Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2023, 10:36 AM   #9401
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be awesome if more people seriously considered the Alberta Party. They are coming right up the middle and are a sensible choice for many people. It is true that they won't win this election and they likely won't even win a seat but they need the support to continue to build and potentially become a viable choice in the next go around. Without support for tertiary parties we'll continue to spiral to a two party system which is not something we should be encouraging.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #9402
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It would be awesome if more people seriously considered the Alberta Party. They are coming right up the middle and are a sensible choice for many people. It is true that they won't win this election and they likely won't even win a seat but they need the support to continue to build and potentially become a viable choice in the next go around. Without support for tertiary parties we'll continue to spiral to a two party system which is not something we should be encouraging.
They're further left than the ANDP.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #9403
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, there are two parties in alberta?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #9404
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised but also not surprised that there were only two questions regarding the labour code and one of them only affected people not old enough to vote.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #9405
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
No questions on health care, excepting the one regarding the role of privatization. Really, today, I plan to vote for the party that can deliver the best plan for health care, and I don't know what that is.
There was four related to healthcare, but the one you mentioned was the only relevant to the healthcare system. (One was Child Vaccination, Illegal Drugs at Consumption sites, and a MAIDs question)

My critical topics are Housing/Cost of Living, Health Care and Energy Policy. Actually hearing someone with a real climate plan would be a breath of fresh air instead of just trying to tax the problem away.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:47 AM   #9406
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://votecompass.cbc.ca/alberta2023

Vote Compass is up. Time for Conservative voters to see how embarrassingly close they get to NDP values.

My results

Spoiler!

Wow I am surprised

Quote:
How much you agree with the parties

Green Party of Alberta (GRN)
73%

Alberta Liberal Party (LIB)
72%

Alberta Party (AP)
72%

Alberta New Democratic Party (NDP)
67%

United Conservative Party of Alberta (UCP)
28%

Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta (WIP)

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:47 AM   #9407
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
No, not necessarily and probably not as a whole. They are right in some policies and left in some policies. In general, they are making the sensible choices for direction overall when it comes to the broad issues of economy, environment, health care and education.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #9408
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the questions were worse this year

Quote:
Federal government policies are more to blame for the rising cost of living than is price gouging by big corporations.
In particular the false choices given like this one.

Or the false choice of royalty revenues being used to pay down debt or fund social programs. The better questions would be Oil revenues should not be used to fund the operational requirements of government or All oil revenues should be saved in a heritage fund with only investment proceeds being spent.

No question should be a choice between two options

As usual socially in line with NDP and Fiscally in line with the conservatives. But I think a lot of that is bad question framing and missing questions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #9409
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It strikes me that the NDP answered as center right as they could on this poll to try grab more votes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #9410
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this was a reasonable position on the last election when the NDP didn’t have much of a chance to win and voting for future options could have made things better today.

However in this election if you are in Calgary your job is to make a choice and not punt.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #9411
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is another example of where labelling parties as left or right on a made up spectrum fails.

The Alberta party is more progressive than they were during the last election but I haven’t seen anything from them suggesting they’re going to do much to fix things like the labour code. Haven’t been able to find much on how they plan to adjust the tax code so that we actually have the revenue necessary to get projects going while meaningfully and sustainably paying down the debt either.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:00 AM   #9412
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
This is another example of where labelling parties as left or right on a made up spectrum fails.

The Alberta party is more progressive than they were during the last election but I haven’t seen anything from them suggesting they’re going to do much to fix things like the labour code. Haven’t been able to find much on how they plan to adjust the tax code so that we actually have the revenue necessary to get projects going while meaningfully and sustainably paying down the debt either.
It might be too light on details for you but look at their policy book/document (https://assets.nationbuilder.com/abp...pdf?1675179105) if you haven't already done so:

Quote:
Alberta Fiscal Policy - Revenues
● The Alberta Party will reduce personal income taxes on low- and medium-income earners by
increasing the basic personal exemption;
● The Alberta Party will increase the marginal tax rate of the highest income earners;
● The Alberta Party will support Small Businesses in Alberta by increasing the income tax
deduction limit;
● The Alberta Party will keep the Corporate Tax Rate at the current %;
● The Alberta Party will investigate the introduction of a combined Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
with the federal GST. Further that any introduction of a sales tax would not happen until the
current financial crisis (in regards to increased inflation and the effects on Albertans) has been
rectified.
○ The HST will have a rebate for low-income individuals similar to that of the current
GST.
○ The provincial part of the sales tax, a portion will be directed towards debt repayment
and the remaining part will be added to general revenues to fund program
expenditures
● The Alberta Party will re-introduce a made-in-Alberta, provincial carbon tax with the same
emission reduction targets as the federal program. Further that this carbon tax will include a
rebate for low-income Albertans, municipalities, school boards, nonprofit entities and rural,
remote residents including a farm fuel exemption.

Government Finance
● An Alberta Party government would implement a progressive personal income tax in
Alberta.
● An Alberta Party government would investigate models for alternate sources for government
revenue.
● An Alberta Party government would phase out, over time, Alberta’s small business tax.

Helping Alberta’s Working Poor with a Wage Top-up
An Alberta Party Government would:
1. Conduct a thorough review of existing poverty reduction programs and produce a
comprehensive plan to support Alberta’s working poor.
2. As part of this plan, introduce a wage top-up program that will provide the
working poor with targeted benefits while maintaining the incentive to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #9413
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Not to respond to Yoho - but who is lib-media in Alberta? All the papers are owned by Post media, Danielle Smith had/has a radio show so I can't imagine its a radio station. Is it just the CBC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
lib-media = any media he disagrees with.
From "Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5":

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Conservative propaganda ≠ reality
Conservative propaganda ≠ Liberal propaganda
∴ reality = Liberal propaganda

Frankly it's at the heart of the use of "mainstream media" as a conservative shibboleth, and it's right out of Joseph Goebbels's playbook; read up about the "Lügenpresse"...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:14 AM   #9414
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was great seeing all the NDP signs pop up over the weekend. Also nice to see 7 of my close neighbours with them too!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:33 AM   #9415
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
It was great seeing all the NDP signs pop up over the weekend. Also nice to see 7 of my close neighbours with them too!
Came home yesterday (Tuscany) to see the community littered with NDP signs. Counted probably 20-25 including 1/2 dozen on our street. Still early (election had not even been called yet) but there was not a single sign for any other party.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #9416
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it seems the NDP jumped the gun on sign deployment. Probably gambled it was worth the risk of fines, since they have more money than they can spend(so do the UCP). And if there is any pushback, they can point to all of Danielle's campaigning at govenrment funding announcements.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #9417
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Rachel and her husband just put ours up about 20 mins ago.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #9418
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Vote Compass is always fun, I just barely missed dead center of the graph.

Alberta Liberal Party
79%

Alberta New Democratic Party
77%

Alberta Party
73%

Green Party of Alberta
69%

United Conservative Party of Alberta
37%

Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta
31%

I assume they are the leaders of the other 3 parties, but my opinion of them is, I don't know who they hell these people are and really don't care.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:52 AM   #9419
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It might be too light on details for you but look at their policy book/document (https://assets.nationbuilder.com/abp...pdf?1675179105) if you haven't already done so:
Thanks I was trying to find that on their website.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #9420
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, it seems the NDP jumped the gun on sign deployment. Probably gambled it was worth the risk of fines, since they have more money than they can spend(so do the UCP). And if there is any pushback, they can point to all of Danielle's campaigning at govenrment funding announcements.

As long as the signs are on private property there is no issue with them being up. The rules about when/where signs can go up only apply to public property.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post: