Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #61
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Honestly, I was just bored. Almost the entire event was taken up with one spokesperson or another tossing themselves off about how great they are doing. I understand that the events are an effort to get retailers and investors to back you up on your product, but i often think that Nintendo is a bit excessive.

The only thing that piqued my interest was the GTA on DS thing. Everything else that was shown was either a natural extension of products and services they already have (which is OK, just not very exciting) or something that I thought was just plain strange (Wii Music).

I hope the Sony conference is more interesting.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #62
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty uninspired press conference from Nintendo.

Animal Crossing was barely a new game announcement. The microphone is a nice addition though.

Wii Sports Resort should be awesome with the MotionPlus, but I'm not a huge fan of the sport choices. Wave Racing should be awesome, but sword fighting will likely get old and I can't really comment on the disc throwing until a see the videos.

Wii Music has been known about for awhile and from what I read on the live blogs there wasn't even much new information released.

The DS stuff looks pretty good, but it's still not the same as a major Nintendo IP.

I can't believe nothing was announced for Wiiware. If Nintendo wants to build the service they need a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game built for it to get the word out.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #63
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After reading through some of the blogs it looks like the announcements for this years E3 are pretty underwhelming. The only one that looks interesting is the FFXIII going to XBOX, but even that is kinda meh, for a few reasons:

- Still exclusive to PS3 in Japan, and being released there first, meaning that the main development if for PS3. Should be interesting to see if it ports well to XBOX.

- Console sales are pretty flat right now. I don't see how it would move a ton more consoles, especially in the NA region which is traditionally more into sports and FPS. MGS didn't move too many more, and by the time FF is shipped the market will be even more saturated with consoles.

- I sort of expected FF to go to both. There are about double the XBOXs sold in NA than PS3s, so it makes sense to try to tap a new market (who knows if the FPS and sports gamer will go for it). I expect that more games will become multi-platform in an attempt to reach more customers.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #64
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Pretty uninspired press conference from Nintendo.

Animal Crossing was barely a new game announcement. The microphone is a nice addition though.

Wii Sports Resort should be awesome with the MotionPlus, but I'm not a huge fan of the sport choices. Wave Racing should be awesome, but sword fighting will likely get old and I can't really comment on the disc throwing until a see the videos.

Wii Music has been known about for awhile and from what I read on the live blogs there wasn't even much new information released.

The DS stuff looks pretty good, but it's still not the same as a major Nintendo IP.

I can't believe nothing was announced for Wiiware. If Nintendo wants to build the service they need a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game built for it to get the word out.
There is a Megaman 9 (in a good ole 8 bit) coming out for wiiware, xbox live and psn
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #65
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't watch any of the vids here at work, but it sounds like the MotionPlus system will be a Day 1 purchase for me!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #66
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

sony so far:
Resistance 2
LittleBigPlanet (announced release date Oct 2008)
announcement of PS3 greatest hits, including Resistance, Warhawk, COD3, NFS: Carbon, Assassins creed
130+ titles scheduled to be released for the PS2 in 2008
talk of trophies and how they will approach them in an innovative way
HOME still isnt ready for beta testing (this sucks), but "patience for home will be more than rewarded"
video rental and purchase will be available on the PS3 via the PSN store (apparently this starts tonight)
It will take approx an hour to download a standard def movie
Cloverfield: $15 purchase price, $6 HD rental or $4 SD (as an example)
when movie is downloaded to PS3 it can be transferred to PSP, can also have the movie on mutliple devices at the same time
Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #67
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

more from Sony:
DC universe Online
80gb PS3 package will be available for $400 starting September
first look at God of War III
new title for PS3 - (massive action game) can support up to 256 players, in massive online battles/campaigns
Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #68
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Couple of quick notes about the info posted here.

The hour for downloading standard def movie -> They say that it will take an hour to download, but using a technique called progressive downloading you will be able to watch them in minutes.

80gb package -> I think what they are doing in bolting an 80 gb hard drive onto the current 40 gb package.

God of War has me excited, and the concept behind the MAG is very cool.

The Sackboy fiscal presentation was amazingly cute.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #69
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
more from Sony:
DC universe Online
So... we're talking another City of Heroes here?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #70
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
So... we're talking another City of Heroes here?
I think that would be a safe assumption at this point.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #71
vodafone_b
Backup Goalie

Exp:

any word on a possible price drop of the ps3? given the price drop of 360, I would have expected a price drop announcement of ps3......
I think I am ready to move on to the ps3 from my wii.. sadly.. there's just no exciting games out there for the wii anymore.. and the conference today is way too underwhelming, compare to the other 2

Last edited by vodafone_b; 07-15-2008 at 03:23 PM.
vodafone_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #72
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodafone_b View Post
any word on a possible price drop of the ps3? given the price drop of 360, I would have expected a price drop announcement of ps3......
I think I am ready to move on to the ps3 from my wii.. sadly.. there's just no exciting games out there for the wii anymore.. and the conference today is way too underwhelming, compare to the other 2
From what I've read there will be no price drop from Sony. I ended up ordering the 80 GB MGS4 bundle last Friday from Sonystyle.ca.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #73
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
more from Sony:
80gb PS3 package will be available for $400 starting September
I would presume this means a price drop on the 40gb units as well
Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #74
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I missed the ps3 conference so i had to watch it all the while avoiding comments on it in the last 90 minutes. Pretty impressed, but I'm fairly biased towards sony. MAG looks incredible. 256 players in one match!? Nice to see the rental service is up tonight ... might have to give it a whirl.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #75
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Also one thing I think that wasn't stressed yet was the announcment of a new Ratchet & Clank game that is being released over the PSN for around 15 dollars. This is a strong indication that Sony, as well as other developers, are seriously looking into alternative ways of making games.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #76
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

i completely forgot about the R&C game. Sony really seems to be pushing the online delivery of games more than the other two. Both of the others push games, but they are more of a downgraded, arcade type thing. Sony seems to actually make games you'd buy on disk available. Kind of interesting but I'm not sure I'm fully prepared to go to fully downloaded games just yet (well, fully downloaded games that are more than 10 bucks that is).
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #77
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. The video downloads doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I was looking forward to it.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #78
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 360 price drop is just to clear out 20 GB version of the 360. When the 60 GB version comes out there will be no more 20 GB version and the 60 GB version will be $349. So think of it as only a temporary price drop or clearance sale.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #79
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Damn. The video downloads doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I was looking forward to it.
They are all archived and streamed here:

http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/pressconferences/index.html
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #80
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Also one thing I think that wasn't stressed yet was the announcment of a new Ratchet & Clank game that is being released over the PSN for around 15 dollars. This is a strong indication that Sony, as well as other developers, are seriously looking into alternative ways of making games.
Is the new R&C add-on content or a whole new undersized game?

People have known about that game for a few months now after it turned up on some leaked Sony release date sheet. I had R&C Future, but sold it since it wasn't yet known when Request for Booty was coming out and if it was even add-on content.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote