Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2023, 08:09 AM   #8921
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I just wasn't sure if I should be worried, because that happens to be my birthday, lol.
Haha! I Googled it after, and see you share a birthday with Robert E. Lee and it is Confederate Memorial Day. So congrats on that one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:19 AM   #8922
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Haha! I Googled it after, and see you share a birthday with Robert E. Lee and it is Confederate Memorial Day. So congrats on that one.
I prefer to focus on Edgar Allan Poe and Dolly Parton, but I suppose you can't be too picky!

I'm not all up in arms about this policy. It's a little weird and I'm not entirely sure how well it works, but whatever. I just think that you have a government that's obviously teetering with obvious places you should be hammering. Why the decision is made to rollout things like this is just beyond me.

And yeah, everyone else "at home" is celebrating the Jewish high holidays (for example) and you have to be at work. That kind of thing would suck for sure. I'm just not sure from a practical point of view how easy this is for most organizations to implement. For me, a lot of what I do is dictated by when the stock exchanges are open. Sometimes that means that in Canada we have some days off that they don't have in the US, and that sucks. Last year (2021) I think Boxing Day the US market was open and the way New Years fell the US market was open when Canada was closed. So...you kind of end up working those days or at least parts of the day. It's different for every industry and sector, of course. I'm not saying this is a brutal policy, just that it might create some issues.

And the idea of swapping is bizarre. Like how would I swap say Christmas for another religious holiday during the year? Everything is closed on Christmas...so I mean I can't just open "just to be open"?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #8923
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also looks like it is national gun appreciation day in the US. If any day deserves a stat in the US it is that day.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #8924
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Also looks like it is national gun appreciation day in the US. If any day deserves a stat in the US it is that day.
Isn't that every day?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:10 AM   #8925
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

It very much makes sense to announce this yesterday. Today is the first day of Eid.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 09:24 AM   #8926
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The NDP attack ads against Smith's own words are hilarious. There's so much actual audio/video content of Smith's asinine statements...it's like too easy.

And then there's the UCP ads with Smith saying, "you won't have to ever pay for a Dr visit, I swear! Pinky promise! NDP lie! Don't quote my own words!"
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #8927
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Voting ucp probably lets you keep more of your own money. That probably is all a lot of people care about when it comes to voting. Life hasn’t changed for your average O&G worker in the last 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Citation needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m not quoting fact I’m guessing at what those people are likely thinking.
I think it's probably a fair statement if you change the word "you" out for "corporation". Any personal savings would likely be short term and fleeting due to increase personal costs and user fees, while many corporations don't have personal living expenses.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:36 PM   #8928
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1649098235150233601

What are they doing? I’m fine with this and all (though it does sound chaotic), but seriously this is the kind of issue they’re taking a stand on?
It's actually a stupid thing to make a stand on, because all religious and cultural holidays are inventions of people, and when somebody wants to own the new dews, they will go fishing for the most obscure example of accidental hypocrisy they can find. Conflate with this marching around the states with a polo shirt and tiki torch, then say "both sides, many sides"

Some times the best thing is just to do the right thing and keep your mouth shut about it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:13 PM   #8929
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1649098235150233601

What are they doing? I’m fine with this and all (though it does sound chaotic), but seriously this is the kind of issue they’re taking a stand on?
I enjoy the occasional long weekend like most people but I'd almost rather just be given 10 extra vacation days in lieu of the fixed stats.

Shifting stats has the advantage of potentially being able to travel on a less busy/less expensive weekend. Like instead of trying to secure a campsite for Canada Day or August long along with everyone else I could take the next Friday or Monday off and potentially have an easier time booking something.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:26 AM   #8930
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NDP’s Rachel Notley targets radical Take Back Alberta group taking over the United Conservative Party:

https://albertapolitics.ca/2023/04/n...rvative-party/
Faust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #8931
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Judge orders election commissioner to reconsider $70k fine against 'kamikaze' UCP leadership candidate Jeff Callaway:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-jeff-callaway
Faust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #8932
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It's actually a stupid thing to make a stand on, because all religious and cultural holidays are inventions of people, and when somebody wants to own the new dews, they will go fishing for the most obscure example of accidental hypocrisy they can find. Conflate with this marching around the states with a polo shirt and tiki torch, then say "both sides, many sides"

Some times the best thing is just to do the right thing and keep your mouth shut about it.
Interestingly, it's something that seems to come out in the wash. If you check the tweet thread, the UCP response was to say they reached that conclusion first:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1649128437351608320
Old 04-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #8933
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Judge orders election commissioner to reconsider $70k fine against 'kamikaze' UCP leadership candidate Jeff Callaway:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-jeff-callaway
What the hell? If we don't have reasonable fines for subverting our democracy, why even bother? Just let them all buy their way to the top.

Quote:
Ashcroft did, however, find fault with how the commissioner assessed the $70,000 fine imposed on Callaway, saying the commission failed to explain how it concluded there were no mitigating factors supporting a smaller fine.
(This) reflects a palpable and overriding error,” Ashcroft wrote. “Further, the commissioner’s failure to consider the large cumulative amount (of the fine) and whether it was consistent with the purposes of the legislation, including deterrence, also reflects palpable and overriding error.”
How about the mitigating factor that these ####ing pieces of #### have no concern for following the rule of law? And if he is guilty, how is Kenney still walking around? This stuff is so infuriating.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #8934
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
My line of thought is that everything costs more since the Federal Liberals took power.
Fixed.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #8935
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What the hell? If we don't have reasonable fines for subverting our democracy, why even bother? Just let them all buy their way to the top.

How about the mitigating factor that these ####ing pieces of #### have no concern for following the rule of law? And if he is guilty, how is Kenney still walking around? This stuff is so infuriating.
because of hardship.... lol

I hope the Commissioner increases the fine to $100k after this. Don't worry Kenny will make you whole!
Old 04-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #8936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1649831322909589504
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #8937
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wished they’d segregate out Danielle Smith from UCP. I think that those who just dislike smith are more likely to backslide.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:32 PM   #8938
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1649516168095358980

Up hill slope for NDP.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:06 PM   #8939
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

That is an odd tweet, because I’m not sure what is “updated” about the model. The most recent data is still the Leger poll from March 26th, showing the NDP ahead by 3 points. Poll aggregators are useful, but I feel like we are working with some very old data here overall.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #8940
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Also, if you look at a projection that shows an 18 seat loss for your party, and your conclusion is it’s an “uphill slope” for the OTHER party, then… you may be a partisan. Just saying.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote