Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #781
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its seems absurd that you have to pay more for First Class, but what can you expect when you outsource the Conveyor system to airlines??
You just can't put a price on being able to stretch out your legs in your final moments. Or not having a little kid kicking the back of your seat.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #782
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Its brilliant. The sheer savings are almost unfathomable.

No CPP withholdings, no Government or Private pensions, theres no point in saving your money so inject all of that straight into the economy...Housing? If you're done by 30 that opens a whole host of residences available and it opens up the supply so drops the prices...

Think of it. It could be amazing.
And best of all? It makes the accountants happy!
Old 12-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #783
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Just to clarify, there would be a "grandfather" clause for those of us already older than 30, right?
I think you'd have to gradually do it. I mean...have you talked to people under 30 recently? If they got rid of us old-timers all at once those idiots wouldnt know how to run the place!

Although...they could start with Politicians.

"Elect Locke!! I'll clean this place up! Why settle for the 'Lesser Evil?'"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:09 PM   #784
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Just came in to say this. The problem isn't bloated bureaucracy or inefficient spending, though those things may or may not exist to some extent. It's also not a singular disease like the opioid crisis, COVID, or even obesity, though they all do contribute to the problem.

The top 3 problems are demographics, demographics, and also demographics. We can offer more health interventions for more diseases than ever, which increase overall need, but the primary driver of both increased usage and decreased human resources is the same. It's a large and increasing number of old people. Full stop
We’ve known about the demographic wave for decades now. It isn’t a surprise. Why haven’t we been able to expand capacity to meet the increased need? No province in Canada under any government has managed this. While countries with populations aging even faster than Canada’s have better access to care.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #785
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We’ve known about the demographic wave for decades now. It isn’t a surprise. Why haven’t we been able to expand capacity to meet the increased need? No province in Canada under any government has managed this. While countries with populations aging even faster than Canada’s have better access to care.
The answer is glaringly obvious. We don't govern for the future because if you require sacrifices from today, the electorate will get mad and vote for someone else. If you are upset about that, start campaigning for candidates who will ask constituents for more tax money

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 12-30-2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2023, 10:05 PM   #786
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Its brilliant. The sheer savings are almost unfathomable.

No CPP withholdings, no Government or Private pensions, theres no point in saving your money so inject all of that straight into the economy...Housing? If you're done by 30 that opens a whole host of residences available and it opens up the supply so drops the prices...

Think of it. It could be amazing.
There will be some costs associated with your plan...body disposal (or processing if the whole soylent green thing is implemented), some sort of brute squad to round them all up, transportation, and a fair bit of new administration to set up.
But yeah, probably still come out way ahead.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:17 PM   #787
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
There will be some costs associated with your plan...body disposal (or processing if the whole soylent green thing is implemented), some sort of brute squad to round them all up, transportation, and a fair bit of new administration to set up.
But yeah, probably still come out way ahead.
I mean...yeah...theres going to be some initial infrastructural costs, you just have to accept those for the long-term gain.

Hey...I'm over 30, unless I'm the Supreme Overlord I understand that my number's going to come up when they dont need me to implement the System anymore.

Lets be honest...how many of these children have even see Logan's Run or Soylent Green? They dont know what they're doing!

But once everything gets into a nice, steady rhythm you wont need the old people anymore.

"Happy Birthday Dad!!"

*gunfire*

Credits.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #788
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The answer is glaringly obvious. We don't govern for the future because if you require sacrifices from today, the electorate will get mad and vote for someone else. If you are upset about that, start campaigning for candidates who will ask constituents for more tax money
And you don't think this problem exists in all those other countries who have better health care systems?

They all have to deal with politicians being elected into and out of office, which likely results in the same issues we struggle with.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #789
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
growing consensus is emerging that receiving multiple doses of the COVID vaccine before an initial infection can dramatically reduce the risk of long-term symptoms. Although the studies disagree on the exact amount of protection, they show a clear trend: the more shots in your arm before your first bout with COVID, the less likely you are to get long COVID. One meta-analysis of 24 studies published in October, for example, found that people who’d had three doses of the COVID vaccine were 68.7 percent less likely to develop long COVID compared with those who were unvaccinated. “This is really impressive,” says Alexandre Marra, a medical researcher at the Albert Einstein Israelite Hospital in Brazil and the lead author of the study. “Booster doses make a difference in long COVID.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ng-covid-risk/

Another great reason to get your boosters. Long covid is devastating, and really taxing on our medical system, our economy, friends and family...really, you do not wan't to go through it. You can get long covid even if your infection isn't severe. Go get boosted. The facts are clear, even if you are "young and healthy".
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #790
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My nephew (and his family?) think COVID is over. I think it may never be over and we could see a resurgence.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #791
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My nephew (and his family?) think COVID is over. I think it may never be over and we could see a resurgence.
People can 'think; but I dont think anyone really knows what the future holds.

My personal opinion is that with vaccinations and eventual...'immunity' isnt the right term, but that it will become like a Flu, but not 'seasonal' if that makes any sense? But more virulent and severe.

But I have no expertise, it just seems the likeliest outcome.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #792
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People can 'think; but I dont think anyone really knows what the future holds.

My personal opinion is that with vaccinations and eventual...'immunity' isnt the right term, but that it will become like a Flu, but not 'seasonal' if that makes any sense? But more virulent and severe.

But I have no expertise, it just seems the likeliest outcome.
I no agree that seems likely the likely outcome, which means COVID would not be over.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:12 PM   #793
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I no agree that seems likely the likely outcome, which means COVID would not be over.
It'd be nice if COVID followed the Spanish Flu and burnt itself out of existence but I dont think we're going to get that lucky.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:13 PM   #794
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those afraid of modern science, you can now get the Novavax vaccine as well, made using more traditional methods. Anyone still have excuses?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...073336?cmp=rss
Old 01-03-2024, 09:51 PM   #795
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It'd be nice if COVID followed the Spanish Flu and burnt itself out of existence but I dont think we're going to get that lucky.
Spanish flu never really went away. It was a H1N1 virus like that of swine flu etc. Version of it has been going around for the last 100 years.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:34 AM   #796
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For those afraid of modern science, you can now get the Novavax vaccine as well, made using more traditional methods. Anyone still have excuses?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...073336?cmp=rss
Does it still have the 5G in it?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:21 AM   #797
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Does it still have the 5G in it?
Just LTE
Old 01-04-2024, 09:01 AM   #798
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Just LTE
The luddite of vaccines.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #799
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ng-covid-risk/

Another great reason to get your boosters. Long covid is devastating, and really taxing on our medical system, our economy, friends and family...really, you do not wan't to go through it. You can get long covid even if your infection isn't severe. Go get boosted. The facts are clear, even if you are "young and healthy".
In the year 2024, how many people have not had their 'initial' bout of COVID yet? Studies from the Summer of 2023 suggest that that population is 25% or lower.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 01-04-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #800
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I haven't.