Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #81
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst part of all this is that it's going to cost me $600. NHL 07 forced me to buy a 360, and this will make me buy the One.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #82
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep the only reason I'll be getting a PS4 is to play NHL15.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #83
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The worst part of all this is that it's going to cost me $600. NHL 07 forced me to buy a 360, and this will make me buy the One.
I might skip 15 for this reason alone. I can't imagine I can convince myself of enough One exclusives to make it worthwhile. Maybe by the time 16 comes out...

EDIT - Though it might be worth it to not have to hear "Finish, finish, finish...and I'm not talking about the country".

Last edited by kirant; 05-05-2014 at 07:03 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #84
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Where are you seeing that it hasn't been introduced? I can't see why a rule wouldn't be instated within the game.
I meant it was laughably bad not to have it in LAST year's version. We shouldn't have to wait for officially implemented rules to be introduced in the game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #85
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I might skip 15 for this reason alone. I can't imagine I can convince myself of enough One exclusives to make it worthwhile. Maybe by the time 16 comes out...

EDIT - Though it might be worth it to not have to hear "Finish, finish, finish...and I'm not talking about the country".
Or to have your CPU controlled teammate take a tripping call and then have Bill Clement rip on you for being lazy for the next 20 seconds.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #86
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I meant it was laughably bad not to have it in LAST year's version. We shouldn't have to wait for officially implemented rules to be introduced in the game.
I don't know if you remember, but there was this whole lockout thing that happened last year. So kind of hard to put the new rules in, if you don't know what they are going to be. The new divisions were named, A, B, C, and D on release.

I'm looking forward to the game... always a fun time.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #87
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post

No point in waiting in buying a Xbox One if you plan on buying it eventually. It's not like the system will fail to work with the future exclusives.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #88
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll get it just for the drastic visual upgrade. I passed on NHL 14 because it looked to same-y and I wanted to not be burnt out when the next gen of hockey games started.

EDIT: It was also laughably bad that this year's version didn't have the hybrid icing in it. The very first thing that needs to be done before any finicky features or special physics engine is getting the rules of the damn game right.
i know it's been said:

NHLPA votes to approve hybrid icing
Monday, 09.30.2013
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684869

NHL 14 Release date:
September 10, 2013

Yes - clearly it should of been in NHL 14, EA should know this stuff

------------------

i'm just excited for new commentators, that's worth $70 bucks alone
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #89
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
i know it's been said:

NHLPA votes to approve hybrid icing
Monday, 09.30.2013
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684869

NHL 14 Release date:
September 10, 2013

Yes - clearly it should of been in NHL 14, EA should know this stuff

------------------

i'm just excited for new commentators, that's worth $70 bucks alone
So? That was 8 months ago. Patch it in. You'd think it would be a priority to get your NHL simulation game to actually follow NHL rules before goofing around with tuner packs and roster updates.

And no division names? The division names were revealed in July, at least a month before the game was finished: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678456

'Authentic NHL experience' is just clearly not at the top of the marketing checkpoints they wanted to hit in the last game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #90
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So? That was 8 months ago. Patch it in. You'd think it would be a priority to get your NHL simulation game to actually follow NHL rules before goofing around with tuner packs and roster updates.

And no division names? The division names were revealed in July, at least a month before the game was finished: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678456

'Authentic NHL experience' is just clearly not at the top of the marketing checkpoints they wanted to hit in the last game.
I don't know man, I'm not a programmer but I suspect hybrid icing implementation is slightly more complicated than just 'patch it in'.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kolbe31 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #91
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So? That was 8 months ago. Patch it in.
If they could've, they would've.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #92
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I don't know man, I'm not a programmer but I suspect hybrid icing implementation is slightly more complicated than just 'patch it in'.
This is my guess. The division names? Probably patchable. A totally different icing mechanic? Possibly not. Not to mention the resource shift that likely occurs once the game releases and they start focusing on the next years game.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #93
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This is my guess. The division names? Probably patchable. A totally different icing mechanic? Possibly not. Not to mention the resource shift that likely occurs once the game releases and they start focusing on the next years game.
I know nothing about programming, but I feel like the icing would be fairly easy to patch in? It's a race to an imaginary line across the faceoff dots, it's not like it's some complicated rule that's open to interpretation.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #94
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Didn't they fix the division names? I swear I saw metro/pacific ect
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #95
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If they could've, they would've.
To be fair, they rarely follow-up with more than a single patch in any given production year. After being promised a tuner/patch to fix the bouncing puck off the end boards caused by their last tuner/patch I am still dealing with that insanity 5 months later.

EA will get one free pass from me this year. Knowing that they were going to be transferring to another generation has me believing that they have been investing in the new system for the better part of the past 2 years. NHL 14 is a wash only because I expect that they have been placing their energy into 15 in preparation for the video game paradigm shift.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #96
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
No point in waiting in buying a Xbox One if you plan on buying it eventually. It's not like the system will fail to work with the future exclusives.
That's an "if". I'm not sure I'll ever actually use a One for anything else as no game has caught my attention and I've slowly gravitated to making games more than playing them.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #97
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Im waiting for the usual price drop of the Xbox before the school season starts up again.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #98
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought 14 was good. I remember seeing an interview with Rammer and I think it was NHL 10, or 11, could be when they first introduced the new physics engine... but he stated that it was going to be a 3 year plan. People bitch and complain about how the game looks the same as previous years but working with a development cycle of less then 10 months makes it tough to make a new game EVERY year... you build on what is there, and add accordingly. Of a to do list of 30 things they can maybe add 4 or 5 of them.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people judge a development team for being lazy and stuff and judging them based on zero knowledge of what goes into making the game...

That said I expect 15 to be fun, they've had a full year and a bit to work on it, the new ignite engine looks promising, and being that it's being used on all titles there should be some consistency among their sporting titles.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #99
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a programmer - it wouldn't be easy to get that in a patch form, it would require a lot of change.

Divisions would also be hard to get in, and generating a schedule with the mismatched teams, and then the playoff format would require a lot of change to.

What seems simple in changing a lot of the time isn't, both of these 2 things would actually take a lot of time to get in place, definitely with a patch (for examples divisions - you'd have to somehow have both systems in place to maintain current existing be a gm modes, online leagues, etc)

It's not 'it should be easy to get in patch form' - it really isn't
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #100
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
I'm a programmer - it wouldn't be easy to get that in a patch form, it would require a lot of change.

Divisions would also be hard to get in, and generating a schedule with the mismatched teams, and then the playoff format would require a lot of change to.

What seems simple in changing a lot of the time isn't, both of these 2 things would actually take a lot of time to get in place, definitely with a patch (for examples divisions - you'd have to somehow have both systems in place to maintain current existing be a gm modes, online leagues, etc)

It's not 'it should be easy to get in patch form' - it really isn't
I'm no programmer, but the ones I talk to fall in line with what you're saying. There are loads of things that seem really simple, but when you add them to a web of other pieces, suddenly you get a game of code jenga. You can manipulate one item, but there's a chance it can impact other areas of play.

One of my favourite examples was a few Mac OS's ago, you couldn't eject a disc from the drive if one of your apps was using it in any capacity. What was enraging was that the system never told you what app was using the disc, it just gave you an error. If you had 20 apps open, you had to close them all to eject. Apparently because that functionality was so deeply engrained, to fix that one nagging little annoyance the entire thing would need to be basically torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

Tags
chel , ea nhl , ea sports , next gen , nhl