Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #61
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\

Not bad at all! Those are the best operating temperatures for that kind of camera I've seen yet. You could mount one outside and it would survive which beats the issue that they ususally have with looking through glass when the IR comes on at night.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #62
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
/\/\

Not bad at all! Those are the best operating temperatures for that kind of camera I've seen yet. You could mount one outside and it would survive which beats the issue that they ususally have with looking through glass when the IR comes on at night.
I didn't even research when I bought it then while looking at additional cameras decided to check what the temperature range was and was quite shocked that they can go that cold. The picture is actually pretty good as well and Analog systems are plug and play to set up so it has been great.

I am going with front and back door cameras one inside the front entrance way and one in my daughters room so I don't need to buy a baby monitor.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #63
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigFatWallet View Post
Home Depot sells a smart plugin that allows you to control whatever device is plugged into it via wifi and your smartphone. You can use it to turn on lights in the home if you are away using their smartphone app. It sells for around $60. Has anyone tried this?
is this the Chamberlian MyQ device?

I have been having some issues with my garage door randomly opening (it is possible that my kids are no closing it properly) - so I bought this bad boy: http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphon...odel-myq-g0201. I can now monitor the position of my garage door via my cell phone. When my door opens or closes I get a notification on my phone. I can tell the position of my door at any time via the app.

Took a bit to hook it up, but it seems pretty slick to me - cost was $130 at home depot and I bought a wi-fi extender for $50.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #64
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bump

I have been with Reliance Protectron and paying $33 a month, which seems steep.

I have a DSC panel, with monitored windows, doors, window breaks and fire.

Any suggestions on where I could go for better pricing? Is United still a good alternative for monitored protection?

What about upgrading my system for web access, phone, etc? Is that doable or do I need a whole new system?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #65
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

A friend of mine had their home broken into a month ago. She said the cops came and they chatted about what they can do to prevent it. The cop said if thieves see you have an alarm system that is connected to your phone system the first thing they will do is cut the phone line, and then break in. That way no one is notified about it via automatic phone connection. Not sure if it's true or not but don't most modern systems rely on a phone connection?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #66
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
A friend of mine had their home broken into a month ago. She said the cops came and they chatted about what they can do to prevent it. The cop said if thieves see you have an alarm system that is connected to your phone system the first thing they will do is cut the phone line, and then break in. That way no one is notified about it via automatic phone connection. Not sure if it's true or not but don't most modern systems rely on a phone connection?
If your self monitored (via internet) and/or using a GSM then the threat of line cutting is gone. Most systems I put in these days are have one of or both of these options in use.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #67
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Bump

I have been with Reliance Protectron and paying $33 a month, which seems steep.

I have a DSC panel, with monitored windows, doors, window breaks and fire.

Any suggestions on where I could go for better pricing? Is United still a good alternative for monitored protection?

What about upgrading my system for web access, phone, etc? Is that doable or do I need a whole new system?
What's the model of your dsc system? You can always self monitor via internet and cell phone by installing Vera with your security system.

http://getvera.com

This is what I use. Complete control of my dsc system with home automation.

Last edited by csnarpy; 02-10-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #68
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
What's the model of your disc system? You can always self monitor via internet and cell phone by installing Vera with your security system.

http://getvera.com

This is what I use. Complete control of my dsc system with home automation.
I've recently cancelled my ADT - can I use that with an un-monitored system?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #69
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I've recently cancelled my ADT - can I use that with an un-monitored system?
Yep. It's self monitoring. I work for ADT but don't use them. I prefer self monitoring. If you have a system in place then you can just add a mod with the Vera Lite. Just make sure you get the proper mod depending on the system. DSc uses a IT-100 and Vista panels (ADT pro3000) uses the AD2USB.

Last edited by csnarpy; 02-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #70
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone heard of or use Frontpoint Security? It has the highest rating online from what I can see, and their rates seem reasonable. My brother & parents use Vivint, and their rating are pretty high as well. Anyone use either of these? Feedback?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #71
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I have Vivint. I have not had to use them in an emergency (knock on wood) but their system is nice and easy to use either over the web or phone. I get notifications on items that I setup as well. No complaints but as I said I have not had an emergency either.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #72
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I am in the process of installing this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49709 So far it is really easy and straight forward. I struggled a bit on the networking aspect but now that I understand it would be very straight forward. I haven't tried to run the cables yet which is going to be the hardest part. So far I am pretty impressed with this system. Has an Iphone/android app so I can check in anywhere.

I got it on sale for 150 but now am thinking I should have gotten the 8 camera dvr since adding cameras is addicting
I also got this unit back when it was on sale, great little thing. DVR, iphone app, motion sensing, email notifications, great stuff and super cheap for a good resolution unit.

I also kinda wish I got the 8 channel unit, but the price jump was more than double. Now just have to settle with which 4 s

I've also got a DSC security panel with self monitoring. (Calls my cell), which coupled with 2 sirens (one inside, one in garage), should hopefully be sufficient. Had a breakin last month, and the sirens and self monitoring is what all the cops recommended that came through.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #73
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I also got this unit back when it was on sale, great little thing. DVR, iphone app, motion sensing, email notifications, great stuff and super cheap for a good resolution unit.

I also kinda wish I got the 8 channel unit, but the price jump was more than double. Now just have to settle with which 4 s

I've also got a DSC security panel with self monitoring. (Calls my cell), which coupled with 2 sirens (one inside, one in garage), should hopefully be sufficient. Had a breakin last month, and the sirens and self monitoring is what all the cops recommended that came through.
Ducay can you tell me more about the panel and self monitoring? I would really like to set up some alarms with the system as well but I am a total noob as I am sure everyone saw in my struggles just to have the system set up for remote viewing!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #74
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Ducay can you tell me more about the panel and self monitoring? I would really like to set up some alarms with the system as well but I am a total noob as I am sure everyone saw in my struggles just to have the system set up for remote viewing!
Its a DSC PC1832 panel that's hooked up to the phone line (just like every monitored alarm). It was originally installed by the previous owner by VoxCom, and only after the breakin did I bother to set it up and use it ('doh).

Its pretty plain jane system, just the panel hooked up to 7 zones (doors/motion), and then you just go through and program it to call you when the alarm trips instead of calling the alarm company's monitoring line. Surprisingly easy to program through the keypad and the DSC install guide is pretty easy to follow and there are roughtly 2 million forum posts of other newbs programming their systems, so the answers are all out there.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #75
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Its a DSC PC1832 panel that's hooked up to the phone line (just like every monitored alarm). It was originally installed by the previous owner by VoxCom, and only after the breakin did I bother to set it up and use it ('doh).
Ahh your house was prewired for it. I am thinking that would be the hard part wiring up the sensors since my house is fully finished
Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #76
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also in the market myself, so looking around. I've heard good things about Vivint in terms of their tech...terrible things about their sales tactics, so I'm a little hesitant.

To what point can you negotiate with these companies anyway? Ie, Should I expect to get some free hardware and/or a lower rate?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #77
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm also in the market myself, so looking around. I've heard good things about Vivint in terms of their tech...terrible things about their sales tactics, so I'm a little hesitant.

To what point can you negotiate with these companies anyway? Ie, Should I expect to get some free hardware and/or a lower rate?
I know with Vivint I was able to get an extra camera out of them when I hesitated. As for prices they were very firm on that, they would not even take $5 off per month.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #78
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I would assume for them the hardware costs peanuts, but even a few bucks off the monthly price probably equates to hundreds over the course of the contract.

Mind letting us know how much you are paying a month? They dont list their prices on their website, which for me is usually the first warning of possible shadiness.

It does seem like Frontpoint gets a lot of good reviews online.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #79
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

The guy I spoke to at Vivint was useless. He was clearly more interested in the sale than informing me about the product he was trying to sell (reminding me that they work on commission, joking around, trying to be too personable, etc.). Where the woman I spoke with at Frontpoint was really professional and had answers to all my questions.

I'm going to do a little research tonight, but so far Frontpoint is my first choice. I cannot find a negative review of them online anywhere.

Edit: I saw Superflyer's response about Vivint not moving much on their pricing. Apparently, according to the guy I talked to, if I sign up today because it's St. Patrick's Day (?!) I get 50% off my activation fee.

Last edited by Nyah; 03-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #80
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Edit: I saw Superflyer's response about Vivint not moving much on their pricing. Apparently, according to the guy I talked to, if I sign up today because it's St. Patrick's Day (?!) I get 50% off my activation fee.
Again, not a great sign. I really like the tech they offer, but it seems like the process to get is still a little shady. Why the reason to be so slimy? Shouldn't the product sell itself if its good?

When you spoke with them and Frontpoint already, did they mention what other costs are associated outside of monthly monitoring? Do you have to pay for equipment/install or is that included with the contract?