Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2023, 09:15 AM   #81
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Favourite player. Brings a tear to the eye thinking the Flames assigned him negative value in a trade to allow them to sign a soulless mercenary looking for retirement funds, and the team no longer believed in a guy that never stopped believing in the team.

It's the move that will tarnish Brad's "legacy" for me forever.
Yeah there’s a lot of moves that didn’t work out for Tre that are defensible because he was trying to make the team better.

The Mony trade was straight up indefensible and atrocious for this franchise. I haven’t lamented a flames move this much since the Phaneuf trade.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #82
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Such revisionist history on Monahan. Dude was Mr. Clutch and a hard game performer before the injuries. He was our highest scoring player in several playoff bouts. Don't know where the soft talk came from- even when injured he scored his goals from the dirty areas getting cross checked.
The soft talk came from people who never played hockey, or at least haven't stepped on the ice in a decade. The front of the net is the hardest place to make a living.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:19 AM   #83
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's crazy is he was over 80% on draws in one of the recent games I watched. His wrists must be doing much better
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The soft talk came from people who never played hockey, or at least haven't stepped on the ice in a decade. The front of the net is the hardest place to make a living.
Eric Francis was the originator in the media.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #85
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
What's crazy is he was over 80% on draws in one of the recent games I watched. His wrists must be doing much better
I'm starting to think our medical team is dog####.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #86
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm starting to think our medical team is dog####.
I think the issue was that Monahan was such a good soldier that he would play even when his body was telling him not to and the Flames didn't do a good enough job of stepping in and shutting him down.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:24 AM   #87
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Monahan deserves success. But he was a less physical version of Huberdeau. Except he didn’t pass as well and had a very good shot. We got rid of one and kept one. Neither guy can play hard when they need to. Love that he’s doing well though in Montreal.
Worst post I this thread wow. Mony plays nothing NOTHING like huberdeau.

Last edited by Kipper_3434; 11-03-2023 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Sp
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #88
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear my Flames number 23 with pride.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #89
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t really miss Monahan on this team, he doesn’t move the needle.

Just hard to accept that we paid so much to get rid of him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #90
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Doesn't move the needle? the guy is 3rd in franchise history for GWG.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:59 AM   #91
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Doesn't move the needle? the guy is 3rd in franchise history for GWG.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Such revisionist history on Monahan. Dude was Mr. Clutch and a hard game performer before the injuries. He was our highest scoring player in several playoff bouts. Don't know where the soft talk came from- even when injured he scored his goals from the dirty areas getting cross checked.
I don't either. But it was sure there. He was also hated for not being a speedy dangler like other centres. But the dude was what he was and did well at it until he couldn't. He may have now found a way to play around the injuries or finally have healed them. Or they may catch up again.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:03 AM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah there’s a lot of moves that didn’t work out for Tre that are defensible because he was trying to make the team better.

The Mony trade was straight up indefensible and atrocious for this franchise. I haven’t lamented a flames move this much since the Phaneuf trade.
Well, even here he was trying to make the team better vis-a-vis signing Kadri. But it was a bad move because Kadri wasn't worth the salary and therefore the price paid to get cap space. Even so, if Treliving could have moved Lucic instead it would have been a much better move.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #94
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

When health permits, he's a great player.

Not flashy but no-nonsense playing style, and gets the puck on net with placement and intention. Not the desperate waffles into the goalies chest that we oft see from the current crop of Flames.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #95
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't either. But it was sure there. He was also hated for not being a speedy dangler like other centres. But the dude was what he was and did well at it until he couldn't. He may have now found a way to play around the injuries or finally have healed them. Or they may catch up again.
Yeah, I've said a few times that Johnny and Monny suffered from their skillsets not meshing with people's positional bias. A lot of fans are convinced that centers have to be playmakers and wingers have to be snipers. We had the opposite of that, which I always considered a strategic advantage (because to defend it you have to shut down the left side, leaving the middle exposed vs the usual shutdown the playmaking center in the middle - which is kinda like a 2 for 1, when you think about it)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #96
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Money looks happy too.

That alone makes you want to cheer for the guy. Sean IS the best example of a guy coming to work everyday hurt or not

He would have made a.great Captain in my mind To this day.

Nothing given always earned ....Sean #23
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #97
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
When health permits, he's a great player.

Not flashy but no-nonsense playing style, and gets the puck on net with placement and intention. Not the desperate waffles into the goalies chest that we oft see from the current crop of Flames.
Ome of his strongest abilities is to not just find the open areas, but to do it while keeping his stick on the ice and keeping his body and blade lined up perfectly for a pass.

You watch guys flying to the net and think, holy even Gretzky would have a hard time connecting with that. Watching Monahan glide into an open area is a thing of beauty. You get the feeling you could put a puck on his stick even from your own living room.

Edit: I mean, just watch that OT clip above. Brodie streaking in, stick blade 2 feet off the ice and focused on getting behind the two defenders while quickly running out of real estate. He had to slam on the brakes in front of Price and twist his body to face Gaudreau (stick STILL not on the ice). Johnny would have had to put it 3 feet in front of Brodie in order to match his speed, and it would have had to go through 4 skates and 2 sticks and then rely on Brodies hand-eye to get his stick down in time - all while allowing Price to focus solely on him since it would have been impossible for Brodie to do anything bu swipe at it with the way he was coming in... Then look at Monny. Stick down, stance wide, blade facing the goalie. Matching his speed with Johnny's, feet even with each other, so no clue for Price which way the shot is going - or even if a shot is coming, since he's also perfectly positioned to give it right back to Jonny as an option.

I've said it before, but being able to play with elite players is a very underated skill. There's an alarming amount of elite players who don't know how to play with other eilte players. It's what makes guys like Conroy so good. Jokinen on his own was a #1C, but couldn't figure out how to click with Iggy. Conroy on his own was a #3C, but with Iggy and he was an 80p Selke candidate.

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-03-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #98
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I miss Monahan. If the game ever went to OT or a shootout, when healthy, you just knew he was going to be the reason the Flames won. Clutch.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #99
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus should be trading for him. And Montreal should sell before his shooting percentage regresses or he gets hurt again.

Doesn't mean he isn't a superb 2nd line center worth 60 points. Just don't think Montreal needs him right now.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM   #100
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Health is always an issue for him but if he was on our team and healthy he would be our best offensive centerman on the team.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote