Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 04:06 PM   #9901
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
This reminds me of the Pierre Trudeau Foundation scandal, and the WE charity scandal and the SNC Lavalin scandal, etc.

I’m not one to think liberals are the most corrupt cuz all politicians lean that way, but these guys are just so bold and nonchalant about it. Like it’s their right to behave that way and we should just accept it and be thankful they’re in charge.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary '89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #9902
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
She comes across as incredibly entitled and out of touch.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:44 AM   #9903
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sometimes I wonder if some other country launched a missile strike that took out every Canadian MP and Senator, how mad would I be? I think it comes down to the country.

If it was some rogue Canadian faction, I would hate it. Becusse it would probably be Quebec saying it is protecting the French language somehow.

U.S.? China? Tacky. Punching way down.

Russia? Too evil.

Australia? Too confusing.

But an underdog nation like Cuba or somewhere really random like The Gambia, good for them!

Anywho, here's the reason for the Outrage. Looks like political interference to halt third reading in the Senate..Bill would have given farmers relief for winter heating costs needes for livestock.

https://nationalpost.com/news/senate...m-heating-bill
Old 11-10-2023, 11:14 AM   #9904
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Conservatives will watch this video and use it as a reason to defund the CBC.

ETA: if the above video is too left wing for you... How about musings from a former conservative MP turned financial advisor?

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2023/11/1...enge/#comments

Last edited by Izzle; 11-10-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 02:02 PM   #9905
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Conservatives will watch this video and use it as a reason to defund the CBC.

ETA: if the above video is too left wing for you... How about musings from a former conservative MP turned financial advisor?

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2023/11/1...enge/#comments
Dude, the majority of Albertans don't want the APP. This current UCP leadership is clearly ideological and it's clear they're not presenting the whole story here. This to me is a naked FU to Ottawa, trying to mimic Quebec. Hardly the right video to prove the CBC is biased.

Besides, the conservatives you say think the video is left wing exist but they're also very likely a minority. Why focus on that?

Question for you, do you think the CBC is fine as is or do you think it could/should be reformed?
Old 11-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #9906
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
This reminds me of the Pierre Trudeau Foundation scandal, and the WE charity scandal and the SNC Lavalin scandal, etc.

I’m not one to think liberals are the most corrupt cuz all politicians lean that way, but these guys are just so bold and nonchalant about it. Like it’s their right to behave that way and we should just accept it and be thankful they’re in charge.
we need much more teeth for corruption. That is clear.

A part of me wishes an MP/MLA resignation did not result in a byelection; but a party appointment. I wonder if we would see more "resignations" if the party in power would know the person would be replaced by another party supporter.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #9907
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Minh Doan Canada's CTO is being called back to the committee investigating ArriveCan due to him lying in front of the committee and being caught.

This came from a conversation between Colin MacDonald who was the director General of the Canadian Border Services and Doan who was a VP for Canada Border Services at the time over selecting GCStrategies.

Basically McDonald recommended using Deloitte for the Arrivecan development. Doan refused claiming a bad experience.

When testifying in front of the committee Doan stated that he had nothing to do with the decision to use GCStrategies.

MacDonald also testified that he felt threatened by Doan during a phonecall when Doan told him that he would lay all of the blame on Macdonald for the decision when he reported to the government.

This arrivecan is insane.

Also the investigation into Medicago contract is gathering steam.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps...cago-1.7022894

Quote:
MPs on the House of Commons health committee voted Wednesday to launch a study into the more than $300 million the Liberal government paid to a now-shuttered Quebec-based pharmaceutical company whose COVID-19 vaccine never made it to market.
Conservative MP Stephen Ellis brought forward the motion calling for the study after reporting by the National Post revealed last week that the government paid $150 million to Medicago in the form of a "non-refundable" advanced purchase agreement.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #9908
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
we need much more teeth for corruption. That is clear.

A part of me wishes an MP/MLA resignation did not result in a byelection; but a party appointment. I wonder if we would see more "resignations" if the party in power would know the person would be replaced by another party supporter.

That would be undemocratic.

I think on the corruption front, it needs to be major fines, like 6 figures minimum to the MP's and including the party or government that can't be expenses to the tax payers.

Also any corruption or ethics committee investigation should also automatically trigger a investigation by the RCMP that includes the seizing of records and computers.

In fact, I think that a automatic RCMP investigation should happen before a committee investigation.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #9909
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dude, the majority of Albertans don't want the APP. This current UCP leadership is clearly ideological and it's clear they're not presenting the whole story here. This to me is a naked FU to Ottawa, trying to mimic Quebec. Hardly the right video to prove the CBC is biased.

Besides, the conservatives you say think the video is left wing exist but they're also very likely a minority. Why focus on that?

Because these conservative voices are they loudest despite them not being a majority.
- Brexit... The likes of Nigel Farage lied and said that more of the NHS money will stay in Britain. The brexiteers will have more say in the way they govern. Experts chimed in and said that Brexit will be a massive mistake. The general public only paid attention to the lies told by the vocal minority. So Brexit passed. The British economy suffered massively. Callers call into radio shows saying "this isn't what I was promised. This isn't what I voted for." Well it's a little too late for them now.

Those same elements are behind the APP. There UCP is saturating the airwaves that this will be better for Albertans and it's a lie.

- Conservatives also say that the moderate faction will keep the far right in check. Haha, no. Take Alberta... "UCP campaigned on the right but will moderate to the centre". Nope, didn't happen. Take the US, moderate Republicans are now retiring because they are up against MAGA and Qanon types. The minority was the loudest and now the House has a pretty far right Speaker. Conservatives in Canada look to the USA for the right wing blue print. I don't doubt for a second that Pollievre will push further to the right if he becomes the PM.

So you have to focus on the right wing minority because the moderate right wing are scared to actually moderate the far right.

Still the question remains... Liberals are corrupt, the CPC push into the far right loonies. Is the federal NDP that unpalatable? Seems like the provincial NDPs are doing decent governance.

Quote:

Question for you, do you think the CBC is fine as is or do you think it could/should be reformed?
I think the CBC is fine. I enjoy their news and programs. I find that in the current media landscape, there has to be a source that's not beholden to private interests like Postmedia and such.

Last edited by Izzle; 11-10-2023 at 03:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #9910
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

CEO of the STGC resigns after being caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

She should have been fired.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #9911
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1723479624175280490
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:07 PM   #9912
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Because these conservative voices are they loudest despite them not being a majority.
- Brexit... The likes of Nigel Farage lied and said that more of the NHS money will stay in Britain. The brexiteers will have more say in the way they govern. Experts chimed in and said that Brexit will be a massive mistake. The general public only paid attention to the lies told by the vocal minority. So Brexit passed. The British economy suffered massively. Callers call into radio shows saying "this isn't what I was promised. This isn't what I voted for." Well it's a little too late for them now.

Those same elements are behind the APP. There UCP is saturating the airwaves that this will be better for Albertans and it's a lie.

- Conservatives also say that the moderate faction will keep the far right in check. Haha, no. Take Alberta... "UCP campaigned on the right but will moderate to the centre". Nope, didn't happen. Take the US, moderate Republicans are now retiring because they are up against MAGA and Qanon types. The minority was the loudest and now the House has a pretty far right Speaker. Conservatives in Canada look to the USA for the right wing blue print. I don't doubt for a second that Pollievre will push further to the right if he becomes the PM.

So you have to focus on the right wing minority because the moderate right wing are scared to actually moderate the far right.

Still the question remains... Liberals are corrupt, the CPC push into the far right loonies. Is the federal NDP that unpalatable? Seems like the provincial NDPs are doing decent governance.

I think the CBC is fine. I enjoy their news and programs. I find that in the current media landscape, there has to be a source that's not beholden to private interests like Postmedia and such.

I appreciate the response, man.

You’re right that people were fleeced on BREXIT, same as people were fleeced with Trump 2016. On both fronts the left saw the problem and focused on highlighting it again and again. Meanwhile the right found a pocket of disaffected/ignored voters who they gave a voice to, in the US case Hillary Clinton went as far as labelling them a ‘basket of deplorables’ and handed Trump the Midwest on a platter.

Conservative extremes are far less tolerated so any conservative politician will always say the middle will keep the extremes in check, which also means they recognize the problem and manage it. Sometimes well and sometimes not so well.
Liberals on the other hand aren’t allowed to call out their extreme faction because it is loud and very illiberal, zero room for debate or for nuance so instead some politicians like our current PM embrace it in a semi-populist approach and look down at those who don’t agree. Trudeaus French interview regarding the truckers said it all.

Regarding Poilievre, I 100% agree he’ll push to the right of this current government but I also think Carney as PM would push right. Trudeau liberals have embraced identity politics to the point that it’s hard to find a sensible candidate with a mind of their own in the cabinet. The only one who comes to mind is Dominic Leblanc and he doesn’t seem to crave the leadership.

Overall, I’d say if the left wants to regain credibility in the future the focus should be less on minority groups, of any kind, less of that group think which is characteristic of identity politics and become a big tent party again which accepts more than just the people who see the world their way.

On the CBC, you’re right that they serve as a counter to the Postmedia/private interest types. The major problem, to me, is that they’re publicly funded so it should be very very difficult to see which team they cheer for. It isn’t though.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:13 PM   #9913
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Overall, I’d say if the left wants to regain credibility in the future the focus should be less on minority groups, of any kind, less of that group think which is characteristic of identity politics and become a big tent party again which accepts more than just the people who see the world their way
….
I don’t understand this. Big tent for who?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #9914
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
ceo of the stgc resigns after being caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

She should have been fired charged
fyp
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:16 PM   #9915
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

But you have to understand, the liberal government is saving the planet. You know, when it gets them votes. When is doesn’t get them votes, you just flip flop. Simple fix.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:23 PM   #9916
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I don’t understand this. Big tent for who?
Big tent as a political term. As in being a party who accepts all different kinds of people.

The current liberals all bang the inclusivity drum a lot but they’re an exclusive group where lots of people aren’t welcome.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:38 PM   #9917
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Big tent as a political term. As in being a party who accepts all different kinds of people.

The current liberals all bang the inclusivity drum a lot but they’re an exclusive group where lots of people aren’t welcome.
You could say that about the right too. They're less accepting of LGBTQ people, no?
Old 11-11-2023, 11:45 PM   #9918
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You could say that about the right too. They're less accepting of LGBTQ people, no?
Historically yes, but times are changing and the right now has gay MPs waving the conservative flag and no, they’re not insane as some people will say. Not that you did. The conservative leader is also pro-choice, something by that wouldn’t happen before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary '89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 07:44 AM   #9919
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Historically yes, but times are changing and the right now has gay MPs waving the conservative flag and no, they’re not insane as some people will say. Not that you did. The conservative leader is also pro-choice, something by that wouldn’t happen before.
lol, wut? I think this is wishful thinking because you look at some of the actions taken by conservatives in this country and you can’t possibly push that as inclusive. Of course, this is at the provincial level because the federal CPC doesn’t have power, but these actual policies are not inclusive.

Look at Saskatchewan making it so that parents have to approve a name or pronouns for their children (same thing has been put forward in Alberta). If you have no exposure to this, it seems like “what’s the big deal?” I’m sure. Unfortunately though, it’s a huge deal. I know kids in this exact position where they want to go by a different name or pronouns and the parents simply will not accept it. It impacts everything those kids want to do, and it’s literally their identity. And why…because dad doesn’t want to tell his buddies that his son is now his daughter? What do they think happens when those kids are 18 and can not only do these things, but have years of resentment pent up? It’s a bad situation. And explain to me how this is inclusive?

And then you have the CPC MPs who just a couple years ago voted against outlawing therapy to convert LGBTQ people. It’s absolutely not inclusive.

I get that things are changing, and these are the people who are dragged kicking and screaming the entire way. I do hope that eventually they’re basically forced into doing the right thing, but I don’t consider that inclusive.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 07:55 AM   #9920
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Can you explain this in a way that an actual thing is being discussed and not just random words? Honestly, I have zero idea what you mean. And I am curious.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote