Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #81
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
2 Reasons:

1. You have to lock into a 3 year contract and after the first year your rates are jacked up.

2. Since your TV is through the internet it can cause a serious drain on your bandwidth when watching HD channels (slows down your internet)

Its a much better deal to call shaw and tell them what telus is offering, guaranteed they match it.

Its not a much better deal if you like the service telus is giving you. PVR anywhere is a huge sell for me. My wife will be thrilled she can watch anything from pvr on any tv in the house. Will also make my home theater set up alot easier for her to use as well as there won't be a need for complicated switches anymore. Sure I can get 1 free pvr rental from shaw if I call retentions but by switching to telus I sell my one pvr with shaw and recieve a free pvr rental for 3 years and xbox that is also an hd reciever and can hook up my current x box as another. Now I have HD in the 3 areas I need it in my house instead of just 1 with shaw. While saving alot of money each month.

55 a month for all 3 services and 2 xbox's is 660 for the first year
If I cancel after that it would be 360 penelty. And get to keep an xbox
(10 dollars a month for each remaing month left. 24 for TV 12 for internet)
Totaling $1020

Shaw gives me a retention plan for $85 a month x 12 =1020 no free xbox.

It makes mathamatical sence to at least try telus for a year regardless. I won't be losing out on anything and I get a free xbox for my troubles
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #82
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I think I am cloise to $150 with shaw for phone, internet and HD TV, no movies. I better call too.
My dad was paying $180/month, called shaw for him yesterday and he is now paying $100 for the same stuff + free HDPVR rental, and unlimited Can/US LD for a year.

Definitely do it, and I didn't even threaten to cancel, just said Telus called, offered me this, haven't canceled but want to see what Shaw can do.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #83
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
My dad was paying $180/month, called shaw for him yesterday and he is now paying $100 for the same stuff + free HDPVR rental, and unlimited Can/US LD for a year.

Definitely do it, and I didn't even threaten to cancel, just said Telus called, offered me this, haven't canceled but want to see what Shaw can do.
That's exactly what I said to them. I didn't threaten to cancel, I just mentioned Telus' offer and asked what they can do for me, and booyah, I'm saving 55/month.

And I got the upgrade to Extreme internet...

Last edited by Scoopdogg; 09-21-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #84
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

About to call Telus. I hate Telus, not looking forward to this. I probably won't be able to swing the same kind of crazy deals here as I currently have no cable to walk away from, but I do have phone and internet through them, so perhaps I can work something from that angle.

edit: my god ... 2 minutes on the phone and I want to destroy this company.

edit 2: lol on the other hand that deal is pretty bloody incredible. That 15-15-15 deal is crazy and it destroys what Shaw can offer.

Last edited by Russic; 09-21-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #85
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Same silly phone problems I had? New customer but can;t figure out why you aren't in the system.
Yep that was exactly it. I really like how the automated voice even says "hmmm" like it's trying to figure something out. Then I mentioned to the Telus guy how when trying to see if Optik is available for your house their site kept saying "are you sure you don't mean?" for my address over and over again. He laughed and said "Ya, it does that".

*slow clap*
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #86
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I did end up calling Shaw and got what I want for $95/month, including an upgrade to Extreme internet and a phone (which I don't really care about, but the deal is better with it). Woo hoo!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #87
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got off the phone with Shaw.

Got a free PVR for 1 year
HBO and Movie Channel
HD Plus (Sports package)
Unlimited US/Canada long distance phone
High speed Extreme internet

$103.95

If you don't get HBO and movie chanel it's $84.95 (Almost half what I was paying before!!!!!)

Holy freaking awesome!! Thanks everyone for the heads up!!
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #88
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Wooooowww. This is a great thread! Just got off the phone with Shaw as well. I got 12 months of phone, internet, TV and an HDPVR for $70/month. I'm nearly paying that just for my phone and internet as it stands. That's insanity.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #89
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lowered my bill from $190 to $112. Free HD PVR for 1 year and Showcase/HBO. Just what I needed during my wifes Mat leave. Thanks
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #90
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lowered my bill from $127 to $88.90. I had cancelled my home phone, but with this new deal, got it added back on with unlimited long distance and call display. Amazing. That added on and still lowered my bill by $38 a month for a year. Sweet.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #91
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, that's where you went wrong.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #92
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Keep in mind that with the 15/15/15 deal, you do get the phone and internet for $15, while the TV they are talking about for $15 is their basic package ("The Essentials"). According to the CSR I was talking to, it is basically a $40 discount on all three services.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #93
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Keep in mind that with the 15/15/15 deal, you do get the phone and internet for $15, while the TV they are talking about for $15 is their basic package ("The Essentials"). According to the CSR I was talking to, it is basically a $40 discount on all three services.
This is correct. You just add in the extra cost of the extra package to the $15.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #94
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
2 Reasons:

1. You have to lock into a 3 year contract and after the first year your rates are jacked up.

2. Since your TV is through the internet it can cause a serious drain on your bandwidth when watching HD channels (slows down your internet)

Its a much better deal to call shaw and tell them what telus is offering, guaranteed they match it.
Thanks.

My reading of the deal is there is no locked in contract for the $15/month price. The 3 year contract is if you want a free HD PVR rental.

Which raises questions about equipment. I have an Xbox 360, so reading this page it looks like I can use it as an HD receiver. However, it won't be able to record anything on to my Xbox. Does anyone know if that is correct? I can call Telus, just would trust what someone here said first.

Also, I believe the Optik High Speed is 15 mbps, and watching an HD feed uses 3 mbps. So assuming your peak you can actually pull 12 mbps, a 9 mbps connection isn't bad. Plus, I live alone, so I likely won't be downloading and watching TV at the same time.

I'll definitely call Shaw and see what they can do, but this deal from Telus is about 1/3 what I'd be paying Shaw for about the same service.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #95
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Thanks.

My reading of the deal is there is no locked in contract for the $15/month price. The 3 year contract is if you want a free HD PVR rental.

Which raises questions about equipment. I have an Xbox 360, so reading this page it looks like I can use it as an HD receiver. However, it won't be able to record anything on to my Xbox. Does anyone know if that is correct? I can call Telus, just would trust what someone here said first.

Also, I believe the Optik High Speed is 15 mbps, and watching an HD feed uses 3 mbps. So assuming your peak you can actually pull 12 mbps, a 9 mbps connection isn't bad. Plus, I live alone, so I likely won't be downloading and watching TV at the same time.

I'll definitely call Shaw and see what they can do, but this deal from Telus is about 1/3 what I'd be paying Shaw for about the same service.
The xbox needs to be connected by ethernet (not wireless) to the PVR on your network. You don't record to the xbox. However, it does need to be the xbox 360 with the 250gb drive. It won't work on the arcade version. All recordings go to the PVR. Your xbox accesses the recordings off the PVR and streams them over the network.

teamchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #96
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I called to get everything set up and got my new number and all that everything is good. 30 mins later Telus calls back says they don't have enough ports for my area to set it up. What kind of company sends out flyers and promotions and calls every 2 days to get you to take their service when you can't even get their service
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #97
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So I called to get everything set up and got my new number and all that everything is good. 30 mins later Telus calls back says they don't have enough ports for my area to set it up. What kind of company sends out flyers and promotions and calls every 2 days to get you to take their service when you can't even get their service
I got the same thing. They said they had to wait till the end of the month to see if any free up.
Khel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm moving into a new place next month and have to set up Shaw, but I have to set everything up from scratch, so I cant call the cancellations department.

Any advice?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #99
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm moving into a new place next month and have to set up Shaw, but I have to set everything up from scratch, so I cant call the cancellations department.

Any advice?
Is it a new home? they usually have something call the welcome home package...My parents are moving into a cardel condo, and they are offered 30 bucks a month for 12 months.. on all 3 services.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
Is it a new home? they usually have something call the welcome home package...My parents are moving into a cardel condo, and they are offered 30 bucks a month for 12 months.. on all 3 services.
I'm moving into an apartment, so its likely all wired up, but I dont want a phone and I'll need all the internet stuff as well as the cable box.

It sucks, I'm basically going in with nothing because none of the old stuff belonged to me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote