Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #9941
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Do you agree with the points made by the trucker convoy?
From what I recall they attempted to make multiple points and I didn’t agree with all of them, what I did agree with was them voicing disagreement and making a movement of it, execution excluded.

Tbh I was actually pretty annoyed by the demonstrations they had here in YYC mostly because of unexpected traffic but it is what it is.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #9942
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 'freedom' convoy deserved every bit of reputation they extracted from the majority of the rest of Canada.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #9943
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
Loool man.. I'm honestly not trying to change your politics, or prove you wrong.

The liberals didn't say mean things about the trucker convoy, they labelled an entire chunk of the population as 'unacceptable' and questioned openly if they should be tolerated. There's a very big difference and it's not progressive at all.

I'm not squeezing anything in, I'm saying this current breed of conservatives is not like our dads conservatives. Times have changed and they're now more attractive to the middle.

Anyone who thinks the truckers are ***holes, that's fine. But they're also voters and they're Canadians like us. You can't censor or remove a group cuz you don't like or agree with them.
Perhaps you would be more accepting of what Trudeau said if you read again what he said, now that tension are low.

Quote:
“The small fringe minority of people who are on their way to Ottawa, who are holding unacceptable views that they are expressing, do not represent the views of Canadians,” Trudeau said.

“(Canadians) who have been there for each other, who know that following the science and stepping up to protect each other is the best way to continue to ensure our freedoms, our rights, our values as a country.”
Now, consider again that what some of these folks were saying would be thought insane by the Flat Earth Society, you might recognize this is who Trudeau took issue with, and that their selfishness was at odds with Canadian Society, where we tend to think of us as kind, and who look out for those less fortunate or vulnerable. These people, who spread lies and misinformation in an attempt to fool less educated into buying into their nonsense while dragging down our society and harming the vulnerable is who Trudeau took issue with. Not any Canadian that disagrees with him.

Through that lens, do you still feel the same way? Because it seems you take issue with a position he never held.

And you are correct that this version of the Conservatives is not like my dads' version. I'd consider voting for that version of the party(and hey, I have!), not the Conservative parties that have been taken over by the further right(Reform and Wildrose). That's where the traditional Conservatives made a major mistake. Thinking it was a merger and not a takeover.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #9944
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loool man.. I'm honestly not trying to change your politics, or prove you wrong.

The liberals didn't say mean things about the trucker convoy, they labelled an entire chunk of the population as 'unacceptable' and questioned openly if they should be tolerated. There's a very big difference and it's not progressive at all.
What’s your take on politicians who say rapists, murderers and pedophiles are unacceptable? Are they not progressive enough for your tastes because the aren’t tolerant enough of their views?

Your position here is completely ridiculous, I don’t recall a single elected official claiming that the occupiers(please don’t label them as truckers as it’s an insult to the overwhelming majority of truckers who didn’t agree with them)had no right to have a difference in opinion, the issue was the illegal means they used to try and force a result. Imagine if these “protestors” would have staged a siege at a live sporting event and held people in attendance hostage, the resulting actions from law enforcement would have had absolutely nothing to do with their message or goal.

Quote:
I'm not squeezing anything in, I'm saying this current breed of conservatives is not like our dads conservatives. Times have changed and they're now more attractive to the middle.

Anyone who thinks the truckers are ***holes, that's fine. But they're also voters and they're Canadians like us. You can't censor or remove a group cuz you don't like or agree with them.
No one has censored them. No matter how many times you want to try and pretend like they have been.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 11-12-2023 at 03:06 PM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 09:42 PM   #9945
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Trucker convoy supporters should not be catered to by any party.

So beyond the extreme selfish folk, who else is the Liberal party excluding? What types of people are not welcome?
We"ve been told: Anyone who does not vote for them; anyone who's vote the Liberals don't need to win enough seats to hold on to power.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:13 PM   #9946
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
We"ve been told: Anyone who does not vote for them; anyone who's vote the Liberals don't need to win enough seats to hold on to power.
Can you repeat that?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #9947
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

No one has censored them. No matter how many times you want to try and pretend like they have been.
Was freezing their bank accounts censorship?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724054814902858172
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #9948
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Was freezing their bank accounts censorship?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724054814902858172
No. If it was you would have never heard about it.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #9949
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Trucker convoy supporters should not be catered to by any party.

So beyond the extreme selfish folk, who else is the Liberal party excluding? What types of people are not welcome?
While you are so busy working about the trucker views and the fringe minority, we have people marching in the streets yelling death to Jews and carrying ISIS flags. Where you your outrage there?

But hey, muchado about nothing, amirite?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:47 AM   #9950
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ideologue coupled with digital currency
Pierre would like to talk to you about an investment opportunity.

LOL, that video is also from "Wide Awake Media". For shorthand, you could call them Woke. I'm not sure you could make up the irony up in this tweet if you tried.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-13-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #9951
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
While you are so busy working about the trucker views and the fringe minority, we have people marching in the streets yelling death to Jews and carrying ISIS flags. Where you your outrage there?

WTF are you on about? Miss your pills this morning?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:53 AM   #9952
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We’ve also got leaders of groups who are scared of dudes who wear dresses and claim they control certain provincial governments saying they’re going to destroy(interpret that how you like) Unions and other nonsense like that.

What a time to be alive.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #9953
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
WTF are you on about? Miss your pills this morning?
You keep making a big deal about the trucker convoys, the protests, etc and your concern about a political party supporting them.

But you say nothing about the protests going on in the streets of Canada now where we have ISIS flags being waved, and people chanting death to Jews.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #9954
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You keep making a big deal about the trucker convoys, the protests, etc and your concern about a political party supporting them.

But you say nothing about the protests going on in the streets of Canada now where we have ISIS flags being waved, and people chanting death to Jews.
Uhm, OK? Do you require me to pass judgment on that? It's bad. These people suck. Politicians should in no way support them, and if they do, should be called out and disciplined in any way possible. Anything else you require me to comment on?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:35 AM   #9955
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you upset that Pierre and his party haven’t gone on record to support these people for expressing their views in a “peaceful” manner? Is that what you’re getting worked up about? Odd because I’d actually give him credit for not doing so despite his clear affinity for hate groups.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #9956
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Uhm, OK? Do you require me to pass judgment on that? It's bad. These people suck. Politicians should in no way support them, and if they do, should be called out and disciplined in any way possible. Anything else you require me to comment on?
It’s just mindless whataboutism from someone who suddenly took interest in the Israeli/Palestine dispute as soon as the notion that murdering Palestinian children might be less than acceptable was introduced to the conversation. Not under Azure’s watch!

Same poster who has ignored people protesting LGBTQ groups and shooting up drag shows is now concerned that people aren’t focused on every protest. Though, same poster who put in the work casting the trucker protest in the warmest light possible while screaming “anti-fa!” during the BLM protests and excusing cops running over protestors.

So, you know, priorities. Please care about only the things Azure cares about.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:05 AM   #9957
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was hoping someone would moronically interject with something completely irrelevant to what was being discussed as though it was some sort of f-cking mic-drop 'GOTCHA!' moment, that's exactly what this thread had been lacking recently.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:07 AM   #9958
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I mean is anyone really surprised that our pathetic government does nothing about this?

Quote:
‘Far worse than you can imagine’: How Iran’s regime has ‘spread its tentacles’ in Canada

In fact, The New Reality heard from Iranian Canadians, legal experts, and security and intelligence sources who say Canada has an especially big problem with hundreds, maybe thousands, of potentially dangerous regime-connected officials here on Canadian soil.

“Islamic Republic agents are everywhere in this country. Everywhere,” Esmaeilion says.

Prominent Iranian American journalist and human rights activist Masih Alinejad tells The New Reality she was given a bone-chilling warning from the FBI: don’t travel to Canada.

“That’s heartbreaking. Canada should be safe,” Alinejad says.

“We have about 700 names right now that either have temporary residence, permanent residence or citizenship that are in Canada and that are somehow regime affiliates. We are still counting. So it’s going to be closer to 1,000,” Joubin claims.

Joubin says one of the most concerning things he sees is “impunity … to operate in Canada, engaging in financial and violent crimes.”

“They will not be prosecuted. That’s just a fact,” he adds.

Joubin claims many of the regime-connected insiders come with millions of dollars. He alleges they are often involved in financial fraud or large-scale government corruption, and settle in wealthy neighbourhoods in Canada.

B.C. resident Kamran Malekpour has done his own investigation, and his findings echo Joubin’s.

The investigative journalist told The New Reality he has confirmation of at least 300 properties across B.C.’s Lower Mainland belonging to either individuals connected to the Islamic Republic or their family members.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10076891/...hreats-canada/
Old 11-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #9959
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahahaha case in point!!! Thanks man!

The fact some of us think we’re so much more enlightened than some and therefore they should be labelled as trash or rednecks or backward and treated accordingly is not right man.

I don’t care how educated or privileged any of us are, everyone deserves their voice to be heard even if it sounds like garbage to us.
You keep skirting around this question, but which people/beliefs are being "excluded" by the left in a manner that is equal to the outright hostility many on the right hold towards LGBTQ+ people, minorities, etc.?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #9960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You keep skirting around this question, but which people/beliefs are being "excluded" by the left in a manner that is equal to the outright hostility many on the right hold towards LGBTQ+ people, minorities, etc.?

I think they answered it here:

Quote:
I refuse to think you're dumb and are just not getting me. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I wasn't being dumb, I was just seeing if they would actually say it. "Move on" is code for "it's exactly who you think it is, but I'm not going to say it say it". Unless I've got that wrong and Calgary '89 wants to correct the implied messaging. Otherwise we can only conclude they are not cool with Liberals excluding people who should be excluded. But hey, I'm sure Pierre will welcome whoever he can get, as long as it's a vote. Principles and all.