Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #81
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
The caving tours is canmorecavetours.com.
That was a LOT of fun, but not for the claustrophobic or even the 'I'm not sure if I am or not'.

The rappel part was neat, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #82
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I just got my wife a gift certificate for a glass blowing class. I am sure she will love it as we have been watching Blown Away on Netflix and she always says it looks fun. Also on the Amazing Race they did it and again she said how fun it looks.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 09:00 AM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must...resist...crass...joke.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #84
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have been patiently waiting for that part of the program. But people seem to like the way the thread has been going so I have kept out of it...for now. Although, the community gif above teetered up to the line but then it fell back into sensible, useful information. Not my bag.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:31 PM   #85
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nellie from Arrested Development teaches that class.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #86
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Anybody ever try these adventure game experiences before?

This one is for Banff but they then for Calgary and Canmore as well.
https://epicexperiences.ca/shop/banf...ures-of-banff/

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:55 PM   #87
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If you haven't before, a Chinese Hot Pot is heaps of fun. Well priced too.
Any recommendations for a decent Chinese hot pot place?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #88
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Piggybacking off of this thread (thanks surferguy!). My nephew is turning 2, and he already has SO many toys and books and things like that, so I don't want to get more stuff. They live in Chestermere, but come into the city often. What would be one or two really cool gift cards for experiences that a 2 year old (and the parents) would enjoy? They've been to Telus Spark but he wasn't old enough to really enjoy it. He loves the zoo but they go often already, so I'm hoping for something different.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #89
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Piggybacking off of this thread (thanks surferguy!). My nephew is turning 2, and he already has SO many toys and books and things like that, so I don't want to get more stuff. They live in Chestermere, but come into the city often. What would be one or two really cool gift cards for experiences that a 2 year old (and the parents) would enjoy? They've been to Telus Spark but he wasn't old enough to really enjoy it. He loves the zoo but they go often already, so I'm hoping for something different.
Thomas the Train usually comes to Heritage Park sometime in the summer, and that's a good time for that age group
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2023, 04:52 PM   #90
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who is writing this whilst trying to herd a 3 and 5 year old, this is definitely right in my wheel house….

1) I know you covered this but zoo is number one in this house and we haven’t had much luck with the science center.
2) Our kids looooove Heritage park for some reason. I don’t get it, but they have a blast every time we take them.
3) Aspen Crossing does a bunch of cool themed train rides for kids. I mentioned in another thread our last experience wasn’t fantastic, so maybe look at recent Google reviews. I’m willing to say our one poor experience was just a one off thing. https://aspencrossing.com/
4) Our local swimming pool/rec center had super cheap annual passes for families. Our kids loved swimming when they were that age.
5) Both kids have loved Flames, Wranglers and Cavalry FC games.
6) we haven’t done Calaway park yet, but I think 2 might still be a bit young? Someone else can chime in for sure.

I’ll post back if I can think anything else I’ve missed that they’ve really enjoyed!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #91
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's out of season at the moment, but my trio of nephews (2, 5, 7) love the Calgary Corn Maze. Could be a mid-summer idea.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2023, 07:45 PM   #92
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah my kid loved the corn maze type places when he was young too. Or anywhere with a petting zoo.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:55 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
As someone who is writing this whilst trying to herd a 3 and 5 year old, this is definitely right in my wheel house….

1) I know you covered this but zoo is number one in this house and we haven’t had much luck with the science center.
2) Our kids looooove Heritage park for some reason. I don’t get it, but they have a blast every time we take them.
3) Aspen Crossing does a bunch of cool themed train rides for kids. I mentioned in another thread our last experience wasn’t fantastic, so maybe look at recent Google reviews. I’m willing to say our one poor experience was just a one off thing. https://aspencrossing.com/
4) Our local swimming pool/rec center had super cheap annual passes for families. Our kids loved swimming when they were that age.
5) Both kids have loved Flames, Wranglers and Cavalry FC games.
6) we haven’t done Calaway park yet, but I think 2 might still be a bit young? Someone else can chime in for sure.

I’ll post back if I can think anything else I’ve missed that they’ve really enjoyed!
This is pretty good advice, I'd add trying out The Saskatoon Farm or Granary road, theres usually lots for kids to do there.

Aspen Crossing is great. Theres markets, food, train rides...you may be bored by the train ride but kids seem to love it and its only an hour away.

And sir...you took a 3 year old to a Cavs game? I admire your dedication to indoctrinating them young but...you're a braver man than I.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:36 PM   #94
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is pretty good advice, I'd add trying out The Saskatoon Farm or Granary road, theres usually lots for kids to do there.

Aspen Crossing is great. Theres markets, food, train rides...you may be bored by the train ride but kids seem to love it and its only an hour away.

And sir...you took a 3 year old to a Cavs game? I admire your dedication to indoctrinating them young but...you're a braver man than I.
Hahaha, I can’t even speak to the Cavs game as we had specifically planned for that game, but then my laser eye surgery got pushed back two weeks, so my wife took our kids AND another 5 year old by herself because I still could not see. But yah, all the kids loved it and my wife survived…so, maybe an option?
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:52 PM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Hahaha, I can’t even speak to the Cavs game as we had specifically planned for that game, but then my laser eye surgery got pushed back two weeks, so my wife took our kids AND another 5 year old by herself because I still could not see. But yah, all the kids loved it and my wife survived…so, maybe an option?
Wow...she's a Champ.

Theres usually lots for kids to do, but I was thinking 3 and 5 might be pushing it. But hey, otherwise great!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:29 PM   #96
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’d say +1 for Heritage Park. It’s not great in winter when just Gasoline Alley is open, but in the spring/summer/fall, it’s great. I like it, and so do the kids. The kids like all the carnival rides (and it’s included in admission), plus the train, boat, coal mine, tipis; candy store, ice cream shoppe; etc.

In winter, it’s a bit of a trek, but the Sylvan Lake winter festival is good in February. The public library has some good free programs, or even my kids like the Calgary Tower.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #97
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I took my niece to Pisces at about 2-3…..4?, and she thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever seen. Might as well have been the Dubai Aquarium.

Other than that, I got little. Although I did go to a sleepover at Tyrell Museum when I was a kid, it was quite memorable. We slept in our sleeping bags on the floor. I don't even know if they do that anymore.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:58 PM   #98
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Thomas the Train usually comes to Heritage Park sometime in the summer, and that's a good time for that age group
He comes 2 weekends in May and I highly recommend. All of Heritage Park is set up for trains for kids.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:03 PM   #99
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My kids loved going to Drumheller and the dinosaurs, then the reptile place, and the water park at the foot of the T-Rex you can go inside. That was like 20 years ago so I am not sure what's left there.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:41 AM   #100
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I just got my wife a gift certificate for a glass blowing class. I am sure she will love it as we have been watching Blown Away on Netflix and she always says it looks fun. Also on the Amazing Race they did it and again she said how fun it looks.
I just wanted to follow up on this. If anyone is looking for a new fun experience I highly recommend glass blowing. We went last weekend to Fascapple and we had a blast. The people there were very friendly and helpful. Between the two of us we made 9 pieces. We made bowls, vases, drinking glasses, birds and a cat. My wife is still talking about it and how she wants to do it again.

Also one of the guys there is going to be on the new season on Blown Away on Netflix that starts this weekend.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post: