Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #961
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah but that's bordering on hand-to-hand combat. I have one of those extendible batons that peace officers or whatever have at the ready, but I figured with pepper spray I wouldn't have to get quite so close. Plus I think I'd feel too bad about hitting an animal full on with a bat. I'd much rather douse it in pepper spray and let it run back to its owner to deal with.
How's the legality on those batons work? To my understanding, it's legal to GET one, but not legal to carry or use it...so it's pretty much illegal.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #962
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Believe me you aren't the only one who thinks this is a gigantic troll job. The hysterics and totally over the top hyperbole from Sliver could be costrued as comedy by anyone who happened to read this thread. If he is trolling than awesome.

If not, does anyone really want to be Sliver's neighbor? Ready to bust out the bear spray (???) on potentially rabid dogs? I mean it sounds like a joke, but if serious that makes him a public hazard. If three kids are walking the dog and he gets a bit wild, Sliver comes busting in with his bear spray and accidentally (or not) sprays one of the kids in his eyes....yeah your irrational fear of dogs may now land you in the slam. If he was an American it'd be a gun and I cannot imagine that ending well at all. No doubt Sliver has a Mike Vick jersey lying around somewhere.
The trolling accusations annoy me. To lay that to rest, I'll invite MrMastodonFarm to my house to see my neighbour, if he's so inclined. The dogs are there more often than not, and even if they are locked in the house they still lunge at the windows and bark so loud you can hear then outside and in my house, too. If they're outside, which is often, I have no doubt it will validate everything I've ever said. If he doesn't want to come down that's obviously okay as it would be a lot of effort to settle an Internet disagreement, but don't say I'm not unwilling to prove I'm not trolling.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #963
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The trolling accusations annoy me. To lay that to rest, I'll invite MrMastodonFarm to my house to see my neighbour, if he's so inclined. The dogs are there more often than not, and even if they are locked in the house they still lunge at the windows and bark so loud you can hear then outside and in my house, too. If they're outside, which is often, I have no doubt it will validate everything I've ever said. If he doesn't want to come down that's obviously okay as it would be a lot of effort to settle an Internet disagreement, but don't say I'm not unwilling to prove I'm not trolling.
Why do they annoy you? Virtually everyone who visits this thread agrees your takes and actions towards dogs are so over the top its hard to believe they could be real. But if you really are the insanely paranoid about dogs, I suggest seeking some help. Dogs aren't going anywhere no matter how badly you'd like them to disappear. I hate little kids but you aren't hearing me advocate some of the stupidity you are. I choose to do what most normal people do when something bothers them: Ignore it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #964
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Why do they annoy you? Virtually everyone who visits this thread agrees your takes and actions towards dogs are so over the top its hard to believe they could be real. But if you really are the insanely paranoid about dogs, I suggest seeking some help. Dogs aren't going anywhere no matter how badly you'd like them to disappear. I hate little kids but you aren't hearing me advocate some of the stupidity you are. I choose to do what most normal people do when something bothers them: Ignore it.
Um that's the entire point. I can't ignore it. I can't ignore a dog that decides to attack me or my family. I can't ignore a bad dog owner like firefly who thinks his dog's curiosity is an acceptable reason to let the dog snarf all over strangers. I can't ignore constant barking from multiple dogs in houses around me. I can't ignore the pungent smell of dog crap and piss from my neighbours who don't clean the dog mess from their yard.

Dogs invade every sense (aside from taste, I guess) of the people around them. Ignoring them isn't an available option, unfortunately.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #965
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Sliver is getting a very bad rap here. He lives beside 4 rottweilers and the owners have demonstrated a lack of control. Anyone that would not be aware of the potential negative ramifications of that situation is simply not being realistic.

Is dog spray or a baton the best preparation? Maybe, or maybe not, but taking steps to be prepared for what could quite conceivably be a fatal situation should not hold someone up for derision.

I have owned a rotti and I think I could handle one in an attack. Maybe. Two? Almost certainly not. Four? Whoever they attack is dead.

I am a dog owner but I also think Sliver is right. It is the dog owner's responsibility to keep the dog away from people until the people demonstrate they want to interact with the dog. It doesn't matter how cute you think your dog is. Others may disagree and you have to respect that. Sliver's posts have made me realize that, even though I have the cutest dog ever!

I think Sliver's posts, when read in a crazy guy voice, could come across as over the top if that is what the reader wants to hear. However, I think he has made his point clearly and has remained calm in the face of the internet bullying he has received. I would definately have retreated but he has remained steadfast and I have to give props to him for that. The Pile-On Sliver has bothered me for a while.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #966
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sliver's disdain for dogs is one of the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecies. When you always think dogs are evil and going to do the worst things, strangely it always seems to happen. Didn't he one mention he enjoys provoking and antagonizing dogs, or at least that he's done it?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #967
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Um that's the entire point. I can't ignore it. I can't ignore a dog that decides to attack me or my family. I can't ignore a bad dog owner like firefly who thinks his dog's curiosity is an acceptable reason to let the dog snarf all over strangers. I can't ignore constant barking from multiple dogs in houses around me. I can't ignore the pungent smell of dog crap and piss from my neighbours who don't clean the dog mess from their yard.

Dogs invade every sense (aside from taste, I guess) of the people around them. Ignoring them isn't an available option, unfortunately.
While I agree with you about Firefly . . . . a "curious" dog is just an excuse to let your dog rudely approach people you don't know . . . . . . you are also over-the-top on the other stuff.

The only hope you have is the extermination of roughly 90 million dogs in Canada/USA.

Since that isn't going to happen you'll need to either 1) become a family of hermits in the mountains or 2) make an accommodation with the dogs.

First step . . . . . come out to my place next Spring and help me pick up the 300 or so piles of accumulated winter dog poop that are emerging from the snow courtesy of two Golden Retrievers.

Cowperson
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #968
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
While I agree with you about Firefly . . . . a "curious" dog is just an excuse to let your dog rudely approach people you don't know . . . . . . you are also over-the-top on the other stuff.

The only hope you have is the extermination of roughly 90 million dogs in Canada/USA.

Since that isn't going to happen you'll need to either 1) become a family of hermits in the mountains or 2) make an accommodation with the dogs.

First step . . . . . come out to my place next Spring and help me pick up the 300 or so piles of accumulated winter dog poop that are emerging from the snow courtesy of two Golden Retrievers.

Cowperson
Well if I am over the top, so are Calgary's bylaws then because dogs are not permitted to bark at any time of the day, ever. Dog crap also has to be picked up from your yard as neighbour's shouldn't smell it and if they do the dog owner is in violation of the bylaws. If dog owners followed the laws and bylaws I wouldn't have any issues.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #969
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
the trolling accusations annoy me. to lay that to rest, i'll invite mrmastodonfarm to my house to see my neighbour, if he's so inclined. The dogs are there more often than not, and even if they are locked in the house they still lunge at the windows and bark so loud you can hear then outside and in my house, too. If they're outside, which is often, i have no doubt it will validate everything i've ever said. If he doesn't want to come down that's obviously okay as it would be a lot of effort to settle an internet disagreement, but don't say i'm not unwilling to prove i'm not trolling.
lol
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #970
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I think Sliver's posts, when read in a crazy guy voice, could come across as over the top if that is what the reader wants to hear. However, I think he has made his point clearly and has remained calm in the face of the internet bullying he has received. I would definately have retreated but he has remained steadfast and I have to give props to him for that. The Pile-On Sliver has bothered me for a while.
Maybe the "mega thread" should be closed up. We know he doesn't like dogs and it's usually him bumping it.

Sliver invites the criticism, imo.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #971
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Maybe the "mega thread" should be closed up. We know he doesn't like dogs and it's usually him bumping it.

Sliver invites the criticism, imo.
Not even close to true. Others have bumped it following attacks more often than me recently, including the latest bump.

You really want the clutter of a new thread for every attack? That doesn't seem like a clean, clear and organized way to discuss this issue imo.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #972
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But there never is a discussion on this issue. A story gets posted, some of us make mocking posts in anticipation of Sliver's arrival, Sliver arrives and stays true to form, we all laugh. Wash, rinse, repeat. Its a cycle of redundancy, and I'd be cool with closing it. If you wanna post a new thread for every dog attack, it will just further your reputation around here. Nothing meaninful ever comes from these because the hyperbole is too over the top to ever have a discussion, and many of us wonder about the legitimacy of this thread. The post where you talk about the bear spray really makes one wonder.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #973
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
lol
Haha yeah super funny I've offered a concrete and reasonable way to prove I'm not trolling by inviting my harshest critic to my house to see for himself and report back to a bunch of strangers whether or not I'm telling the truth. What a troll!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #974
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yeah super funny I've offered a concrete and reasonable way to prove I'm not trolling by inviting my harshest critic to my house to see for himself and report back to a bunch of strangers whether or not I'm telling the truth. What a troll!
I never accused you of trolling man. I just think you're funny.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #975
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never accused you of trolling man. I just think you're funny.
I have. And he is.

Its all about the body of work man, its all about the body of work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #976
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly Silver,

You suffer from a serious issue, no one can force you to like dogs, but your fear and hate of dogs is not healthy for you or your kids.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #977
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus dude, It's not the dogs beside you, I get that that, and think most people probably do. I have 2 very annoying mastiff right beside me that bark at the 3 kind of annoying german shepherds beside them. One of the shepherds goes nuts when anyone goes by their yard. I hate that and can understand how that would be intimidating. It's all the other over the top crap you spew.

Last edited by Zevo; 07-19-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #978
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sliver's disdain for dogs is one of the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecies. When you always think dogs are evil and going to do the worst things, strangely it always seems to happen. Didn't he one mention he enjoys provoking and antagonizing dogs, or at least that he's done it?
Yup. In the "things you do to be an a-hole thread", which he started. Real role model for his kids there.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #979
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh so dog bites aren't a problem?
Every dog bite is a problem, but here I'll post this again so you don't ignore it for the 17th time:

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

And I'll even do the math for you so you can't ignore that.

If we look at that graph and look at the year 2012 and look at dog bites, it looks like about 200-250 reported bites last year. Now we'll look at the overall population and it looks like about 1,150,000.

So your chances of being bitten in Calgary is about .02%.

Your chances of having any sort of incident of dog aggression at all is about .05%.

Hell even if we assume just as many dog incidents go unreported that's still only .1%.

So yes Sliver, every dog bite is a problem, every irresponsible owner and untrained dog is a problem... but it's not the issue you make it out to be.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #980
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You really want the clutter of a new thread for every attack? That doesn't seem like a clean, clear and organized way to discuss this issue imo.
Nope. This thread can be closed and there's no need for you to start umpteen other ones when there's a dog attack of any sort. We see it on the news, or read it in the online news and know what you think, what you will always think, and can probably type up verbatim on your behalf - and we know what we think and/or know to be true. So no need for new ones and this thread Sharknado'd a long time ago.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking