Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2023, 03:45 PM   #9701
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The reason why a province like Nova Scotia does not use natural gas is because the infrastructure just isn't there and was never part of their energy solution. People in Atlantic Canada don't use heating oil because they choose to, it's the most viable and sometimes only viable option. Electricity as belsarius has stated is not a reliable heating source in the winter where power outages or brownouts are common which may last days. Anyone who has lived in the Maritimes during icestorms or blizzards can attest to it.
But you don't need gas to heat. Basically no one east of Ontario uses gas to any great degree, yet Nova Scotia and PEI are the only ones that rely so heavily on heating oil. Newfoundland has essentially zero gas usage, but they manage because 84% of households use electricity to heat. New Brunswick is the same, with over 80% of households using electricity.

As for power outages, what use is a gas furnace if you can't run the fan? Sure, you can run a generator, but that has its own capital expense and hassle. It'd be just as easy (and significantly cheaper) to use electricity for heat and then have wood heat for backup in more rural areas.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:07 PM   #9702
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1719429199264374806
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:22 PM   #9703
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting Mark Carney says he would have gone in a different direction from pause in climate change tax hold in Atlantic Canada.

"I would have looked for other ways to provide that support than the route chosen, not least because what is important is that clarity in terms of the overall plan, the overall direction. Because that certainty helps to incentivize change, so you can provide support here, but keep this certainty there."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...-oil-1.6624697

https://twitter.com/user/status/1719443276825329860

Last edited by Yoho; 10-31-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:28 PM   #9704
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Carney would be the obvious choice to replace JT at the top, I think there's a reason he's kept his distance even when they tried to lure him in as a consultant or whatever they call it.
I won't pretend to be an expert on Canadian politics but I think it'll take a long time to wash the stink off of Trudeal liberals. For their sake they better hope Carney is as good a politician as he is a brainiac.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #9705
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Carney would be a good choice to replace Trudeau. BUT CAN HE EAT AN APPLE?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:45 PM   #9706
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Freeland would be the establishment next-in-line, but while I like her she is too associated with the current leadership and is Finance Minister during bad economic times.

Carney could be great - I'd love to see him and Poilievre go head to head on central banks and inflation - but it remains to be seen how politically savvy he is. If he's truly savvy he might want to sit this cycle out if the current polling persists.

Last edited by edslunch; 11-01-2023 at 05:01 PM.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:47 PM   #9707
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cory Morgan tweet was unnecessary. Be better. lol
Old 10-31-2023, 04:48 PM   #9708
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Freehand would be the establishment next-in-line, but while I like her she is too associated with the current leadership and is Finance Minister during bad economic times.

Carney could be great - I'd love to see him and Poilievre go head to head on central banks and inflation - but it remains to be seen how politically savvy he is. If he's truly savvy he might want to sit this cycle out if the current polling persists.
Chummy Apples isn't really a threat. Especially in Ontario. Carney or Freeland should definitely jump in to get rid of Mr. Dressup.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:50 PM   #9709
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This Arrive Can stuff is facinating and shows the profiteer for no work side of Federal Contracting.

Basically this company for example Dalian which has two partners, spends all day bidding on contracts from the Federal Government.

When they win it, they then subcontract it out, and bill on project management, even though the subcontractor works directly with the government and manages their own contracts.

Their value add which is project management, they don't do because the government manages the project with the subcontractors.

So basically its the whole. The government wants a fence painted. Dalian bids $100.00 they win, they get a subcontractor to do the work for $50.00 and the subcontractor does the contract and coordinates with the government who manages the work.

This is insanity. Literally these ghost firms double or more the value of contracts and do next to no work.

We really need to repair Federal and Provincial Public works with a flame thrower.

This is why a app like Arrive Can ends up costing $54 million bucks and most of the money vanishes.

Its insane how this works, It probably explains why in Canada a Destroyer costs more then an Aircraft Carrier.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #9710
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Chummy Apples isn't really a threat. Especially in Ontario. Carney or Freeland should definitely jump in to get rid of Mr. Dressup.

No idea if you are living in fantasy land or are just not aware but,

Federal polls | Ontario

43% ± 6% Conservative
32% ± 5% Liberal
17% ± 4% NDP
5% ± 2% Green
3% PPC

https://338canada.com/polls-on.htm

The Libs are in a world of trouble at this point and may have put the final dagger in their own back with this latest screw-up.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #9711
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1719411985937215769

Nothing like using your children as pathetic political props. Top notch parenting there, you can tell by the looks on their faces the kids are really happy to be doing this. Unreal. Let kids be kids you stupid twat. She's a CPC MP in Peterborough.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #9712
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
No idea if you are living in fantasy land or are just not aware but,

Federal polls | Ontario

43% ± 6% Conservative
32% ± 5% Liberal
17% ± 4% NDP
5% ± 2% Green
3% PPC

https://338canada.com/polls-on.htm

The Libs are in a world of trouble at this point and may have put the final dagger in their own back with this latest screw-up.
Next week they will continue making some serious blunders, and people like Johnny will keep claiming ain't nobody gonna beat his beloved party!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #9713
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This Arrive Can stuff is facinating and shows the profiteer for no work side of Federal Contracting.

Basically this company for example Dalian which has two partners, spends all day bidding on contracts from the Federal Government.

When they win it, they then subcontract it out, and bill on project management, even though the subcontractor works directly with the government and manages their own contracts.

Their value add which is project management, they don't do because the government manages the project with the subcontractors.

So basically its the whole. The government wants a fence painted. Dalian bids $100.00 they win, they get a subcontractor to do the work for $50.00 and the subcontractor does the contract and coordinates with the government who manages the work.

This is insanity. Literally these ghost firms double or more the value of contracts and do next to no work.

We really need to repair Federal and Provincial Public works with a flame thrower.

This is why a app like Arrive Can ends up costing $54 million bucks and most of the money vanishes.

Its insane how this works, It probably explains why in Canada a Destroyer costs more then an Aircraft Carrier.
Certainly a huge issue. I have some knowledge in other industries that use the same type of pocket filling on government contract work.

It's more my ignorance of the whole process, but I'm at a bit of a loss on solving this issue. Is it open tendering? Are companies just not bidding?

If it's open tendering with lowest bid wins, then how come a "project manager" can win the bid taking a 50% cut off the top?

I suppose, it's pretty much the movie "War Dogs" which was based on true events.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #9714
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Certainly a huge issue. I have some knowledge in other industries that use the same type of pocket filling on government contract work.

It's more my ignorance of the whole process, but I'm at a bit of a loss on solving this issue. Is it open tendering? Are companies just not bidding?

If it's open tendering with lowest bid wins, then how come a "project manager" can win the bid taking a 50% cut off the top?

I suppose, it's pretty much the movie "War Dogs" which was based on true events.

I'm just a small town bird lawyer. But, there needs to be a better vetting program put in place for people responding to bids.

I mean the hilarity of the whole arrive can testimony was the Con MP continuing to find out what Delian actually does as a two man company and finding out that they don't do anything. They spend all day responding to bids, and then subcontract everything out and don't even do any real project management. In 10 years I think this company has secured like $300 million dollars in contracts.

I mean we bloated the size of the civil service, so the capability of learning who your doing business with and why should be something that they're capable of.

And there are lots of these companies. Dalian, CCStrategies, their websites pretty much focus on government contracts. Maybe there needs to be an audit section in any RFP if you've done work on other contracts. Or a in person vetting process. If you walk into 1 of these companies and its two dudes, and they don't have any products that they've created, or any project managers on their payroll with experience, then they can't bid.

I don't know. But Dalian got paid 11 million dollars for arrive can. I think CCStrategies got 9 million. We got an app that ended up costing $54 million, and most of that money probably didn't go to product development.

And its getting worse. The Billion dollar green fund were millions have just been given away. We're seeing recordings of phone calls with senior bureaucrats talking about how lazy, and incompetent there own people are and how the minister is going to flip out when the minister see's that money is basically being flung out the door and vanishing.

Look, I'm not going to make this just a Liberal thing, because its not, this kind of ghost contracting, or money disbursement issues has probably gone on since Zog contracted out a club building program to Nug and Sons in the caveman days.

But this calls into question the whole procurement process and contracts process and the cost of anything that the government has paid to build, procure or whatever.

Onto the government comms side of things. you have to wonder if Katey Telford has thrown in the towel. It just seems that every day the Liberals are just blundering into traps or saying stupid stuff. This isn't what the Liberals were like during the last couple of elections. Even Trudeau is saying just silly stuff now. His performance in the house yesterday where he was yelling at PP that nobody would vote for the Cons in an election, and PP simply telling him to bring it on.

Marc Miller stating that nobodies wallet is safe around PP was just stupid given the current affordability issues. The partial removal of the Carbon Tax i the Atlantic followed by a Liberal MP telling Albertan's that because they don't elect Liberals they don't get the same merit.

Its right now like the Liberals are throwing slow high slowpitch balls at major league hitters.

I wonder if there's an internal division where the PMO and the Liberal MP's are trying to make things so bad for the Libs that Justin has no choice but to step down.

Its bizarre.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #9715
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

While we are all clearly worried about how a CPC MP in Peterborough dressed their kids up for Halloween mocking the Arrive Can app, quite shocking and deserving of mass condemnation from all of us, we have a ho hum secret recording that was just released by a whistleblower who has been calling in question SDTC's misappropriation of funds (paid by this carbon tax thing). Something about free money or something. Not sure, didn't pay much attention once I saw that shocking CPC MP tweet enraging me but here's the summary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sdt...ings-1.7014108

Quote:
"It was free money," he said, before making an analogy with the controversy that affected Jean Chrétien's Liberal government in the early 2000s. "That is almost a sponsorship-scandal level kind of giveaway."
This follows an earlier CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sdt...ised-1.6998879

Quote:
In their report, investigators raised questions about SDTC's decision to distribute $38 million in emergency "relief payments" in 2020 and 2021 to companies with which it had previous funding agreements.

Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton's report said these contributions "did not appear to be consistent with the requirements" of SDTC's contribution agreement with the government and "the payments do not require project cost eligibility or monitoring and reporting."
The SDTC, which appears to be funded through the currently very much in the news carbon tax was previously stopped earlier this month after the allegations came to light, but it somehow never got posted by our often well concerned posters here. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sus...agne-1.6985847

But that kid dressed against his will with the Adscam costume? Unreal.

Last edited by Firebot; 11-01-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 09:43 AM   #9716
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I heard that recording this morning. Clearly the Liberals have a leaky ship right now. We have whistleblowers with the Green Fund and Whistle blowers in Arrive Can.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:57 AM   #9717
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile in the Maritimes, where they apparently can't possibly be expected to electrify their heating, 2 crypto mining facilities alone use about 2% of New Brunswick's entire generation capacity. They've now banned power sales to new crypto facilities, but the existing ones can keep wasting a bunch of electricity while producing almost zero economic benefit for the province:
Quote:
The New Brunswick government is banning N.B. Power from providing electricity service to new cryptocurrency mining operations.

Energy Minister Mike Holland introduced legislation Tuesday that, once passed, would turn what has been a temporary freeze into a permanent legal ban.
Hive Blockchain Technologies is operating a 70-megawatt bitcoin mine in Grand Falls, and a second proposed facility owned by Chief Fuels won approval, and an electricity supply, before the moratorium went into effect.

The combined annual electricity consumption of the two mines, 96 megawatts, would be close to the yearly generation of the small modular nuclear reactor model being developed by Arc Clean Energy of Saint John.

Put another way, it's the equivalent of two and a half months of output from N.B. Power's Belledune generating station.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ines-1.7014210
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #9718
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Think that there is room for conversation about how wasteful people are with electracy and heat.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #9719
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

This is common practice in consulting in all industries. The Big 4 basically do this but hide it better. If there is a consulting contract, they go out and hire or repurpose staff under usually one member that actually knows what they are doing. Then they put internal PM and partner costs on for gravy. Typically companies will pay $1500/hour for a team for say 4 and only one of the four has any expertise at all.

You need to have solid Procurement people who know the work to weed this out. However many companies don’t, and they get taken advantage of. Hemce all the failed projects you see in all companies. The Big 4 structure their contracts to CYA but companies don’t.

Its an insanely lucrative market for them everywhere.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #9720
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
While we are all clearly worried about how a CPC MP in Peterborough dressed their kids up for Halloween mocking the Arrive Can app, quite shocking and deserving of mass condemnation from all of us, we have a ho hum secret recording that was just released by a whistleblower who has been calling in question SDTC's misappropriation of funds (paid by this carbon tax thing). Something about free money or something. Not sure, didn't pay much attention once I saw that shocking CPC MP tweet enraging me but here's the summary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sdt...ings-1.7014108

This follows an earlier CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sdt...ised-1.6998879

The SDTC, which appears to be funded through the currently very much in the news carbon tax was previously stopped earlier this month after the allegations came to light, but it somehow never got posted by our often well concerned posters here. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sus...agne-1.6985847

But that kid dressed against his will with the Adscam costume? Unreal.
It’s good you brought this up, because we can’t talk about two things at once, and it would be impossible to bring up the more important thing without mocking people who were talking about something else.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: