Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #801
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun night! Cavs had a decent showing. Solid nights for lots of players. Brooks is improving with every outing out there.

Missed Musse out there though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:15 PM   #802
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Calgary's women's professional team will be announced May 30.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6tubxkJUPW/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:24 PM   #803
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cavs are playing an away game against Vancouver in Kelowna on June 16. Kelowna doesn't really have a workable soccer stadium here so this will be fairly makeshift at the Apple Bowl but hopefully there's a decent turnout. Surprised this is happening with just 5 weeks notice... wondering if Vancouver FC is thinking about moving from Langley on the fly.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:39 PM   #804
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is just more of a series that the CPL is doing across Canada. While this is a litmus test for Kelowna, they’ll likely do games in other cities to test the markets. Also gets new exposure to the CPL. I can see them doing these games in Saskatoon, Regina, Kitchener, Windsor, Laval and Quebec City.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:55 PM   #805
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

CS St Laurent is holding their own against TFC so far. Looks like a superb atmosphere
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:39 PM   #806
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I think this is just more of a series that the CPL is doing across Canada. While this is a litmus test for Kelowna, they’ll likely do games in other cities to test the markets. Also gets new exposure to the CPL. I can see them doing these games in Saskatoon, Regina, Kitchener, Windsor, Laval and Quebec City.

Have no doubt it was planned eventually but rolling it out on 5 weeks notice seems a bit wild. Season ticket holders in langley seem pissed and gonna be tough for soccer community to get organized in kelowna to the same extent they could have if it was announced pre season like most leagues do
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:04 PM   #807
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

CS Laurent was robbed on TFCs second goal. That was a clear hand ball.

Also, fantastic to see the crowd size at that game. Soccer is alive and well in Quebec, CPL take notice.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:34 PM   #808
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The concept of the Vancouver / Cavalry game in Kelowna is great. The execution is terrible.

This is the type of thing you announce in the offseason, not 6 weeks before kickoff, and after having sold tickets to the game in another stadium for months.

If Cavalry were to have a home game every year or two elsewhere in the country, I would be okay with it. Maybe they can host a game in Edmonton show that city what a real club looks like

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:12 PM   #809
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Last night's result does nothing to change the status of a Quebec expansion bid. As with every other market in this country, if there's an ownership group willing to spend the money and a suitable stadium, there will be a club in Quebec. If St Laurent pack Claude-Robillard on Tuesday with 10000 fans then maybe it moves the needle a tiny bit to get someone with money to consider it.

I think expanding into Quebec is the top priority for the league but in the end someone has to put their money where their mouths are. That Qatari rumour was shot down pretty quickly.
So tonight.....may move the needle for someone with the money to do it. 6400 in the stands.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788355447298175014

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788347942320971911

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 09:03 AM   #810
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It does feel like this league is on the cusp of something.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 12:37 PM   #811
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
While this is a litmus test for Kelowna, they’ll likely do games in other cities to test the markets.
I'm not familiar with Kelowna at all. However, I took a look at the city on Google Maps and skimmed their Official Local Plan just like the planning geek that I am. A pop-up/modular stadium would make a fantastic meanwhile use during the initial phases of their Kelowna Mill Site redevelopment...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM   #812
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Victor Loturi is in the preliminary roster for Copa America. Still crazy to me that the 17 year old who was helping us with chants during that first game is at that level now.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...america-squad/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #813
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s really freaking cool

I do have more and more questions about the level of the Scottish leagues and how that translates to the national team but it’s been so cool to see the Calgary kid develop
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #814
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Scotland, there's the Old Firm, and there's everyone else. If you play for Celtic or Rangers, you're in. If you're playing in the Premiership and doing well or getting regular minutes you're on the fringes of a call up. Theo Bair scored 15 this year for Motherwell so he's going to Copa America on form alone.

IMO Scottish Championship is a similar level as CPL.

Loturi is benefitting from the retirement of Hutchinson and the decline of Kaye. He's been in and out of the starting lineup over the last 2 years and probably needs one more year of starting regularly in the Scottish Premiership or a move up in quality to really break into the national team. He should have more caps for Canada but Herdman insisted on playing Bombito (who is having a great season with Colorado at CB and will be at Copa America) out of position at Gold Cup over him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 11:21 AM   #815
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heavy squad rotation with some U-21 minutes as well. Had heard rumours Aird dislocated his shoulder Tuesday so to see him on the bench is good. Good options off the bench as well.

After ####ting on Lucas Dias all year I am curious what he can do after a great cameo on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1789339782675304542

Old 05-11-2024, 11:24 AM   #816
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Heavy squad rotation with some U-21 minutes as well. Had heard rumours Aird dislocated his shoulder Tuesday so to see him on the bench is good. Good options off the bench as well.

After ####ting on Lucas Dias all year I am curious what he can do after a great cameo on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1789339782675304542
I'm glad Kobza is back. Montgomery didn't look ready to be thrown to the wolves against the Whitecaps on Tuesday, but injuries left no choice.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #817
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just said on the broadcast that Aird did dislocate his shoulder Tuesday. Must not be that bad as he's still on the bench....

Old 05-11-2024, 12:34 PM   #818
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry all over Halifax just lacking that killer instinct. Good save from Fillion on Klomp. Akio wasting chance after chance.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:56 PM   #819
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Someone is getting kicked out of the game. There are some dangerous tackles on that pitch today.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 01:54 PM   #820
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Barrett's not inspiring confidence is he?

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer