Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #8721
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize in the grand scheme of things this is inconsequential, but considering he so badly wanted to see Obama's birth certificate, and consider he still hasn't proven he can spell at a fourth grade level, we should be demanding proof that he got his grade four.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 09-01-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #8722
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I realize in the grand scheme of things this is inconsequential, but considering he so badly wanted to see Obama's birth certificate, and consider he still hasn't proven he can spell at a fourth grade level, we should be demanding proof that he got his grade four.

Quote:
heel1
hēl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: heeling
fit or renew a heel on (a shoe or boot).
(of a dog) follow closely behind its owner
every once in a while the plan sneaks out.....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #8723
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, during a disaster like this, why not talk about what Fox news said about Hillary this morning.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account
#@realDonaldTrump 1h
1 hour ago

Wow, looks like James Comey exonerated Hillary Clinton long before the investigation was over...and so much more. A rigged system!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #8724
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

the Art of the Deal

Old 09-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #8725
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
No, it's generally the opposite of that. Gerrymandering is designed to maximize your side's vote efficiency and minimize your opponent's vote efficiency.

This NC diagram provides a decent visualization of this: notice how of the many Republican seats, the victory margins are relatively small compared to the Democrat seats. Republicans allow the Dems to have landslide victories in three districts, while giving themselves comparatively narrow wins in 10. But all but a couple of those districts would be at risk in a wave election. Whereas a non-gerrymandered approach would give the Republicans at least 1 fewer seat right now, but also give them a couple more wave-proof seats.

Spoiler!

This actually argues against your point. According to the charts a huge number of democratic votes are concentrated in 3 districts so are out of play in the others. If things were more evenly distributed the margins of victory would be even smaller and some additional districts would be lost. This would make the GOP even more at risk in a wave election, not less.
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #8726
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Heeling fast:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #8727
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good tweet response to Fox state media's accusations about Comey that Trump tweeted about (getting his policy from Fox again).

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes
Old 09-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #8728
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

McCain is at it again. This is from an op-ed he just wrote for the Washington Post. Trump Twitter meltdown in 3...2...1...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.be5d9270818c

Quote:
Congress must govern with a president who has no experience of public office, is often poorly informed and can be impulsive in his speech and conduct.

We must respect his authority and constitutional responsibilities. We must, where we can, cooperate with him. But we are not his subordinates. We don’t answer to him. We answer to the American people. We must be diligent in discharging our responsibility to serve as a check on his power. And we should value our identity as members of Congress more than our partisan affiliation.
Quote:
The president has promised greater border security. We can agree to that. A literal wall might not be the most effective means to that end, but we can provide the resources necessary to secure the border with smart and affordable measures.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #8729
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Friend of mine is at a naturalization ceremony today in California and the video they played before the ceremony a welcoming for our new Americans from President Barack Obama. Apparently Trump hasn't yet recorded a similar video.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #8730
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
McCain is at it again. This is from an op-ed he just wrote for the Washington Post. Trump Twitter meltdown in 3...2...1...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.be5d9270818c
How is Trump going to see something written in the Washington Post?
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #8731
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Friend of mine is at a naturalization ceremony today in California and the video they played before the ceremony a welcoming for our new Americans from President Barack Obama. Apparently Trump hasn't yet recorded a similar video.
My guess is Trump chose to prioritize the filming of the deportation video.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #8732
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How is Trump going to see something written in the Washington Post?
Trump has someone read the Washington Post and failing New York Times every day just to see what they're saying about him.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #8733
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this should be interesting.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/0...ng-letter.html

Quote:
The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has obtained a letter that President Trump and a top political aide drafted in the days before Mr. Trump fired the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, which explains the president’s rationale for why he planned to dismiss the director.

The May letter had been met with opposition from Donald F. McGahn II, the White House counsel, who believed that some of its contents were problematic, according to interviews with a dozen administration officials and others briefed on the matter.

Mr. McGahn successfully blocked the president from sending Mr. Comey the letter, which Mr. Trump had composed with Stephen Miller, one of the president’s top political advisers. A different letter, written by the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, and focused on Mr. Comey’s handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server, was ultimately sent to the F.B.I. director on the day he was fired.
Quote:
The Justice Department turned over a copy of the letter to Mr. Mueller in recent weeks.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #8734
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any guess on a realistic timeline for when we start to see trials (is that even the right word?) for all this stuff? I'm hoping a few months, but I'm dreading it's probably over a year.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #8735
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Any guess on a realistic timeline for when we start to see trials (is that even the right word?) for all this stuff? I'm hoping a few months, but I'm dreading it's probably over a year.
Brace yourself for dread. My guess would be at least a year unless they find a smoking gun. IMO he will be declared mentally unfit and unconditionally pardoned before any trial happens.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #8736
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I don't think Mueller can charge Trump for any actions while carrying out the duty of president. So Mueller can find that Trump obstructed justice but it doesn't matter as the only remedy is impeachment.

For actions during the campaign he can be charged criminally but it is a little unclear if you can actually proceed to Trial against him and whether or not he could just Pardon himself. I believe yes you could prosecute for crimes committed before entering office and yes he could Pardon himself preemptively.

Fornthe undelings the pardoning of Arpio likely sends a signal to shut up and Ill take care of you. So if charges are laid in any of those case Trump has the ability to Pardon any of them.

So in the end you have to hope a Mueller bomb comes out with enough force that the house republicans will move to impeach. But for timing I'd bet before midterms next year
Old 09-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #8737
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Fornthe undelings the pardoning of Arpio likely sends a signal to shut up and Ill take care of you. So if charges are laid in any of those case Trump has the ability to Pardon any of them.

So in the end you have to hope a Mueller bomb comes out with enough force that the house republicans will move to impeach. But for timing I'd bet before midterms next year
While technically true the president can only pardon federal crimes, this is why Mueller working with state AGs is particularly interesting. If individual states brings charges against trump surrogates there's nothing he can do to help them.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #8738
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think Mueller can charge Trump for any actions while carrying out the duty of president. So Mueller can find that Trump obstructed justice but it doesn't matter as the only remedy is impeachment.

For actions during the campaign he can be charged criminally but it is a little unclear if you can actually proceed to Trial against him and whether or not he could just Pardon himself. I believe yes you could prosecute for crimes committed before entering office and yes he could Pardon himself preemptively.

So, forgive my ignorance, what we're looking at here is likely a bunch of Trump campaign staffers being charged with aiding a foreign power in election influences, and because of that Donald Trump could likely be impeached?

I guess my question is, how will this news come to us? Will it be Mueller publicly declaring the charges of these individuals? Will they be called to congressional hearings like the others have been or will they be criminal trials?

I just want the truth so bad!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #8739
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I see the staffers getting charged, Trump pardoning them to keep them quiet and then Trump getting impeached.

In theory an impeachment proceeding in the house and trial in the senate would be public with all the evidence presented but I worry that everything will be classified.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #8740
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah I see the staffers getting charged, Trump pardoning them to keep them quiet and then Trump getting impeached.
A pardon will be useless in Trump protecting himself. The FBI will already have built the case for charges, meaning they will have evidence of wrong doing. With the FBI coordinating with state AGs, the ability to pardon goes out the window as well. The FBI can build the case, share the evidence with the states, files charges at both federal and state level, and watch the dominoes drop. Mueller is building a case that will not only end Trump as President, but end Trump and his businesses. Trump may be able to prevent himself or his cronies from going to prison on federal raps, but they will all have had their assets seized and left flat bust. Then the state will step in and start laying charges and seize what crumbs are left. This is going to be entertaining to watch unfold.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms