Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2024, 12:02 PM   #961
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He still probably has a better chance with LA. San Jose and Anaheim are in the toilet. Calgary is retooling. Vancouver will be up and down along with Edmonton. Seattle isn't really a threat. LA isn't a huge threat either, but they have made the playoffs more than New Jersey.

It's likely that no one wants to play with PLD. Not sure what LA was thinking, but that will go down as one of the worst trades ever.
They would have lost the trade if it was for Vilardi straight up. Then throw in the other two players and cap it all off with a max term Dubois extension. Total disaster.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 12:12 PM   #962
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Just because I would love for the flames to be aggressive at the draft this year… who says no in these trade proposals:

TRADE #1:

To Ottawa:
Andersson
Coleman (40% retained)
Vancouver’s 2024 first round pick (29th overall)
Calgary’s 2025 second round pick

To Calgary:
Ottawa’s 2024 first round pick (5th overall)
Pinto or Norris

TRADE #2:

To New Jersey:
Markstrom (50% retained)
Calgary’s 2024 2nd round pick

To Calgary:
New Jersey’s 2024 1st round pick (10th overall)

RESULT:

Calgary gets to pick 3 times in the top 12 and potentially comes away with a center (Catton or Lindstrom), a defenceman (Yakemchuk) and an Iginla (Tij). Calgary also likely puts the nail in the coffin of their defence for next year by trading Andersson so they likely end up picking in the top five for the 2025 draft when combining that with trading Markstrom. This sweetens the deal a little for Ottawa because that 2025 second round pick from Calgary could be a good one.

I’m sure the obvious answer I’ll get to “who says no” is… Murray because of all the salary retention I’m putting in. But I think it would take a lot to get either of these trades done especially since Fitz will likely think he’s solved his goaltending problem with Allen now and it’s almost unheard of for a team to trade a top five pick even if Ottawa is desperate to start making the playoffs.

My opinion is that, sadly, both Ottawa and New Jersey say no to these trades. We all hope for big trades at the draft but it is so rare these days. That’s when picks are at their highest value and players under contract are at their lowest value. Would love for it to happen but I imagine any trade with either of these teams would be for picks in the 2025 draft instead.
I would definitely do the first one, NJ would not. If I am Conroy I would turn down the Ottawa trade. That is a lot to give up for one magic bean in a draft where there is a lack of sure bets. Out of the two players mentioned the one they would move us Norris and just no thanks, he is made of porcelain. That would be a very bad trade for Calgary.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 12:58 PM   #963
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Ottawa is under unbelievable pressure to win next year. They are the team that moved the 7th overall pick. That 5th overall pick has almost no value for them because by the time that pick contributes Tkachuk will be getting traded for futures. The right side of their defence is horrific, might be the worst in the league, definitely bottom five. They will be upgrading that positon this offseason.

Current UFA right handed shot dmen options for them are

Tanev
Barrie
Myers
Montour
Demalo
Walker
Pesce

The rest are absolute garbage. The only names on that list that really move the needle for them are probably Tanev and Montour.

The Sens have 12 million dollars to sign the following players before they try to fix the right side via UFA or trade market

Pinto
Brannstrom
Parker Kelly

If they want to sign those 3 players that takes up 7 million of the space. So that leaves them about 5 million bucks to sign 3-4 more players including hopefully Tanev or Montour.

Strongly suspect the Sens try to trade for a right shot RD this summer. Also suspect they do not want to move any of their forwards outside of Greig and Pinto. They also need to create salary room or move a guy that would cost salary room in the trade. Only other logical option they have is to find a team that would trade Chychrun straight up for a right shot RD or trade Chychrun for a bunch of prospects/futures and hope that those are good enough to get a right shot RD.

I would be surprised if the Sens place a huge value on the 5th overall pick at this point in time if it allows them to get a top 4 RD. They have traded their last two first round picks and are definitely on the verge of having a significant drop in attendance. People cannot give away Sens tickets these days, just got offered two to see the Oilers but said no because I had other plans for Sunday and had no desire to see the Oilers pound them 5-2.

Long rant to basically agree with you, I think the Sens would consider Rasmus straight up for the 5th overall pick and then try to move Chychrun for cost controlled pieces.
I think they’d be more likely to trade the # 5 pick for a very young but established dman who is still relatively cheap, than for 2 years of Rasmus.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:18 PM   #964
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Friends don't let friends do hard drugs and post.
Seems like a mix of responses to the trades. Some think it’s Calgary that says no, others say Ottawa. Same for the Markstrom trade. Which are you saying is too much that’s it’s crazy? I agree that it’s doubtful these trades happen simply because teams rarely trade top ten picks but are you saying the flames would be over-paying or Ottawa/New Jersey would be?
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #965
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like a mix of responses to the trades. Some think it’s Calgary that says no, others say Ottawa. Same for the Markstrom trade. Which are you saying is too much that’s it’s crazy? I agree that it’s doubtful these trades happen simply because teams rarely trade top ten picks but are you saying the flames would be over-paying or Ottawa/New Jersey would be?
I don't think it's a value issue per se.

It's the fact that top 10 picks in a year where there is 9 players that look quite good are rarely traded, as the value of a budding potential star with lots of control and cheap years is pretty enticing in a cap world.

If Calgary is truly rebuilding, they should jump on these trades, as it's a chance to build a potentially elite core of players.

Marky and Rasmus will be gone in 2 years. What then?
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #966
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
He still probably has a better chance with LA. San Jose and Anaheim are in the toilet. Calgary is retooling. Vancouver will be up and down along with Edmonton. Seattle isn't really a threat. LA isn't a huge threat either, but they have made the playoffs more than New Jersey.

It's likely that no one wants to play with PLD. Not sure what LA was thinking, but that will go down as one of the worst trades ever.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:42 PM   #967
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think they’d be more likely to trade the # 5 pick for a very young but established dman who is still relatively cheap, than for 2 years of Rasmus.
Dont disagree but the list of young established right shot dmen who are relatively cheap is limited. They have to obviously be available as well. The list I have is as follows

Dobson - one more year at 4 Million. Doubt he is available from the Islanders. Better than Rasmus.
Bouchard - one more year at 3.9 million. Not available.
Faber - One more year at 925K. May be available but I suspect I would rather have Rasmus
Seider - RFA this offseason, likely costs more than Rasmus and doubt the Red Wings trade him
Durzi - RFA this offseason, likely cheaper than Rasmus, certainly available but not better than Rasmus in the next two years. probably save about a million getting him.

I personally have no other names on the list that fit the criteria of young and cost controlled that are available. So from that list at least the competition is Faber with the Wild and Durzi with the Coyotes.

Given Ottawa's salary limitations they do not have a lot of good trade options for right shot dmen who are available and could be trade for or signed as UFA's.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-21-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 02:46 PM   #968
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Dont disagree but the list of young established right shot dmen who are relatively cheap is limited. They have to obviously be available as well. The list I have is as follows

Dobson - two more years at 4 Million. Doubt he is available from the Islanders.
Bouchard - one more year at 3.9 million. Not available.
Faber - One more year at 925K. May be available but I suspect I would rather have Rasmus
Seider - RFA this offseason, likely costs more than Rasmus and doubt the Red Wings trade him
Durzi - RFA this offseason, likely cheaper than Rasmus, certainly available but not better than Rasmus in the next two years. probably save about a million getting him.

I personally have no other names on the list that fit the criteria of young and cost controlled that are available. So from that list at least the competition is Faber with the Wild and Durzi with the Coyotes.

Given Ottawa's salary limitations they do not have a lot of good trade options for right shot dmen who are available and could be trade for or signed as UFA's.

Faber would be rookie of the year if it wasn't for a guy named Bedard. He would be exactly what the Senators would want, but zero chance he'd be available. If Calgary could trade Rasmus for him, they'd be all over that.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:50 PM   #969
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if Ottawa really wants to improve their right side on defence, has limited cap space and wants to shake up their team to finally start making the playoffs next year… seems like Andersson is their best option. No idea if they like him as a player or if the flames would be willing to trade him, but if a top 10 pick was potentially on the table, I think Conroy should absolutely be in on that.

We keep discussing “rebuild” vs “retool” and I think it’s about turning things around faster than these rebuilds you see from so many teams (Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, etc.). Something you see (for the most part) in those long rebuilds is the selection of an impact player usually comes in annually (at best) through the draft.. and it’s usually a single player each year (from their own first round pick). The typical model is that these teams make 1 high first round pick in the top 10 every year and then an extra pick or two in the first round that’s outside the top 20 by trading rental players/veteran players at the TDL. Unless a team hits big on one of the later picks (outside the top 10 in a draft), it takes so many years to draft a core of 5-6 players… 5-6 years if you get one impact player per year from your own pick.

The Dallas model was that they hit big on 3 players in a single draft. They managed to do that with 2 picks outside the top 10 which is lucky. Instead of hoping your scouts get some gems with 2nd/3rd round picks or late 1st round picks in a single draft like Dallas did… the flames could improve their chances of getting a new core really fast by trying to get 2-3 picks in the top 10 of this draft. If they hit on 2 of 3 picks in the top 10, then possibly draft in the top 5 next year… they could have 3 new core pieces of the team in the span of two years. Add in at least two of Zary, Coronato, Wolf and Pelletier and it looks like a competitive core in 3-4 years instead of 5-6 years under a typical rebuild.

Much easier said than done of course… teams just don’t trade those picks… especially at the draft. It would be an incredible start to this rebuild/retool though. Drafting Lindstrom, Yakemchuk, and Iginla in the span of 30 minutes would make for the most exciting draft in this team’s history.

Last edited by stemit14; 03-21-2024 at 03:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #970
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the flames could improve their chances of getting a new core really fast by trying to get 2-3 picks in the top 10 of this draft.
Teams picking in the top 10 are looking for prospects and futures, because they are not winning now. So you want the Flames to trade away their prospects and futures for… prospects and futures? Obviously they would have to overpay, because otherwise there is no incentive for the teams holding those picks to give them up.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:36 PM   #971
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Teams picking in the top 10 are looking for prospects and futures, because they are not winning now. So you want the Flames to trade away their prospects and futures for… prospects and futures? Obviously they would have to overpay, because otherwise there is no incentive for the teams holding those picks to give them up.
Disagree. There a few teams in the bottom 10 that absolutely did not expect to be there and aren't set for a rebuild. Trading picks and prospects for pieces that may help now could be suitable for the Senators, Sabres, Penguins, Devils, Kraken could all look to upgrade immediately.

Vancouver 1st ++ to move into top 10. Mangiapane, Coleman, Markstrom, Andersson could all be help now + pieces in that.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 PM   #972
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Disagree. There a few teams in the bottom 10 that absolutely did not expect to be there and aren't set for a rebuild. Trading picks and prospects for pieces that may help now could be suitable for the Senators, Sabres, Penguins, Devils, Kraken could all look to upgrade immediately.

Vancouver 1st ++ to move into top 10. Mangiapane, Coleman, Markstrom, Andersson could all be help now + pieces in that.
This. Especially the Sens, Sabres and Devils. Those teams have had their time at the bottom of the draft and are all desperate to start making the playoffs consistently. I don’t think the Sabres would want much of what the flames have to offer in terms of the players mentioned so I think the best targets are the Sens and Devils.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:05 PM   #973
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This. Especially the Sens, Sabres and Devils. Those teams have had their time at the bottom of the draft and are all desperate to start making the playoffs consistently. I don’t think the Sabres would want much of what the flames have to offer in terms of the players mentioned so I think the best targets are the Sens and Devils.
Penguins should be up there too. They've got a window with Sid left and Mangiapane could be a decent Guentzel replacement for Sid.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:35 PM   #974
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the UFAs potentially available for the Flames to sign. I only want one. Sean Monahan. That's it. Don't know if he'd be open to coming back but bring him back.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:33 PM   #975
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
They would have lost the trade if it was for Vilardi straight up. Then throw in the other two players and cap it all off with a max term Dubois extension. Total disaster.

Eh, the trade looks like a real loser now, and the extension even more so, but there is lots of time for it to swing the other way (not that I think it will). Vilardi is having a great year when he's healthy, but for a guy whose been injured a lot, you have to worry about his

Iafallo is a middle-sixer at best, and Kupari is basically nothing. The 2nd is, at this point magic beans. If Dubois decides to start giving a crap or someone smacks his head (big ifs I agree), it could still turn out okay for the Kings.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 PM   #976
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw Seravalli on barn burner today mentioning the flames will be active in free agency but likely not big game hunting. I’ll be fine with that as long as any signings they make are tradable contracts. Avoid the temptation to sign Chandler Stephenson to a long contract for too much money (that he will never live up to) because he “knows how to win” - that was the Treliving style of free agency. Look for the smart signings… like what Montreal did with Monahan. Low risk and high reward in trade. If Montreal ended up being competitive this year, Monahan would have been a great signing. They weren’t and he was still a great signing because of the return he brought back.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 07:30 PM   #977
Maraqopa
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Of all the UFAs potentially available for the Flames to sign. I only want one. Sean Monahan. That's it. Don't know if he'd be open to coming back but bring him back.
I’m with you on this! He’s exactly the guy I want in the room!
Maraqopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:14 PM   #978
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saw Seravalli on barn burner today mentioning the flames will be active in free agency but likely not big game hunting. I’ll be fine with that as long as any signings they make are tradable contracts. Avoid the temptation to sign Chandler Stephenson to a long contract for too much money (that he will never live up to) because he “knows how to win” - that was the Treliving style of free agency. Look for the smart signings… like what Montreal did with Monahan. Low risk and high reward in trade. If Montreal ended up being competitive this year, Monahan would have been a great signing. They weren’t and he was still a great signing because of the return he brought back.
Frank is fancying guesses at best.

It's one thing to know about current trade talks, but it's a whole other thing to know a team's offseason plan well ahead of the offseason.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:30 PM   #979
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I don't think it's a value issue per se.

It's the fact that top 10 picks in a year where there is 9 players that look quite good are rarely traded, as the value of a budding potential star with lots of control and cheap years is pretty enticing in a cap world.

If Calgary is truly rebuilding, they should jump on these trades, as it's a chance to build a potentially elite core of players.

Marky and Rasmus will be gone in 2 years. What then?
Crap, I missed the memo where Rasmus Andersson said he was leaving in two years. Did anyone else get it?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:36 AM   #980
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Crap, I missed the memo where Rasmus Andersson said he was leaving in two years. Did anyone else get it?
I wouldn’t want to sign him for 8 years when he is almost 31 years old.

Better for a rebuilding team to trade him for a very good return than sign him long term.

Last edited by The Cobra; 03-22-2024 at 12:50 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good