Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #881
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
fun until they get bottles of urine and other stuff thrown at them

Mexican fans there can be ruthless
All part of the experience
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 PM   #882
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, a 2-0 loss at Azteca is far from the worst result that could have happened. Friday's loss was far more demoralizing for me than tonight's loss.

Getting to the hex is purely in Canada's hands. They need a result in Honduras in Sept to move on. Have to think 8-1 would provide ample motivation for the squad to get a result. Will they? I doubt it. But it will be a hell of a game to watch.

And with that I will see you all in June when I bump the thread for the friendly vs Azerbaijan.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #883
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not mad with the scoreline, just mad that we literally (as far as I can remember) didn't generate a scoring chance. I wish we just had one impact player...someone that has the creativity to generate a chance individually, or even someone that's a beast in the air. We've got nothin. Le sigh.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #884
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Not mad with the scoreline, just mad that we literally (as far as I can remember) didn't generate a scoring chance. I wish we just had one impact player...someone that has the creativity to generate a chance individually, or even someone that's a beast in the air. We've got nothin. Le sigh.

it doesn't matter if we have a beast in the air if we play short corners.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #885
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
One star player cant do it all against a team like Mexico.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #886
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
it doesn't matter if we have a beast in the air if we play short corners.
As a centre back that wins the majority of balls in the air in my respective league, there is nothing that drives me more insane than running all the way up for a corner, only to have my idiot teammates run a short corner, and then have to sprint all the way back while they counter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #887
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
By no means do I think one player can get us the 3 points, but one player does have the ability to at least create chances. We have zero creativity.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #888
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
By no means do I think one player can get us the 3 points, but one player does have the ability to at least create chances. We have zero creativity.
David Hoilett was creative against Honduras and is a creative player in the championship/premier league, but he hasn't shown up the last 3 games.

Scott Arfield looks pretty creative in the Championship.

Other than those two, we don't have a player who has the ability to create chances.

Creating chances in Central America is also a lot different than on a nice cool day in England.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #889
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
How do you think the team would have looked with a player like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski or Suarez?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #890
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
How do you think the team would have looked with a player like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski or Suarez?
About the same as any one player trying to take on four defenders all game.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #891
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
About the same as any one player trying to take on four defenders all game.
So effective....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #892
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Look at Arsenal to see what happens when you have an amazing creative player (Özil) but lack the finishers to put away the chances created.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #893
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd rather finish one out of 10 chances than 0 out of 0.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #894
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Jonathan De Guzman would have been a great player for Canada. A midfield linkup player who attacks.

Having said that, lots of times guys like Hutchinson and Arfield would have the ball, look for the wingback to make the run forward into the open space, and no one would make the run. So he had no one to pass to and was just stuck.

One player can't fix that type of mess.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #895
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think anyone is arguing that one player could "fix" the national team, but I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that if you were to add one of Messi/Ronaldo/Lewandowski etc., it could potentially catapult team Canada to a world ranking above 50. Heck even a player like Hargreaves could have single-handedly improved this team dramatically.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #896
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm listening to the Burnley-QPR match at the moment, and three Canadians are playing in this one: Hoilett & Petrasso for QPR, and Arfield for Burnley.

The commentators seem to think that Petrasso is the best man on the pitch at half time.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #897
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm listening to the Burnley-QPR match at the moment, and three Canadians are playing in this one: Hoilett & Petrasso for QPR, and Arfield for Burnley.

The commentators seem to think that Petrasso is the best man on the pitch at half time.
Petrasso started a few games early in the season, but JFH hasn't given him a chance to play since he took over....until today.

Petrasso is always the best player on the field for our your national teams: fast, good dribbling, takes players on. I think he could be a starter in MLS.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #898
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious to see whether Petrasso finally breaks through to QPR's first team next year on a more regular basis. IMO he's too talented for MLS, not to mention he left the TFC Academy in 2011 along with Keven Aleman and Dylan Carreiro when they were forced to commit to the academy by Aron Winter. He's probably making much more $ in the Championship as well.

Meanwhile, Scotty Arfield will be playing in the Premier League next year with Burnley. Also, Hoilett is on his way out at QPR. There was a rumour a few weeks ago that he was looking to join up with Atiba Hutchinson at Besiktas.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #899
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
IMO he's too talented for MLS, not to mention he left the TFC Academy in 2011 along with Keven Aleman and Dylan Carreiro when they were forced to commit to the academy by Aron Winter. He's probably making much more $ in the Championship as well.
In terms of player development, I think the Championship is one of the best leagues in which to play. Both the skill level and intensity is high and there is a good variety of footballing styles. It's a great destination for younger players as they are also likely to get first team playing time.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #900
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized that Canada is playing their friendly vs. Azerbaijan today. Live on YouTube. Catch the last 30 minutes if you're able:

Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote