with that. Millionaires have more resources to do this.
the2bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #87
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

Sorry, but this guy seems slimy and I am glad we didn't put a claim in. I think if GG has coached him in the past he knows what he is like, there is a reason he we didn't claim him.

Moving on.
I worked with someone who was Ribeiro's neighbour.
She would agree with you.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #88
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

Moving on.
If she was 100% after justice, then why settle? Has an innocent person never settled before? A settlement does not necessarily indicate guilt. Ask any lawyer.

That's why I say that we will never know the truth.

Last edited by robaur; 02-04-2017 at 01:37 PM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone intersted in Ribiero would be better off trading and making the Preds eat some salary in the deal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #90
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's only making $1.05 m
Don't think that's the problem.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
He's only making $1.05 m
Don't think that's the problem.
He's a $3.5. I think you are looking at an old contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mike-ribeiro
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #92
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames looking for a 3rd line centre so they can move Bennett to the wing. Not looking for someone who wouldn't even replace Stajan on this roster.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #93
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you think 29 other GMs are also overly principled?

Quote:
If she was 100% after justice, then why settle? Has an innocent person never settled before? A settlement does not necessarily indicate guilt. Ask any lawyer.

That's why I say that we will never know the truth.
Do you have any idea how unpleasant it is to go through a sexual assault trial (regardless of which table your are sitting at)? Without any guarantee that truth=conviction? Settlement can simply be the most sensible solution for both parties based on the system we live in.

My opinion here, but I think it is exceedingly rare for accusations to be totally false/fabricated. There may not be sufficient wrongdoing to justify a specific conviction, but there is almost always some level of wrongdoing...
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #94
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's a $3.5. I think you are looking at an old contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mike-ribeiro
Got me there, my bad.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #95
donkee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ribiero was bought out by AZ because of his off-ice problems, and Nashville took a chance on him knowing his history. I'd say it's safe to presume that he f'ed up again, and is heading down the same path of self-destruction that he was in a few years ago. His days as a pro hockey player are definitely numbered.

Quote:
Poile, like many, heard the stories about Ribeiro's misdeeds. And, of course, he called around to various people in the game to see what was what.

"You hear a lot of things but what you hear and what you know may be two different things," Poile told ESPN.com. "They were very open about a lot of situations."

Still, Poile made things crystal clear to Ribeiro: This was not a place to come and take a couple of swings at getting his life back on track. He was down to one strike. Act up and the team would be done with him.
-from an ESPN article 2 years ago

He was a great offensive player though. Highly intelligent and great puck skills.
donkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #96
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dispute the intelligence part, obviously.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #97
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkee View Post
Ribiero was bought out by AZ because of his off-ice problems, and Nashville took a chance on him knowing his history. I'd say it's safe to presume that he f'ed up again, and is heading down the same path of self-destruction that he was in a few years ago. His days as a pro hockey player are definitely numbered.

-from an ESPN article 2 years ago

He was a great offensive player though. Highly intelligent and great puck skills.
He has been healthy scratched a number of games so I think he is simply not the player he once was. No reason to take a flyer on a guy like this with his reputation and diminishing skills.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #98
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Regardless of his off ice activity, he's enough of a POS on the ice to not want him near our team.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #99
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is that a fact? Prove it.
How would you do that?

To prove it would assume that the outcome of each case is 100% correct, which is untrue. Otherwise you have false positives and false negatives.

You'd also need to know the truth in cases that were settled.

There's also the fact that a large portion of rape/sexual assault victims don't report their crime.

It's happened before where a celebrity was accused of something that they maybe didn't commit.. and the end result was a settlement.

Just saying we shouldn't judge a hockey player on something we don't know much about. We should judge him for his hockey playing abilities.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ We shouldn't exonerate them without specific knowledge either. It isn't fair to make a conclusive judgment either way, but it is fair to hold healthy skepticism based on repeated nuggets.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: