Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #9181
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CBC Front Burner podcast recently had an episode on 15 minute cities.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcas...eads-to-canada

27 minutes - a good overview of:
- How the concept started
- A few criticism of the concept
- How Oxford, England and Oxford County (Oxfordshire) England unfortunately created much confusion on the concept
- how the conspircy theorists have been presenting it

website for the Front burner podcasts
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/209-front-burner
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 05:47 PM   #9182
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
My only complaint about the 15-minute city: what happens if you don’t have a car (everything is close!) and you lose or change jobs. Not everyone can get a job 15 mins from their house (especially in the GTA where 1 to 2 hour commutes (each way) aren’t unusual.

My answer: suck it up and make a decision. If everything but your job is 15 mins away from your house, you’re in a great spot. Or move. It is still a better goal/situation than job an hour a way, grocery 30 mins in other direction, etc.
I don't think it means literally every job. CNRL isn't going to move to a specific neighbourhood and only hire from there, unless we're going back to company towns.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:51 PM   #9183
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
CBC Front Burner podcast recently had an episode on 15 minute cities.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcas...eads-to-canada

27 minutes - a good overview of:
- How the concept started
- A few criticism of the concept
- How Oxford, England and Oxford County (Oxfordshire) England unfortunately created much confusion on the concept
- how the conspircy theorists have been presenting it

website for the Front burner podcasts
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/209-front-burner

CBC? I ain't gonna listen to that government-funded pinko woke Laurentian-elite media!

</s>
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 06:15 PM   #9184
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I don't think it means literally every job. CNRL isn't going to move to a specific neighbourhood and only hire from there, unless we're going back to company towns.

Agreed. Some people will get the job and move closer though, and then have another decision if they decide to change jobs/companies. That’s when they’d have to suck it up and live with it…
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #9185
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Theo represents the average UCP supporter.
No, the average UCP supporter simply doesn't trust the NDP to govern, and for sound economic reasons.

Notley and the NDP make a fine Loyal Opposition and I hope they stay there.

The UCP at its worst (Smith or even... Theo) is still less harmful to our economy than the NDP (Notley, Ceci, Phillips, Hoffman) at its best.

I look at some of the crazies in the UCP like the Griswold's look at cousin Eddie, but that doesn't mean I'm giving the keys to the NDP. Never again.
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:17 PM   #9186
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Amazing
Old 04-27-2023, 06:26 PM   #9187
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm continually amazed at how people can not see what an utter disaster Smith is. What a disaster the UCP has been. What a pending disaster a Take Back Alberta controlled party will be. How are people so thick?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #9188
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary-Elbow's UCP candidate Chris Davis came to my door today. Chatted with him for a little bit, but was quite clear that a party led by Danielle Smith is not a party that is going to be receptive to 'moderate' Conservative voices and that I'm voting Team Orange again.

Seems like a nice enough guy but I cannot and will not vote for that party.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #9189
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm continually amazed at how people can not see what an utter disaster Smith is. What a disaster the UCP has been. What a pending disaster a Take Back Alberta controlled party will be. How are people so thick?
You’re assuming that all of them are actually being fooled when a lot of them are in on the scam for personal gain.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #9190
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
No, the average UCP supporter simply doesn't trust the NDP to govern, and for sound economic reasons.

The UCP at its worst (Smith or even... Theo) is still less harmful to our economy than the NDP (Notley, Ceci, Phillips, Hoffman) at its best.

I look at some of the crazies in the UCP like the Griswold's look at cousin Eddie, but that doesn't mean I'm giving the keys to the NDP. Never again.
Honest question - do you keep up with the day to day activities of this current government?

You do realize that for every economic mistake the NDP made the UCP has probably four similar or worse mistakes. Let’s try an exercise, you name an NDP money waste and we will counter.

Last edited by surferguy; 04-27-2023 at 07:56 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #9191
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Given that you have over 4 years of evidence with this exact ANDP group governing, I assume you have examples you'd like to share. I look forward to the CP braintrust retorting any example you come up with with the UPC doing something either identical or 10x worse.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:22 PM   #9192
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Sound economic reasons? You do realize the UCP wasted over a billion dollars on a failed pipeline. Let that sink in. A billion dollars for absolutely NOTHING. That has to be the biggest financial waste in Alberta history cause it came with zero benefit to the people of this province. Yet somehow you don’t trust the NDP to manage the finances…
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 07:37 PM   #9193
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A work colleague dropped “Rachel will turn us into communists” bomb on me today…seems logical and rational. What the hell is wrong with people.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:54 PM   #9194
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

We won't get to hear loyal and true 's rebuttal. Sad!
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #9195
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
You’re assuming that all of them are actually being fooled when a lot of them are in on the scam for personal gain.
But most have just been indoctrinated.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:32 PM   #9196
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

NDP policies have been loaded with permanent spending increases which cost us all more then every one of your examples combined.

Out of any number of examples, I will stick with one. How many billions are wasted annually on debt servicing costs? That money could pay for 2 ridiculously stupid one-time mistakes, plus another 2 creative, half decent policies. EVERY YEAR.

The costs of constantly catering to NDP stakeholders creates a structure of permanent recurring cost increases, deficits and INCREASING debt service costs. oh, and compounding.

I know you think the NDP are better at minimizing costs but good luck with that sales pitch.

The fiscal revenue side is a whole other conversation. I definitely don't trust NDP policies to foster an environment for economic growth. Who would want to opreate as an employer (gasp.. corporation) in a province where investment returns (gasp... profits) are begrudged as if there were no risks involved?

This Arena deal... do NDP'ers think Murray Edwards is making billions operating this hockey team?!? I don't think so, but they seem entitled to think he should fork over hundreds of millions for an event centre the city needs more than he does.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #9197
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Is free enterprise a scam? Is personal gain a scandal? What about risk and reward?
Old 04-27-2023, 08:45 PM   #9198
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This Arena deal... do NDP'ers think Murray Edwards is making billions operating this hockey team?!? I don't think so, but they seem entitled to think he should fork over hundreds of millions for an event centre the city needs more than he does.
Quote:
Is free enterprise a scam? Is personal gain a scandal? What about risk and reward?

Tell me more...
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2023, 08:50 PM   #9199
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NDP policies have been loaded with permanent spending increases which cost us all more then every one of your examples combined.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #9200
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hilarious chart! Doesn't look so bad when you go back to 1965, eh?

Also... per capita? Sure then, so how much is 330 million for infrastructure spread over 35 years... per capita...