Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #881
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My thought are with you and everybody else that has to go / gone through this. Difficult times.

I still tear up when I think of the two friends I have lost.
Miss you Max.
Miss you Cedric.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #882
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for Jake's passing. I'm sure he appreciated all you gave him.

I hate coming in here. Can't stand the thought of losing my buddy.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #883
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 12 year old German Shep is battling degenerative myleopathy and I'm really struggling with what I think is the hardest decision of my life..and i'm constantly pressured by a roommate to put her down, so I have zero support. how the hell did you guys deal with this decision?

she is still sharp as a tack, awesome appetite and still overall happy and its not a painful condition. has good days and bad but poops in her sleep and a turd here and there in the house daily and has to drag her ass in evenings as she can't stand up

Old 01-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #884
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
My 12 year old German Shep is battling degenerative myleopathy and I'm really struggling with what I think is the hardest decision of my life..and i'm constantly pressured by a roommate to put her down, so I have zero support. how the hell did you guys deal with this decision?

she is still sharp as a tack, awesome appetite and still overall happy and its not a painful condition. has good days and bad but poops in her sleep and a turd here and there in the house daily and has to drag her ass in evenings as she can't stand up
Beautiful girl... You are in a tough spot right now and I feel your pain. Been there before and it was absolutely the hardest thing I had to go through in my life - the decision was so obvious and yet it crippled me.

You will know when the time is right, not your roommate. The time will be right not when you are ready, but when your pooch is. You know her better than anyone - don't have someone else tell you when that is. In the meantime your roommate needs to take a few steps back and appreciate how difficult this is on you both. They might think they are helping, they might think they are making the decision for you, but it is not their place and a gentle reminder should be enough to communicate this.

Prepare yourself. As hard as it might seem now, it will be harder. But know that in time the good memories will surface and you will know that you gave her the best life you could have as well as the best transition. She will be at rest when the time comes, and you will recover. You will never stop missing her, but that doesn't mean the pain won't subside.

Chin up! We are here for you.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to something For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #885
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriends old dog, Frank was 20, senile as hell, half blind and had to be diapered as he had little bladder control, whether that was due to him not knowing where he was or not able to hold it we couldn't tell, but he wasn't in pain, he seemed happy, he enjoyed his food even went for the odd walk.

My girlfriend was so guilty about him peeing on the floor as dog diapers are not exactly stellar designs and so was always asking if we should put him down, I wouldn't put a dog down for peeing on the floor though, as I said to my foster kids 'that'll be me in a few years time and I'm not setting any precedents!' they liked that and I think my kids, who were a bit 'broken' and not perfect themselves liked that I gave a crap about a dog that was a bit broken and not perfect.

Eventually though Frank started to make random yelps and was clearly in pain, at that point I let my girlfriend know it was time, ironically she was the one distraught and in tears, I grew up with a farmers attitude to dogs and so just figured it was his time and we'd given him a good life.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #886
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sorry to hear FG. She's a beauty. It is extremely hard to say goodbye, you will know when the time is right.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #887
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks guys, It's very close but she's not quite ready yet. She has a doggy wheelchair which she had no problem using the first time, might be trying it inside now. The roommate lives in the basement and only helps out every other weekend, i'll never understand the reasoning that a dog should be put down just because of some poop, she's a living soul and life is worth more than an inconvenience.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #888
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey FG, that is what my dog had and we made the decision when he couldn't get up to go for a walk which he loved. It is all about quality of life.

It was the hardest decision I have ever made. Everyday it gets easier.

As hard as it is to say it is better for the dog to make the decision a day too earlier than a day too late
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #889
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

FG, we're not far off with one of our little guys. Sharp as a tack but the back end is becoming paralyzed. I can relate very closely to your situation.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #890
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the support guys!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #891
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Such a tough call.

I have a senior dog now and I dread the day. A few years ago I had to put down his "brother" (not biological), a 15 year old lab cross. Tore my heart apart and after it was done I had to admit to myself that I hung on to him a little too long, with the best of intentions. I swore to this one I would make a better decision if the same thing has to be done for him.

Certainly not trying to push you towards that, but I've told others too, don't hang on to the point that you'll feel guilty. Really consider who you are hanging onto them for, them or you. If they are still happy and enjoying a quality of life, then age is just a number!

Sadly there is no right answer and either way you'll likely question it later. Just do what you have to with the best of intentions and be prepared to defend your decision to yourself later.

Last edited by schteve_d; 01-30-2017 at 11:01 PM.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #892
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Such a tough call.

I have a senior dog now and I dread the day. A few years ago I had to put down his "brother" (not biological), a 15 year old lab cross. Tore my heart apart and after it was done I had to admit to myself that I hung on to him a little too long, with the best of intentions. I swore to this one I would make a better decision if the same thing has to be done for him.

Certainly not trying to push you towards that, but I've told others too, don't hang on to the point that you'll feel guilty. Really consider who you are hanging onto them for, them or you. If they are still happy and enjoying a quality of life, then age is just a number!

Sadly there is no right answer and either way you'll likely question it later. Just do what you have to with the best of intentions and be prepared to defend your decision to yourself later.
Thanks for the post, it's so hard because somedays she can walk all day and some days she's dragging her ass by the afternoon, I guess when her bad days start to out number her good days I will have to do it. I'm waiting on a new Harrnes so my aide can hold her back end up to walk her, I want her to at least have some good outings before she goes

Last edited by Flames_Gimp; 02-14-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #893
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's also nothing wrong with giving your dog aspirin for pain. I was giving the labX half in the morning and half in the evening, hidden in a chunk of fine liver sausage - it was the only thing he wouldn't find it in! It did help him. It can be hard on their liver, but at 15 years old I wasn't worried about his long-term health and wanted him to be as comfortable as possible. He was on the aspirin for at least a year and a half.

From what I understand though, aspirin only, not tylenol or advil, etc.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #894
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

well she has gone downhill the past week, it might be time, has anyone used vetstogo for euthanasia? Just wondering what the fee is?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #895
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sorry to hear that Gimp.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #896
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well she has gone downhill the past week, it might be time, has anyone used vetstogo for euthanasia? Just wondering what the fee is?

sorry, bear up as best you can, be effed up if you need to
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #897
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry to hear this, FG. My thoughts are with you. What a beautiful dog.

As the owner of an 8 year old German Shepherd female who has already had one major back surgery and has her struggles, this hits very close to home.

Can't help you with info on vetstogo, as we used the C.A.R.E. Centre Animal Hospital in Heritage Meadows the last time we had to go through this.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #898
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know the cost but I have heard exceptionally great things about VetsToGo.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #899
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, I will recommend Vetstogo and especially Dr Wendy. I can't comment on the fee because my wife paid it haha.

The overriding factor for us was our old Pug got more scared of the vet's office as he aged, so we didn't want to stress him out any further. So, bringing the vet to us was the proper choice.

She was very compassionate and will talk you through the entire procedure. They will also set up the cremation if you want.

I am sorry to read about your dog, Gimp. It's never an easy decision, but it is often the correct decision.

Regards,
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #900
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing my vet did, that I am happy to have, was to take a paw print on a mini canvas. I was super happy to get it, becuase I wasn't around when she had to be put down and it's nice to have a little something around. It's something you could do yourself before.

It's kinda like this, but nicer:
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: