Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2024, 02:46 PM   #781
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames take Iginla and Detroit takes Eiserman. If Buffalo wants Connelly that would be fun too.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 02:47 PM   #782
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
So sanctimonious and disingenuous, as always.

Literally any time someone posts something new about Tij you're in here trying to throw cold water over it within 5 posts.

I'm a good example, I started the season low on Tij and could care, but as it went on he climbed up my rankings quick. Literally has nothing to do with his name; he was a top performing player on a good WHL team and showed notable growth over the season. He's one of the youngest players in this draft. He scores big goals and plays in tough situations consistently. He is scrappy and wins puck battles far more often than he loses. He's hard to get off the puck. And he has a great shot.

There are people in this thread who are blind to his actual qualities because of the name plate he has on. IMO far more who are blindly against than are blindly for.
Oh yes, Monahammer knows more than pro scouts and would take Tij Iginla at #2. That amount of idiocy is why we can all be thankful you are not our GM. The player is fine anywhere from 8-15. He is a good goal scorer but isn't dominant, his defensive game can use some work, he has some grit but isn't a PF like his dad was. You constantly go on tilt because you love the name so much which is not how anyone in their right mind would actually draft. The BPA at 2 would not be Iginla, no chance. I mean didn't you just say you would take Dickinson over Demidov? Have you even watched these players??
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:54 PM   #783
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stand corrected, it was Buium you would take 2nd in one thread while also stating you would also take Tij at #2. That would be an interesting trick.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:56 PM   #784
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh yes, Monahammer knows more than pro scouts and would take Tij Iginla at #2. That amount of idiocy is why we can all be thankful you are not our GM. The player is fine anywhere from 8-15. He is a good goal scorer but isn't dominant, his defensive game can use some work, he has some grit but isn't a PF like his dad was. You constantly go on tilt because you love the name so much which is not how anyone in their right mind would actually draft. The BPA at 2 would not be Iginla, no chance. I mean didn't you just say you would take Dickinson over Demidov? Have you even watched these players??
Why does he need to be like his dad? He is his own player, and looking like he is going to be a good one.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:00 PM   #785
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Why does he need to be like his dad? He is his own player, and looking like he is going to be a good one.
I never said he needs to be like his dad, he won't be. I said he isn't a PF like his dad. I have never once pushed back on Iginla being a good player, I have pushed back on a few posters who are saying we have to draft him no matter what. The team to me means more than some novelty of drafting the son of the best player to play for us. You take the BPA regardless of his name. At #2 Tij Iginla is not that player.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 03:04 PM   #786
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never said he needs to be like his dad, he won't be. I said he isn't a PF like his dad. I have never once pushed back on Iginla being a good player, I have pushed back on a few posters who are saying we have to draft him no matter what. The team to me means more than some novelty of drafting the son of the best player to play for us. You take the BPA regardless of his name. At #2 Tij Iginla is not that player.
I don't think you should worry about him being taken 2nd by the Flames.

It's a fun story though, and he could be the BPA at our pick. He is placed right in our mix.

I personally want a defenceman, but if Tij is who they have we take him.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #787
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I don't think you should worry about him being taken 2nd by the Flames.

It's a fun story though, and he could be the BPA at our pick. He is placed right in our mix.

I personally want a defenceman, but if Tij is who they have we take him.
I never once said he couldn't be the BPA at our pick. I did say I think it is a better situation if he was drafted before we pick because it solves a lot of dilemma. I also said if he is there at 9 I think the Flames will draft him at 9. The only time I have pushed back on Tij is when posters go off tilt about him because of who his father was, like our friend Monahammer.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:15 PM   #788
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never once said he couldn't be the BPA at our pick. I did say I think it is a better situation if he was drafted before we pick because it solves a lot of dilemma. I also said if he is there at 9 I think the Flames will draft him at 9. The only time I have pushed back on Tij is when posters go off tilt about him because of who his father was, like our friend Monahammer.
Why are "we" scared of a dilemma? Isn't ordering players 7-12 generally a dilemma anyways? This one just comes with some extra internal conversation about one particular player in that range.

BPA is still just a lot of opinion, before and short term after the draft.

You'll never know what order the team's board was. You'll never know if they went next player on their list, or deviated.

You'll never know where they ranked Iginla. Did they have him 8th? Did they have him 9th? Did they have him 12th? Where did they have who they take ranked? All of that matters in determining how to grill them from the outside after the fact if it doesn't go the way you want it to, but you and everyone else will always be making baseless judgements about Flames management and scouts on draft day.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:52 PM   #789
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You also just assume people want him because of his name, when I pointed out the reasons I like him you basically called me a liar even know I’ve been touting him for months on his playing ability not his name.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:15 PM   #790
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You also just assume people want him because of his name, when I pointed out the reasons I like him you basically called me a liar even know I’ve been touting him for months on his playing ability not his name.
I didn't call you a liar. However if you say you would take Iginla no matter what I question what the motives for that are. If it isn't the name then maybe you have not seen enough of the other players. I have never pushed back on anyone wanting the player if they think he is the BPA at 9. If someone wants the player regardless of where we draft or whom is available what other explanation is there besides it is Jarome's son?
Old 05-06-2024, 04:16 PM   #791
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Lets concentrate on what's important here on a message board. At least one or none or both of you will be able to say you were right....and that's really the most important part of life, being right in the past.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 04:25 PM   #792
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

“I never once said this”, “Liar liar”, let’s celebrate meaningless wins so we have a worse BPA. But if Tij is the BPA we are in a dilemma.

Think I have my mind about right.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #793
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still want Buium to "fall" to us.

I'm concerned Silayev is the faller and not enough people in the top 8 want Iginla/Helenius/Other.

I am assuming there's not much way Conroy takes Eiserman.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 04:38 PM   #794
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't call you a liar. However if you say you would take Iginla no matter what I question what the motives for that are. If it isn't the name then maybe you have not seen enough of the other players. I have never pushed back on anyone wanting the player if they think he is the BPA at 9. If someone wants the player regardless of where we draft or whom is available what other explanation is there besides it is Jarome's son?
You said something like “I’m not buying what you’re selling” and I have never said no matter what, I have stated he was my 4th best forward in the draft, all though after his playoff and U18 he is now 3rd on my list.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:11 PM   #795
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I still want Buium to "fall" to us.

I'm concerned Silayev is the faller and not enough people in the top 8 want Iginla/Helenius/Other.

I am assuming there's not much way Conroy takes Eiserman.
I think Silayev goes top 5 and it won't be an issue. He's got too many unique attributes that NHL GMs looooooooooooooooooooooooove
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 05:27 PM   #796
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think any teams will take Silayev ahead of Levshunov, Parekh, Buium, or Dickinson but could easily be wrong. Silayev is a rare prospect.

We know by #9, it’s pretty much guaranteed that Celebrini and Levhsunov are gone.

Unless the Flames fall to 10 or 11, they will get one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Buium, or Dickinson. I’m a happy camper with that outcome even though I really want Iginla.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:28 PM   #797
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You said something like “I’m not buying what you’re selling” and I have never said no matter what, I have stated he was my 4th best forward in the draft, all though after his playoff and U18 he is now 3rd on my list.
No, I pushed back on your statement that an NHL scout said what equates to Iginla being the second best player in the draft. If I said I am not buying what you are selling perhaps I should have said I am not buying what that scout is selling.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:28 PM   #798
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think Silayev goes top 5 and it won't be an issue. He's got too many unique attributes that NHL GMs looooooooooooooooooooooooove
I agree with this.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:12 AM   #799
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I stand corrected, it was Buium you would take 2nd in one thread while also stating you would also take Tij at #2. That would be an interesting trick.
And would speed up the rebuild.

Of course, SJ, or whoever, would select Calibrini and Demidov at #1.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:02 AM   #800
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Bob polls 10 scouts.
Each team probably has ten scouts each.
Assuming he is just talking to NHL team scouts and not those with central scouting. There is roughly 350 scouts out there and is consensus list is from 2.5% of those with an opinion.
10 head scouts....so that consensus is from all the scouts from that particular team.....is what i understood.