Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #921
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
My wife finally caved, and I bought the Weber Genesis II E330 last week.

https://www.weber.com/CA/en/grills/g.../61022001.html

I love it. It's so easy to use, it gets hot like a mofo quickly and stays that way. Grilling area is all even, and so damned easy to clean. Not to mention it look beautiful too.

I will be bbqing all summer/fall and even winter if i can. lol
Where did you get it?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #922
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Found a great new App for Bbq. I have a Vision Kamado style Smoker and this is an app I recommend: HowToBBQRight.

Enjoy.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #923
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
My only complaint is that I get a lot of smoke around the door flange. I was going to pick up some oven gasket and see if I can seal it up a little better.

Don't gasket the lid, you want the airflow for the swings and to create the smoke. Too little airflow means too much stability means less pellet feeding and less smoke. If you're concerned about the temp swings or if its not getting hot enough or whatever, you need to adjust your chimney cap, and you should be adjusting it seasonally anyhow (lower in winter, higher in summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I have a Kamado grill and generally smoke using lump charcoal, but the ongoing temperature management for a 3-4 hour cook is quite demanding.

You guys have me intrigued with these GMG grills. I've known they're all the rage forr the last couple years but never really looked into them given my Kamado was pretty new.

Must....resist. I already have 2 grills and a wood fired pizza oven (Uuni), so can't imagine the wife would be thrilled with another smoker.

Don't be ashamed, I have a regular BBQ, a cabinet smoker, a Kamado, and a pellet grill. You can never have too many devices because they all have their strong suits (although, my cabinet never gets touched anymore)

As for the Kamado being demanding, for sure it takes some finesse, but the flavor is unmatched by the pellets. The smoke, the bark, the really authentic wood flavor, everything is just incredible on the Kamado. I will 100% admit that the pellet is incredibly convenient. I'm using it more than my regular BBQ now for almost everything, especially Jerky, potato skins, I've done a whole turkey, ham, ribs, roasts, burgers, etc. Its very set and forget. I couple that with the Fireboard using the temp probes only and I can carry on doing anything else I want and see whats going on all the time.

What made a huge difference for me and the Kamado was I got a Fireboard with the fan and controller. You light the Kamado, bring it to your target temp (or just above), let the temp drop off a bit and let the fireboard take over. It stokes and chokes the fire and maintains your temp without you having to fiddle with vents. It also cloud logs your cooks and temps so you can look at them anywhere. Its $$$, but its worth it if you want to do a marathon smoke like briskets or shoulders. As close to set and forget as you can get with them.

Last edited by Aleks; 04-29-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #924
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Where did you get it?
Rona. Same price at Home Depot, yet apparently Weber's are exempt from their Beat by 10% policy, even though I heard otherwise. My friend who used to work at another Home Depot says Weber's never go on sale, and if they do, it's in the 50-100 dollar range.

So I figured, why wait til end of season to save 50-100, and just buy now, so I can cook all summer. I have zero regrets.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #925
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just when I decided the GMG Davy Crockett was too small.....Of course Amazon would have a Traeger Pro on sale for $720. Tempting me.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FX3DN6S/...M63JE8M2YBW5QC
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #926
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just when I decided the GMG Davy Crockett was too small.....Of course Amazon would have a Traeger Pro on sale for $720. Tempting me.

I have a similar model (same size, less options) and it's pretty good. Mine is tall enough to stand a beer can chicken upright and wide enough for 2 briskets.

At $720 that's a pretty good deal, mine has a 22lb pellet hopper though, but if you're checking your smoker every hour-few hours you'll never have an issue.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #927
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I've heard that traeger, which is now made in China has a ton of quality issues and they aren't what they used to be.

Basically your paying off a cheaply built smoker with a big brand name on it.

I looked at traeger at Costco when I bought my GMG and everything was cheaper, thinner metal, crappy wheels, and I've read they have temp control issues on some models.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #928
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've heard that traeger, which is now made in China has a ton of quality issues and they aren't what they used to be.

I looked at traeger at Costco when I bought my GMG and everything was cheaper, thinner metal, crappy wheels, and I've read they have temp control issues on some models.
How well do the GMG work in the winter? My 2 year old traegar can maintain 360 farenheit on cold ish days. It could still smoke very well though.

I've only ever had temp control issues when moisture got into the hopper/pellets. If it's even ~0 degrees out, mine does well, i just give the RTD a quick clean before a long smoke.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #929
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
How well do the GMG work in the winter? My 2 year old traegar can maintain 360 farenheit on cold ish days. It could still smoke very well though.

I've only ever had temp control issues when moisture got into the hopper/pellets. If it's even ~0 degrees out, mine does well, i just give the RTD a quick clean before a long smoke.
I grilled all winter, low and slow or hot and fast I never had any issues. Nothing stands out, but I know I did at least one batch of jerky in the low 200s and I grilled burgers a few times in the 400s.

I do use a cheap welding blanket for insulation, but that's more to cut down in pellet usage.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #930
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just like when I bought my Vermont Castings BBQ just over 12 years ago. The new ones are crap now, and I can't even buy spare parts for my good one.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #931
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Just like when I bought my Vermont Castings BBQ just over 12 years ago. The new ones are crap now, and I can't even buy spare parts for my good one.
Everything is going this way dammit. I pulled the trigger on a Weber Summit last year for this reason. Slowly and slowly the made in China units are taking over Weber's lineup. The Genesis LX ($1,800) made in the USA has been discontinued and it's all about the Genesis II's ($1,100).

That leaves the Summit as the lone USA made units and I fully expect that to change in the next year. Retaliatory tarriff's against the US haven't helped as I believe they are applicable on BBQ's adding a few hundred bucks to a high end us made BBQ.

Napoleon is firmly down this route. Ironically OMC/Broil King may be your best best to get a North American made BBQ.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #932
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Napoleon is firmly down this route. Ironically OMC/Broil King may be your best best to get a North American made BBQ.
Aren't some models of Napoleon still made in Ontario?

I think Jackson Grills are still made in BC.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #933
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Aren't some models of Napoleon still made in Ontario?
Their top of the line models are still: Prestige and Prestige Pro. The LEX and Rogue lines are from China.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #934
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, Jackson Grills and Broilmate are still made in North America....any thoughts on quality?
I am looking at getting a new bbq, liking the Weber Genesis II (natural gas model) but if these are being made in China should I be concerned or just go with the Weber?
Mr Fireplace has the Jackson grill but no prices on the website (haven't been down there yet) so I'm not sure if the price is comparable for a similar model
I plan on heading down to barbeques galore for the weber and getting them to install it (need my gas line extended as it is 20ft from where I want to bbq and thus need a gasfitter).
Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #935
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wanted to congratulate all the people with 800, 1200, 700 etc dollar grills on their success in life. Must be nice.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #936
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I just wanted to congratulate all the people with 800, 1200, 700 etc dollar grills on their success in life. Must be nice.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #937
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also bought a Genesis II at BBQ Galore this weekend. Anyone use the iGrill bluetooth attachment? Work good?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #938
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Didn't you just buy a new house and populate it with TV's bigger and more expensive than you needed, sound systems and wifi mesh equipment?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #939
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn't you just buy a new house and populate it with TV's bigger and more expensive than you needed, sound systems and wifi mesh equipment?
Yeah but he didn't have enough to get the fancy grill too. Don't be insensitive Fuzz!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Ice
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #940
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Whoa looks like a nerve was touched. I thought the humour in my post was self evident, it wasn't a critical post. People can spend their money how they wish. Even if it's something silly like a 1200 BBQ
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber