Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #861
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the second time in the recent few weeks that Nenshi is showing his intolerant side. First one was his sister's attack on Chris Harper. This is worrisome. This is how personality cults are born.

I never liked Levant's irritating public persona but, in all honesty, I don't see how Levant's questions are petty or theatrical. Fairly straightforward questions that Nenshi should have been able to answer quickly and effectively. Instead, he is being aggressively evasive suggesting that he needs time for a comeback.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-argument.html
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #862
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You don't think asking someone when he quit beating his wife on a public forum like twitter isn't something that he should apologize for? Come on Slava, if the shoe was on the other foot you'd be demanding a public flogging and apology.

Shouldn't we expect more from our mayor then childish rants and completely off side bursts of spazziness.
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, you're an idiot. He has nothing to apologize for, that is an accepted answer to loaded questions, which actually had been in used in a US debate going back to the 80's. Nenshi should clarify the response to those not familiar with it, and probably should have refrained from using it in the first place because of the controversial nature of it. Having said that, Ezra is a total hack journalist, (i use the term journalist loosely here) and completely knows what a loaded question is, and Nenshi ended up feeding a twitter troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question
read the 1st paragraph, that's not a coincidence.

WOW cc, i hadn't seen your response to "down in flames" when i wrote this. i didn't even need to call you an idiot, your words more than speak for themself.

Last edited by smoothpops; 09-08-2013 at 04:39 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #863
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ thanked despite the 'you're an idiot' part...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #864
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fundamental rule of any civilized debate - if in disagreement, attack an opinion, not a person expressing it. Those resorting to insults are unworthy of any further notice. Boo!
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #865
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, you're an idiot. He has nothing to apologize for, that is an accepted answer to loaded questions, which actually had been in used in a US debate going back to the 80's. Nenshi should clarify the response to those not familiar with it, and probably should have refrained from using it in the first place because of the controversial nature of it. Having said that, Ezra is a total hack journalist, (i use the term journalist loosely here) and completely knows what a loaded question is, and Nenshi ended up feeding a twitter troll.

WOW cc, i hadn't seen your response to "down in flames" when i wrote this. i didn't even need to call you an idiot, your words more than speak for themself.
You're calling me an idiot, I would find it insulting if it didn't come from a semi ######ed response like yours.

Fine whatever

At least I don't throw personal insults around, way to go

Jacka$$

My point stands. This isn't a law school dormitory, this is a mayor that is suppossed to represent our city and his office on a professional level, and he completely failed to do so. and I don't give two craps if its a supposed acceptable argument point or question. As for the whole Levant thing, you can say what you want, I would probably agree, the guy is over the top and grating, but he is asking legitimate questions that probably should be answered, and that makes it valid journalism.

To me Nenshi's blast is unprofessional and using the beat your wife thing is completely unprofessional. But then again the big weakness of Nenshi is that his ego is bigger then his common sense at time.

As for you, smoothpops. I'm just using jacka$$ as an acceptable debating tactic.

As well as the term moron and goof.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-08-2013 at 04:58 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #866
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post

You know what if you don't like what I've said and what I've said in the past based on your time and time again statement then please put me on your ignore list. You're a waste of my time.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #867
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for the whole Levant thing, you can say what you want, I would probably agree, the guy is over the top and grating, but he is asking legitimate questions that probably should be answered, and that makes it valid journalism.
Ezra Levant is like our Glenn Beck. "Valid journalism" and "Ezra Levant" don't belong in the same sentence.

I mean, Ezra Levant hates smurfs... or does he?

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #868
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know he did do an outstanding job on the Spence stuff. He's asking valid questions here. I don't particularly like the guy for the for the most part, but I don't dismiss information sources completely because of personality.

The question here, is he lying on the Pembina stuff, or are these questions that deserve a response from our mayor.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #869
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people suggesting the Mayor hasn't responded to the Pembina question? It was a Canadian Taxpayer Federation assertion - the Mayor responded to the substance of the objection to several media. I was standing next to him when he was talking to QR about it earlier this week.

Also I don't see what's "unprofessional" about calling out someone, especially Levant, on their tactics and usually specious assertions. That's what the Twitter exchange was. On the loaded question reference - just because someone doesn't understand the reference, it doesn't make it actually offensive.

Last edited by Bunk; 09-08-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #870
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dp
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #871
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wouldn't expect you to say anything else Bunk.

I've said my peace.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #872
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...12-084946.html

Quote:
SIMON KENT | QMI AGENCY
TORONTO - Have you stopped beating your wife yet? Well, have you?It's the impossible loaded question. Ambiguous and based on an assumed fallacy, to answer either yes or no is to incriminate the respondent into admitting a heinous act.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #873
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Why are people suggesting the Mayor hasn't responded to the Pembina question? It was a Canadian Taxpayer Federation assertion - the Mayor responded to the substance of the objection to several media. I was standing next to him when he was talking to QR about it earlier this week.

Also I don't see what's "unprofessional" about calling out someone, especially Levant, on their tactics and usually specious assertions. That's what the Twitter exchange was. On the loaded question reference - just because someone doesn't understand the reference, it doesn't make it actually offensive.
He hasnt answered what, if any, contribution to his campaign from te pembina institute or its employees. Given their lobbying and advocacy arm, it is a fair question. For the mayor openly attack manning institute candidates and demand to know where people sit, it is a fair question.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #874
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You know what if you don't like what I've said and what I've said in the past based on your time and time again statement then please put me on your ignore list. You're a waste of my time.
Block you? Never!! Where else would i get this feeling of intellectual superioirity? just kidding!

My apologies for calling you an idiot. That was a low blow. Won't happen again. In my (weak) defense, that's pretty much the goal of internet trolls, like levant.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #875
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No problem, I apologize for the name calling on my side. I'm pretty short fused lately.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #876
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd make a joke about making sure not to beat your wife, but ironically enough, it would be wildly inappropriate
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #877
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
He hasnt answered what, if any, contribution to his campaign from te pembina institute or its employees. Given their lobbying and advocacy arm, it is a fair question. For the mayor openly attack manning institute candidates and demand to know where people sit, it is a fair question.
The bigger one is the composition of the people that are being used from Pembina. After Nenshi snorted about the scientific component of someone like the Frasier institute. The bills seem to be paying for a lot of marketing consultants, communication consultants and pitch experts and not towards anything to do with environmental studies like it was first indicated. My first suspicion is that there is an election coming up, and this sure sounds like a marketing push.

Pembina is a lobby group. I don't think I like the idea of using a lobby group as a governmental consulting group.

Why does the city need more outside marketing consultants. They should have that handled internally and cheaper.

As far as the beat your wife thing. I've never used it in a debate. I've never heard it used in a debate. I think the mayor came off unprofessionally using it.

If we're going to praise the mayor for his actions, we also owe it to question the mayor as well.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #878
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The "When did you stop beating your wife?" was recently famously used by NBA Commissioner David Stern on Jim Rome's show a few months back when given a similar impossible question by Rome. It really has nothing to do with wife-beating.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #879
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I'll agree that Nenshi should have chose better words, I don't think the outrage is warranted. On a scale of 1 to "our mayor probably smokes crack" - this is probably a 3 or 4.

He should have said "Have you stopped eating dog poo?"
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #880
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
This is the second time in the recent few weeks that Nenshi is showing his intolerant side. First one was his sister's attack on Chris Harper. This is worrisome. This is how personality cults are born.
Nenshi has been like this at least since his University of Calgary days. Its part of his charm in some respects, he's smart and knows how to play to his strengths in debating, but also tends to have very thin skin when he gets put on the defensive.

That being said, Ezra Levant is a professional agitator (among many other more choice descriptions) and Nenshi had it absolutely right when Ezra started playing the role of someone who was deeply offended. There is no doubt Ezra knew the reference.

Nenshi's kind of Trudeau like with his temper, though he tends to look much more juvenile when showing it.

And yeah, Nenshi knows full well the answer about Pembina would make him look like a hypocrite given him going after others in the same manner. Nenshi needs to be more careful these days for his image, but there's no way he's losing this election.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple