Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #81
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I just don't see how it matters. Quit a month before training camp... you say that like it's a bad thing. He didn't break the law, didn't do anything immoral, didn't take any cheap shots, maintained his composure... he did nothing immoral or illegal so why care?

He didn't hurt anyones career he did literally nothing wrong but serve his own interests while bringing zero harm.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I just don't see how it matters. Quit a month before training camp... you say that like it's a bad thing. He didn't break the law, didn't do anything immoral, didn't take any cheap shots, maintained his composure... he did nothing immoral or illegal so why care?

He didn't hurt anyones career he did literally nothing wrong but serve his own interests while bringing zero harm.
Nobody is saying he should be drawn and quartered. As a Flames fan if Gulutzan quit this week on the Flames for similar reasons I would not be happy with the predicament he would be leaving the organization. I know it's just a job and he can quit but his decision alters the plight of an entire franchise.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #83
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nobody is saying he should be drawn and quartered. As a Flames fan if Gulutzan quit this week on the Flames for similar reasons I would not be happy with the predicament he would be leaving the organization. I know it's just a job and he can quit but his decision alters the plight of an entire franchise.
If he quit a month before training camp I'd figure clearly things aren't working out and that the team will be better off without a coach that doesn't want to be there.

When staying is going to be worse for everyone you leave. Simple logic, Roy wasn't going to help the team if there's that much tension. Addition by subtraction.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #84
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In the three year’s since Patrick Roy’s taken over the team, the club has been a mess defensively. Per Hockey Analysis, the club has been outshot at even strength every season under his reign with an average of -4.3 shots against per sixty minutes. To put that in perspective over the same span, the Edmonton Oilers are at -3.5. The Avalanche are also second in that span with a 44.8 Corsi for, behind the Buffalo Sabres who might be trying to be bad. The Avalanche haven’t. Roy has continued to ignore analytics or anything backing up his fixable issues and has preached that his team is on the right track.
http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove...e-problem.html
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #85
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Roy is not a good NHL coach and this is a blessing for the Avs organization IMO. Sucks to be suddenly without a coach one month before training camp, but if I was an Avs fan I'd be pretty happy that Roy is no longer the coach.

Hopefully Sakic F's up though when he hires the replacement, because I hate the Avs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #86
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fairly scathing indictment by Hickey in the Gazette: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ho...no-team-player
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

completely agree with him
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Roy is a egomaniacal primadonna? No way? When did this happen?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #89
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he gets another NHL job.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I don't think he gets another NHL job.
Oh he will, once Montreal is desperate enough.

I dont think teams honestly think he'll improve them, its almost like a PR stunt.

"Come see the game, Roy is bound to do something maniacally stupid!"

I just dont think hes happy being in the background, if he isnt in the spotlight he isnt happy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #91
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Once there is another team in Quebec all bets are off
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #92
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's hasn't proven to be an effective NHL coach or executive, he's proven for decades he's a nut job and he left his role in Colorado throwing passive aggressive "it's not me it's them" shots. Officially burned any bridges with all the organizations he had any inside or emotional credentials with. He won't work in the NHL again unless as someone pointed out Quebec gets another team and someone in the head office has a soft spot for Roy.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #93
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
He's hasn't proven to be an effective NHL coach or executive, he's proven for decades he's a nut job and he left his role in Colorado throwing passive aggressive "it's not me it's them" shots. Officially burned any bridges with all the organizations he had any inside or emotional credentials with. He won't work in the NHL again unless as someone pointed out Quebec gets another team and someone in the head office has a soft spot for Roy.
Sakic hasnt shown much in his role. Roy is a hothead, but he may have realized Sakic is incompetent and didnt want to be part of that sinking ship any longer especially if he thought a completely different direction was needed.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #94
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

We shouldn't be surprised that Roy quit on his team. This isn't the first time he's done it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #95
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Sakic hasnt shown much in his role. Roy is a hothead, but he may have realized Sakic is incompetent and didnt want to be part of that sinking ship any longer especially if he thought a completely different direction was needed.
I don't disagree about Sakic. Doesn't change the fact that Roy hasn't accomplished anything at the NHL level post playing days. Even if it wasn't his fault, acting like a hot head and pointing the fingers at others as you run for the door is not going to land him another job. As a coach an executive, he hasn't accomplished anything that would make anyone's think putting up with Roy's #### will be remotely worth it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #96
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh he will, once Montreal is desperate enough.

I dont think teams honestly think he'll improve them, its almost like a PR stunt.

"Come see the game, Roy is bound to do something maniacally stupid!"

I just dont think hes happy being in the background, if he isnt in the spotlight he isnt happy.
Unless Colorado picks up Bob, I don't know who why Montreal hires Roy over Hartley.

...people in Quebec know Rosetta Stone is a thing, right?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #97
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Quote:
To put that in perspective over the same span, the Edmonton Oilers are...
http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove...e-problem.html
Ah, the old standard NHL measure of suck. You know your team's in for a rough go in an article when this line gets trotted out.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote