Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 02:33 PM   #8961
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
As far as entertainment goes, I wouldn't trade where we are today for the past, though. TV has become infinitely better. There are so many insanely awesome TV shows that are better than any movie.
This is on point.

There are very few shows from the 70's, 80's, 90's and some of the 00's that hold true.

Most are enjoyed for nostalgia, but the list of quality TV from those periods is slim indeed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #8962
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is just a typical gumshoe neo-noir film, but it stands out as a masterpiece the way it blends quality production, sets, costumes, tempo, nostalgia.

Some of the jokes are hilarious, and there is no way they'd make it into a PG film with Disney icons today. "Patty cake, patty cake, PATTY CAKE! PAAAATTTTY CAKE!!!!" C'mon. The way they made a kids movie that appealed to adults was rather novel in the late 80s, but has evolved into a finely-tuned standard practice corporate formula today.

Even the more subdued humour is absurdist and pretty funny, from the notion no toon could resist finishing "shave and a hair cut . . ." to the drink the drink scene between Roger and Valiant.

It's one of my favourite films, yet one I wouldn't want to watch too often.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:08 PM   #8963
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is on point.

There are very few shows from the 70's, 80's, 90's and some of the 00's that hold true.

Most are enjoyed for nostalgia, but the list of quality TV from those periods is slim indeed.
Aside from Webster, I actually can't think of any that hold up.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:18 PM   #8964
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aside from Webster, I actually can't think of any that hold up.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:47 PM   #8965
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Good lord you racist mother trucker.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:54 PM   #8966
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Arnold wearing a shirt featuring a Flames’ player? I recall Conrad Bain is from Calgary originally.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:07 PM   #8967
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good lord you racist mother trucker.

The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #8968
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is just a typical gumshoe neo-noir film, but it stands out as a masterpiece the way it blends quality production, sets, costumes, tempo, nostalgia.

Some of the jokes are hilarious, and there is no way they'd make it into a PG film with Disney icons today. "Patty cake, patty cake, PATTY CAKE! PAAAATTTTY CAKE!!!!" C'mon. The way they made a kids movie that appealed to adults was rather novel in the late 80s, but has evolved into a finely-tuned standard practice corporate formula today.

Even the more subdued humour is absurdist and pretty funny, from the notion no toon could resist finishing "shave and a hair cut . . ." to the drink the drink scene between Roger and Valiant.

Judge Doom is still bloody terrifying.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:42 PM   #8969
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

I’m not gonna lie Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Secret of Nyhm both terrified me as a child.

Only when I got older did I better appreciate how brilliant they both were. Permanent childhood mental scarring notwithstanding.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #8970
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recommend (or don't) a movie thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m not gonna lie Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Secret of Nyhm both terrified me as a child.

Only when I got older did I better appreciate how brilliant they both were. Permanent childhood mental scarring notwithstanding.

We watched Watership Down after reading the book in elementary school. I remember the movie being horrifying. I think the animation was off putting.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:03 PM   #8971
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've gone off on this rant before, the best film being done craps all over TV from a great height, it's not comparable.

Television gets no respect from me, TV shows were written to fill the space between commercials, and it still shows. Cliffhangers, meandering storylines, multiple writers coming and going, no cohesion, no overall plan or vision. Stories get pieced together after it's picked up for another season, etc.

Then there are the 60 hour total runtimes, bloated storylines. Who has time for that?

Yeah, yeah, some shows are not like that and actually really good. Sure, go ahead and watch those but don't try to pretend they're better than what the best of film has to offer.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:00 PM   #8972
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an interesting discussion, but where I feel TV has stepped up its game in the last 20-ish years is when the movie world stopped making that low-mid budget drama, TV filled that gap. That mixed with the longer format has produced some incredible shows.

Of course, like movies, it's produced some absolute trash too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #8973
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Recommend (or don't) a movie thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We watched Watership Down after reading the book in elementary school. I remember the movie being horrifying. I think the animation was off putting.

I was pretty young when we went to a double feature of Lord of The Rings and Watership Down for a friends birthday party. Pretty terrifying afternoon and the worst party ever.Those were not meant for children.

Second worst Birthday Party movie, Chariots of Fire. Bunch of young kids expecting some sort of Gladiator type movie… fack you buddy, I’m taking back your present.

Last edited by Brendone; 05-01-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #8974
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I rewatched The Zone of Interest after several months.

Man, what a rough movie packaged in such an idyllic setting. It's actually sickening and such a well done movie.

i was surprised at the ending originally, which felt abrupt and not what i expected. But watching again, i got such a better sense of the filmography, sound, and the realism of the film.

Having such a "casual" take on the holocaust is so uncomforting and eerie.

The banality of the family’s life, the corporate nature of the genocide ‘business’, the unspoken horror of the grandmother….offset by the killer soundtrack. It’s one haunting movie.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 08:20 PM   #8975
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Add in the Neverending story. The Nothing and the Wolf protector creature was pretty scary, but the scene where Artax dies in the swamp absolutely scarred me.

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 08:21 PM   #8976
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Add in the Neverending story. The Nothing and the Wolf protector creature was pretty scary, but the scene where Artax dies in the swamp absolutely scarred me.

It scarred us all. And I dont even like horses.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #8977
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of scarring young children, we have tried to do a weekly family movie night, and my wife and I are revisiting some old classics.

We watched Honey, I Shrunk The Kids the other night. My recollection of it was something that was pretty tame. Fun adventures of kids that were shrunk and had to get back home through their back yard.

Much to my surprise, there was a scene that both terrified and permanently scarred my son involving a scorpion killing an ant (a baby ant at that). He was sobbing, screaming "I don't like this, I don't like this!" The sick #### that I am, I was chuckling a little to myself while trying to seem concerned about him. I couldn't convince him of how unreal it was despite the ridiculous Harryhausen claymation.

Skip to 1:50 for the good stuff.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 08:36 PM   #8978
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's not forget the scene where Johnny 5 gets the #### kicked out of him by those guys with axes. It still bothers me and I haven't seen the movie in ~35 years.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:13 PM   #8979
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's not forget the scene where Johnny 5 gets the #### kicked out of him by those guys with axes. It still bothers me and I haven't seen the movie in ~35 years.
Oh god yeah! Oh man...that was brutal!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-01-2024, 09:16 PM   #8980
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

So.

Who here is 'all in' on a Zach Snyder dark and gritty Remake of The Neverending Story?

Atreyu is going to have a bad time and Fantasia is completely boned.