Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #781
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Side note, I was in a taxi in a U.S. city and they actually had "vomit cleanup fee $50" written on the back of the seat.

People puking in your car would be just the worst.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #782
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Side note, I was in a taxi in a U.S. city and they actually had "vomit cleanup fee $50" written on the back of the seat.

This is outlined on the "Driver and Passenger Bill or Rights" thing that is in some cabs in Calgary.

It's a hundred bucks , but they call it "soiled". Soil the cab, pony up your hundred bucks, Drinky McDrinkerson.

I always wonder if that covers soiling your pants and fouling the cab that way.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #783
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I would think so. That's probably why they don't define exactly the method of soiling the vehicle.

That would definitely be my biggest concern about using my personal vehicle to drive for Uber.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #784
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
This is outlined on the "Driver and Passenger Bill or Rights" thing that is in some cabs in Calgary.

It's a hundred bucks , but they call it "soiled". Soil the cab, pony up your hundred bucks, Drinky McDrinkerson.

Honestly, $50-$100? That seems mighty fair to me.

If you puke in someone's car, anyone's car, you're likely not in any condition to clean it up so you ought to give them something and to me a hundo seems fair.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #785
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bubbles aint cheap.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #786
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly, $50-$100? That seems mighty fair to me.

If you puke in someone's car, anyone's car, you're likely not in any condition to clean it up so you ought to give them something and to me a hundo seems fair.
Oh for sure. You owe someone a hundred bucks if you puke in their car. That's just common decency.

Some moons ago a chum of mine barfed in a cab and the cabbie slammed on the brakes and told us to get out, right on Macleod Trail. Didn't want money, didn't even charge me the fare, just said "get out".

There were no winners that night. Especially the driver.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #787
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
If having to wait to flag another taxi to take you the same distance you could walk in 15 minutes is the biggest reason for hating taxis I think we've got bigger problems on our hands. Perhaps cab drivers would be a little friendlier if they weren't getting told to f off over a 1km trip.

I doubt that an Uber driver is going to be too stoked for a 1km fare either, even with the controls in place to prevent them from saying no to those.
If I don't want to walk 15 minutes because I'm lazy, or because the girl I'm with is wearing heels, or because it's minus 20 outside, has nothing do do with the fact that in a real city, there should be a for-profit service where people like me can get a GD ride to wherever they want, whenever they want.

It is downright mystifying why the sh8t service Calgary taxis "provide" keeps getting defended. Especially with weak ass arguments like "you could have walked there in 15 minutes".
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #788
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
If having to wait to flag another taxi to take you the same distance you could walk in 15 minutes is the biggest reason for hating taxis I think we've got bigger problems on our hands. Perhaps cab drivers would be a little friendlier if they weren't getting told to f off over a 1km trip.

I doubt that an Uber driver is going to be too stoked for a 1km fare either, even with the controls in place to prevent them from saying no to those.

Oh K, Mr Mayor.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #789
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If I don't want to walk 15 minutes because I'm lazy, or because the girl I'm with is wearing heels, or because it's minus 20 outside, has nothing do do with the fact that in a real city, there should be a for-profit service where people like me can get a GD ride to wherever they want, whenever they want.

It is downright mystifying why the sh8t service Calgary taxis "provide" keeps getting defended. Especially with weak ass arguments like "you could have walked there in 15 minutes".
I don't think anyone serious would disagree that the taxi cab industry in Calgary needs a major overhaul. A lot of us just think that Uber, as a solution, comes with a lot more strings attached/long-run problems.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #790
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's not just short haul rides, its rides to the suburbs as well because they're too far or because they won't have any fares to pickup on the way back downtown.

It shouldn't be that difficult to find a ride home from downtown, just because I wanted to have some drinks while being responsible.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #791
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm not saying everyone's making up or exaggerating recent experiences, but it is interesting how everyone seems to have taken an Uber and Cab ride for trips to and from places in the same night.

Not that I don't believe everyone, but it seems a little strange so many would do this when they apparently already knew how terrible taxi service has been for years. The "I tried both for comparison" stories would come off more legit if it was two new services, not sure why everyone would pay more for worse service on one of their rides just to have a nice feel good juxtaposition story of Uber for the internet.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #792
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I don't think anyone serious would disagree that the taxi cab industry in Calgary needs a major overhaul. A lot of us just think that Uber, as a solution, comes with a lot more strings attached/long-run problems.
Sometimes the best solution isn't the first solution to come around. I agree Uber isn't the best solution, but it's raising awareness for the problem and one possible fix. Hopefully others jump on the wagon and propose other fixes.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #793
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Sorta like how for a loooong time, we all knew that the PCs needed to get kicked to the curb, but SFA was available for an alternative, so after repeatedly getting punched in the nuts, Alberta voted in the fricken NDP, consequences be damned?

Well, I guess the City needs to save us from ourselves, because right now, anything but a taxi sounds good to me. Uber can have my money. They could be charging more. Much more. As long as I don't stand outside after my xmas party for two hours, I am happy to put my money right into Fat Tony's pocket. Gimme a bottle of Malk to top it off.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #794
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm not saying everyone's making up or exaggerating recent experiences, but it is interesting how everyone seems to have taken an Uber and Cab ride for trips to and from places in the same night.

Not that I don't believe everyone, but it seems a little strange so many would do this when they apparently already knew how terrible taxi service has been for years. The "I tried both for comparison" stories would come off more legit if it was two new services, not sure why everyone would pay more for worse service on one of their rides just to have a nice feel good juxtaposition story of Uber for the internet.
Because until fataing Uber came around I couldnt even GET a goddamn Taxi!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #795
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. Is it difficult to think that people have had experiences with both, and are posting there comparison in the Uber thread?

What would there be to gain by exaggerating the experience? I've taken some great cabs all around the world, and even have had some decent experiences in Calgary. However, in my two times using UBER since it came to Calgary, and numerous times in the US, it has been hands down the better experience.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #796
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think it's more notable that Calgarians feel compelled to brag about their awesome Uber experience. If taxis didn't suck such gross, hairy balls, people wouldn't feel like royalty for just getting a ride.

This is on you, Calgary Taxi Industry. You made your bed. Now you can GFY.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #797
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

During xmas party season why would you even try and get a taxi, it's frivolous affair.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 AM   #798
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
During xmas party season why would you even try and get a taxi, it's frivolous affair.
In the past, it was the only option. This year, I wont be calling a taxi. Not for xmas parties, seasonal hang outs, unintentional inebriation, or pre-planned celebration. I will not only use Uber, I will tip them enough that they come back out again the next day. As long as I get picked up in a reasonable amount of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #799
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yep. I'm gonna Uber the hell out of the uberman, for no other reason than to send a big F-you to the taxi industry. I can't even count how many times I've stood around in the freezing cold while those a-holes drove past me with their lights on.

Now I don't live downtown anymore and I only take cabs a few times a month, but I'm going to make a point of paying around the same fare as a cab because I want them to stick around. $60 Uber ride to Okotoks? Here's a hundy. That's how much I hate the taxi industry in Calgary.

I'm an irrational, spiteful, grudge carrying individual. I won't forget those cold nights anytime soon.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #800
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a great chat with Taxi driver on Saturday night. He is furious with the City and the Taxi Cartels. He went as far as saying he would quit to be an uber driver if there was more demand. In his eyes the city isn't big enough to have the Taxi and Ubers play nice and everyone make money. He was planning to leave Calgary in January and move to Toronto.

He was really fired up about how bad some taxi drivers are in not taking fares and only demanding cash on some trips. It gives everybody a bad reputation.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote