Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2023, 02:15 PM   #8001
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not like Smith has been exactly restrained on spending. She got an oil windfall, and is spending it like crazy.
At least they'll spend it on things like services and infrastructure versus lining cronies' pockets.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:18 PM   #8002
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
It's not like Smith has been exactly restrained on spending. She got an oil windfall, and is spending it like crazy.
Lol, right? The UCP have the dubious title of highest spending Alberta Government ever and we have countless cases where they've wasted millions or even billions, but somehow the NDP are the fiscally irresponsible boogeyman that are going to spend us into oblivion.

Newsflash folks - the UCP are already doing exactly what you're afraid of the NDP doing. The provinces finance's and program spending have never been more reliant on the price of oil than this Smith budget.

According to Trevor Tombe we now need Oil to be at $75US per barrel to balance the budget. Each $1 change is worth $630M, have you looked at the price of oil today? Cause it's not $75 US.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...2023-1.6764355

Last edited by Torture; 03-30-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #8003
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Honest question, is there objective evidence that confirms that the NDP were worse than the UCP at managing finances? I know there's the examples like the light bulbs (vs. the pipeline to nowhere) but overall, I'd like to know whether in their one term, were they objectively and significantly worse at it than their counterparts have been?

Part of what makes me ask this is that the perception in the U.S. is that the Replublicans are better financial stewards yet there have been many studies that show that Democratic administrations have been better; yet the perception remains.
No, and even if there was, you're not allowed to ask for it. Don't you remember the last time someone asked for actual evidence to back up such a claim?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #8004
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Lol, right? The UCP have the dubious title of highest spending Alberta Government ever and we have countless cases where they've wasted millions or even billions, but somehow the NDP are the fiscally irresponsible boogeyman that are going to spend us into oblivion.

Newsflash folks - the UCP are already doing exactly what you're afraid of the NDP doing. The provinces finance's and program spending have never been more reliant on the price of oil than this Smith budget.
I was surprised to see the 23-24 budget 9% higher than the 22-23 one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:32 PM   #8005
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
I was surprised to see the 23-24 budget 9% higher than the 22-23 one.
Toews said all the right talking points about fiscal restraint, getting off the rollercoaster, and saving for the future when they rolled out the budget but this budget was not that, and in reality, it was pretty much the exact opposite when you dug past the talking points.
This is a big spending budget reliant on windfall royalties, it was a sharp departure from the fiscal restraint we had seen under the Kenney-led UCP.

Last edited by Torture; 03-30-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:37 PM   #8006
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Toews said all the right talking points about fiscal restraint, getting off the rollercoaster, and saving for the future when they rolled out the budget but this budget was not that, and in reality, it was pretty much the exact opposite when you dug past the talking points.
This is a big spending budget reliant on royalties, and was a sharp departure from the fiscal restraint we had seen under the Kenney-led UCP.
This is a "desperate to buy votes" budget. I bet if we could tell the future, if the UCP is still in power in a year, the outcome is going to be a decent sized deficit which they will then use as justification to cut all sorts of things in the following budget. Basically, for those not really following along, this is a ####ing trap. The worse the deficit looks next year, the better to support their Libertarian ideology. Hell, they won't even wait a year. You can expect a mid year budget update that shows just how dire things are, so they can get to work cutting and privatizing quickly. Nervous yet?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #8007
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Lol. Actual imprecise speaking:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1641516170284244992
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #8008
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
This is a "desperate to buy votes" budget. I bet if we could tell the future, if the UCP is still in power in a year, the outcome is going to be a decent sized deficit which they will then use as justification to cut all sorts of things in the following budget. Basically, for those not really following along, this is a ####ing trap. The worse the deficit looks next year, the better to support their Libertarian ideology. Hell, they won't even wait a year. You can expect a mid year budget update that shows just how dire things are, so they can get to work cutting and privatizing quickly. Nervous yet?
Like I said, we need $75 US Oil to balance the budget they rolled out, a quick google tells me WTI has been under $75 for most of the month of March.

I'm not sure I'd bet the Province's finances on Oil staying at $75 US for the next year but the fiscally responsible UCP already have.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636003646566715392

Last edited by Torture; 03-30-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #8009
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
No, and even if there was, you're not allowed to ask for it. Don't you remember the last time someone asked for actual evidence to back up such a claim?
This is why it's such an uphill battle for the NDP. Conservative voters in this province don't judge a party on what they actually do, they judge them based on perception. NDP = Liberals = Tax & Spend. UCP = Conservatives = Fiscally Prudent. The reality of the UCP wasting billions more dollars than the NDP ever did has no impact, because facts don't matter in politics anymore
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:55 PM   #8010
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Honest question, is there objective evidence that confirms that the NDP were worse than the UCP at managing finances? I know there's the examples like the light bulbs (vs. the pipeline to nowhere) but overall, I'd like to know whether in their one term, were they objectively and significantly worse at it than their counterparts have been?

Part of what makes me ask this is that the perception in the U.S. is that the Replublicans are better financial stewards yet there have been many studies that show that Democratic administrations have been better; yet the perception remains.
There were some graphs published a few weeks ago, there is probably a link somewhere in this thread. Diving into the data and taking into account oil price they showed that the last 2 years of the NDP term they actually did OK financially, deficits were on a positive trajectory, then got worse when the UCP took power (even before Covid).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 03:10 PM   #8011
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, we need $75 US Oil to balance the budget they rolled out, a quick google tells me WTI has been under $75 for most of the month of March.

I'm not sure I'd bet the Province's finances on Oil staying at $75 US for the next year but the fiscally responsible UCP already have.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636003646566715392
Agree with your take on all of this and that generally Alberta (desperately) needs to start moving away from living off royalties and introduce a PST, but I don’t think the budget poured at $75/bbl is terribly unrealistic as an oil price target.

A lot of analysts, banks, etc. are calling for the second half of this year to see escalated pricing.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 03:21 PM   #8012
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the ANDP proposing they will spend on that is outlandish?

It seems like the standard, Education, Healthcare, Social Services, Infrastructure and Economic stimulus.

These are all responsibilities that Canadian provinces have assumed. It doesn't seem above the standard that other legislatures opporate.

Of course if you don't think these are the responsibility of the government you may prefer a party that is looking to privatize these responsibilities.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:26 PM   #8013
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously it's a simple question with a really really complex answer, but the simple answer is no. The NDP were no worse at managing finance.

Vastly oversimplified, total spending trends are no different

How reactive you should be to a revenue decline is a philosophical question with no one right answer.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #8014
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

The NDP had to deal with the fires in Fort McMurray and the collapse of oil prices.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #8015
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danielle Smith is threating the CBC with legal action for reporting her own words . This is despite it being a recording, unaltered, and long so it couldn't be taken out of context. What a fricking clown show.

Quote:
“Later today, in an effort to continue their campaign of defamatory attacks against me, my office staff, Alberta Crown Prosecutors, and the Alberta Public Service, the CBC intends to release an article about a conversation I had with an individual named, Artur Pawlowski,” said the statement from the premier emailed to media first thing yesterday morning and posted on social media, presumably in hopes of getting ahead of the CBC’s report.

Claiming her conversation with Mr. Pawlowski should surprise no one given her publicly stated concerns about COVID-19 public health measures and firmly denying she has ever spoken to anyone specifically from the Crown Prosecution Service, Premier Smith then threatened the CBC.

“Allegations to the contrary are defamatory and will be dealt with accordingly,” she stated.
https://albertapolitics.ca/2023/03/p...minal-charges/

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-30-2023 at 04:20 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:25 PM   #8016
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Danielle Smith is threating the CBC with legal action for reporting her own words . This is despite it being a recording, unaltered, and long so it couldn't be taken out of context. What a fricking clown show.

https://albertapolitics.ca/2023/03/p...minal-charges/
Nothing new here though, she's been threatening a defamation suit since the beginning.
"The things you reported that I said I did, and now have a recording of are defamatory" is not exactly a strong defamation suit.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #8017
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danielle Smith: "The CBC published defamatory stories about me"
Judge: "CBC, what do you have to say in your defense"
CBC Lawyer: *shrugs shoulders and hits "play" on youtube video
Judge: "Case dismissed"
Old 03-30-2023, 04:46 PM   #8018
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Defund the CBC!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:48 PM   #8019
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing new here though, she's been threatening a defamation suit since the beginning.
"The things you reported that I said I did, and now have a recording of are defamatory" is not exactly a strong defamation suit.
The best part, the recording with Pawlowski came AFTER CBC's initial report. Fully aware that 'they're on to her' she admits to it... on a video chat.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:52 PM   #8020
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got a text from the NDP today, was quite pleased to to tell them that not only could they count on my vote, but that I'd signed up already for a sign, donated, and when my time becomes more available I would even consider volunteering.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: