Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2023, 03:03 PM   #9941
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand that it is important to control state debt, but I can't help but think of Romania eliminating its national debt in 1989 at the cost of human rights. I know no one is suggesting that we ration food and fuel to become debt free ( as Ceausescu did). Being a debt-free state is clearly an exception, moreover, achieving it at any capacity is normally at the expense of citizens well being.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:15 PM   #9942
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Given some of the professional careers and earning potential that our current elected officials have voluntarily left to get into politics it can’t be that big of a nightmare
Here's an interesting story on Danielle Smith. Just before Covid hit I talked with her briefly at our movie theatre in High River. I asked if she would ever run for politics again and she laughed saying she didn't want to go through that nightmare again. Focus to today and I think that her ego and quest for power was more important than that nightmare she feared.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #9943
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Here's an interesting story on Danielle Smith. Just before Covid hit I talked with her briefly…
I’m can’t read any more of your post without saying how sorry I am to hear that you had to go through something like that.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #9944
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

'Conservative voters in this province are such low information voters. They literally know next to nothing about whats going on with the ucp'

Me, to myself, after being at a family function and tallking to a few of them
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #9945
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I’m can’t read any more of your post without saying how sorry I am to hear that you had to go through something like that.
I feel sorry for her husband David. I can't imagine what must going through his mind.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:48 PM   #9946
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel sorry for her husband David. I can't imagine what must going through his mind.
That's like feeling sorry for McDavid for playing for the Oilers. He signed, he knew what he was getting into.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 03:51 PM   #9947
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“She’s gonna take half of the restaurant if I try and get out of this”
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #9948
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might have been mentioned, but the firefighters asking for exactly 79 transfers from Ontario to help with fighting the wildfires, when the number of provincial wildfire fighters who were laid off two years ago, numbers 79; is hilarious.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #9949
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1654605324094148609
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #9950
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It might have been mentioned, but the firefighters asking for exactly 79 transfers from Ontario to help with fighting the wildfires, when the number of provincial wildfire fighters who were laid off two years ago, numbers 79; is hilarious.
How is that hilarious?
Old 05-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #9951
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's like feeling sorry for McDavid for playing for the Oilers. He signed, he knew what he was getting into.
I think she's changed and a much different person than she was when she was with the WRP. After the flood of 2013 she fought hard for High River residents to get the help they need. Especially when Redford did little to help us. Back then we called the DRP program "Dead Redford Promises"

Last edited by Dion; 05-05-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #9952
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think she's changed and a much different person than she was when she was with the WRP. After the flood of 2013 she fought hard for High River residents to get the help they need. Especially when Redford did little to help us. Back then we called the DRP program "Dead Redford Promises"
Not really, you can go back and read her Herald articles from the 2000's, her ideas were just as nutty then. She has no common sense filter. She spins with the wind.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #9953
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Not really, you can go back and read her Herald articles from the 2000's, her ideas were just as nutty then. She has no common sense filter. She spins with the wind.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. She's different because back in 2013 she cared about people and now it's all about power and she will do whatever it takes to remain Premier.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #9954
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is that hilarious?
Making it pretty clear that if their funding wasn't cut, and the manpower decimated, they would have had the resources to fight these fires from day one. They didn't ask for 80 firefighters from Ontario, they asked for the exact number let go.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #9955
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree with what you are saying. She's different because back in 2013 she cared about people and now it's all about power and she will do whatever it takes to remain Premier.
Or she was the exact same, but Highwood was her riding in 2013, and there was an election coming up, so she had to seem like she was human. As they say, leopards can't change their spots.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #9956
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Or she was the exact same, but Highwood was her riding in 2013, and there was an election coming up, so she had to seem like she was human. As they say, leopards can't change their spots.
Or, in the words of the incredible Jim Lahey...

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #9957
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Yes it was her/my riding and no there wasn't an election coming up. She showed genuine concern by holding a number of local town halls to get help and answers from frustrated residents who weren't getting any help from Redford and the PC's. There was also the RCMP breaking down people doors fiasco she helped with.

Smith is back in politics for a totally different reason. It's not about the people of Alberta and their concerns, as she doesn't seem to care. She came back because she said she wanted to be the savior that would fix the corruption in the UCP party. She also has a personal agenda she wants to force on Albertans. That's not the Smith I knew back in 2013.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:09 PM   #9958
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or, in the words of the incredible Jim Lahey...

What a weird time we live in where we’d be better of with Jim Lahey as the leader of this trailer park than who we have.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #9959
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1654584537891082240

The future of medical care in Alberta, folks. If you take your chemo with a homeopathic dilution(it's water), you can take less chemo. ####ing science! How does it work? Not like this. This is a key example of the type of thing she wants our health spending accounts to fund. And if taxes aren't going up, that can ONLY mean less money for real medicine.

Sorry Smith supporters, but this #### is indefensible, and I hope you feel bad for even considering supporting this loony toon fool. Seriously, give your head a ####ing shake already, I don't care how many hundreds of tax dollars she is going to save you(spoiler, she won't do that, either), this is going to be a monumental disaster of epic proportions.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:30 PM   #9960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it was her/my riding and no there wasn't an election coming up. She showed genuine concern by holding a number of local town halls to get help and answers from frustrated residents who weren't getting any help from Redford and the PC's. There was also the RCMP breaking down people doors fiasco she helped with.

Smith is back in politics for a totally different reason. It's not about the people of Alberta and their concerns, as she doesn't seem to care. She came back because she said she wanted to be the savior that would fix the corruption in the UCP party. She also has a personal agenda she wants to force on Albertans. That's not the Smith I knew back in 2013.
I don't want to have to be too blunt here Dion, but the only thing that has changed is you have recognized her for what she has always been. That wasn't genuine concern, it was an angle to get support to get in power. that's it. You think she genuinely cares about anyone who doesn't share her views? You said it right there, "frustrated residents who weren't getting any help from Redford and the PC's." She's an opportunist, and saw an opening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: