Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 06:37 AM   #61
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’ve had beers with Vernon way after his career. Really interesting guy. Amazing stories how opposing teams would put hot girls behind his net to distract him. Pretty much admits he wasn’t the best human back in those days.

Have had beers with Warrener a few times, been to his place in Mackenzie lake. He is exactly the same as the pod, cynical and sarcastic as hell. He was sitting at the rink watching and I stood behind him and his dad and I quietly said Fatain Warrener when his kid had the puck. He turned his head and looked at me and laughed. His wife iis def not one of those hockey wives, super nice and sweet.low key stunner like Rashida Jones like.

Gulutzan gets lots of flack but man he’s a good guy. Toured our team at the new Edmonton arena. Kid was a self deprecating skinny joker. His then wife was going through issues and I know he was most likely dealing with that at the time he was here. He’s got that type of personality where you want to be around him.

Bill Peters bought the table beers at fca lounge, before the news came out, has that charisma/leadership where you go “ahhh, I get it now”. You guys need more beer, I’ll get it. Commands the room.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 06:41 AM   #62
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norland View Post
I met Zarley Zalapski during his stint with the Utah Grizzlies. I wouldn't say he was standoffish or aloof, just like he was on another planet. I always figured it was the shellshock of playing years in the nhl and ending up in the ihl.
When I was a kid my folks dropped me off to golf at fairmont riverside. I was paired with a dad and his daughter. He introduces himself, shakes my hand, Len Zalapski and my daughter Kayla (I think). I was a huge flames fan. That has to be his dad right? Pretty lame anecdote I know.

Last edited by fotze2; 05-16-2024 at 08:12 AM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:10 AM   #63
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The good:
When I was a kid I met a bunch of Flames who were great: Denis Gauthier, Tim Hunter, Stern, Peplinski.

The bad:
I met were Housley, who lived in our neighbourhood and did not like to be approached. Fleury, who seemed like he hated being popular. Second hand, but I knew Mike Smith's neighbours when he lived in Calgary and he was apparently a huge dick, very inconsiderate.

The otherwordly:
Got to know Lanny quite well as a teenager as his daughter was a friend. He is honestly as good as they come.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:38 AM   #64
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was about 15 playing with a volleyball with my younger female cousins who would have been about 5 and 8 at the time.

Vernon's giant dog who is off leash starts running toward us very aggressively scaring my cousins and Vernon is yelling don't worry he is friendly. I go to protect my cousins as the dog reaches us and the dog proceeds to grab the volleyball in his mouth and rips it apart into tiny little pieces and my cousins are shaking as they are so scared thinking they might be next.

Vernon finally catches up and grabs his dog. He apologizes about the volleyball and says he will replace it the next day but does not even acknowledge what trauma his dog has caused to my young cousins and leaves holding the dog by the collar and the shredded volleyball mess for me to clean up.

Next day, Vernon does not come back and never replaced the volleyball. If you see this Vernon, I want my volleyball!!!
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:43 AM   #65
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never had a bad experience with any Flame, current or alumni. All great interactions. My quick story was randomly being seated next to Dan Hamhuis on a flight from Van to Calgary. Quiet but a super friendly guy, chatted hockey and non hockey.

I asked him what it was like being in coach compared to the charters and he laughed and said it was almost ridiculous how well they are treated on the charters, he realized how good they had it and how it wasn't reality at all.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:45 AM   #66
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sat next to Gino Odjick on flight from Winnipeg to Calgary in 1993.

Dude was super nice and polite.

And huge

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #67
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a Flame, but Eberle lives in town and I've come across him once and was very friendly to everyone, seemed genuine and happy to sign autographs for kids

I've also come across Cammy who seems like a great guy
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:49 AM   #68
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Not a Flame, but Eberle lives in town and I've come across him once and was very friendly to everyone, seemed genuine and happy to sign autographs for kids
He used to live a couple of street over from me

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:53 AM   #69
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Used to live next to Laddy Smid for a brief time. He was nice, but very stoic. Which I wouldn't peg as being a jerk at all, some people are just quiet.

Also used to live close to Sam Gagner when I was in Edmonton, and he was extremely nice. Such a beautiful family who loved being outside and enjoying the neighborhood.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:54 AM   #70
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug Gilmour used to ride his bike in my community. My friends and I played football with him a couple of times.

My friend used to work at 7-11, Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts were regular visitors. Roberts would come in and get chocolate bars.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:57 AM   #71
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not personal experience, but from someone I knew. He was neighbours with Brodie and Russel. One day he was working in the front yard trying to move some heavy stuff and Brodie sees him, comes out to help him, and they were joined shortly after by Russel. This gentleman was from the UK, and didn’t follow hockey, so he had no idea who these young men were helping him
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 08:59 AM   #72
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norland View Post
I met Zarley Zalapski during his stint with the Utah Grizzlies. I wouldn't say he was standoffish or aloof, just like he was on another planet. I always figured it was the shellshock of playing years in the nhl and ending up in the ihl.
He also rented videos from the same Rogers that Tabby did.
Quiet guy but very nice. Asked me a couple times for advice on movies, and once you got into a conversation with him - he was quite thoughtful.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 09:03 AM   #73
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Yup or a guy like Dube , who was a nicest guy until…
Yup.. It goes both ways!
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:09 AM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankly I wouldn't reconize most Flames in an out of context setting.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #75
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't talk to him but at my birthday hang over brunch in 2008 at the Smittys in Camrose Iggy and his family were randomly there. This was near the end of August right before Camp. Very random place to see a Flames in the wild.

A few years before that my sister and I saw Chuck Kobasew at the gas station down the hill off Edmonton Trail. Made eye contact, nodded. And carried on with life.

Not a Flame but I did drunkenly buy Luke Schenn a beer once at the bar in Invermere the summer after his last WJHC. JD Watt was there too.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:32 AM   #76
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Personally met Iggy, Conroy and McDonald and all are great people. Had a dinner with Tim Jackman once. He was a super kind guy and down to earth.

Joe Colborne was golfing in front of my foursome last year at Mickelson, and one of us accidentally drove the green while they were still on. At the next hole we caught up and apologized and he was super friendly about it and remarked "I hope you eagled it" which they hadn't.

Have a close connection in non-hockey management for many years and this is what I've heard and can remember off the top of my head:

Backlund - Nicest player by far. Will go out of his way to chat to him if they cross paths and will send personalized emails when completing admin tasks necessary.
Monahan - Nice but quiet and seemingly shy
Gaudreau - Seemed like a kid. Nice but nervous. Wouldn't do anything without his agents clearance or approval (like a kid needing reassurance) This was when he was still younger though.
Versteeg - Funny and outgoing

Not many negatives but apparently Wideman was known to be a headcase and not enjoyable to have to deal with. Hamilton as well.

Last edited by BrennyBaller; 05-16-2024 at 09:41 AM.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:45 AM   #77
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
My experiences with Theo have been nothing but amazing.
Had a funny experience with James Neal. He was both a ton of fun/nice and also a huge prick.
Jarome is the best human I’ve ever met. Exceeded high expectations.
Gelinas not so nice.
I’ve heard negative things about young Phaneuf and Tkachuk.
Surprised to hear this. A few years back I met him as I was right behind him in line while waiting to board a plane to YVR. It was a miserably early morning but he was happy to chat for a few minutes and snap a picture.

Then, oddly enough, while in Vancouver on the same trip, I was on the Skytrain and the doors opened at some random stop and boom, he stepped in. We ended up chatting again for a few minutes while on the train.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:46 AM   #78
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
Only time I saw a bit of a Diva attitude was actually Gio’s wife. They were walking out of the Apple Store in chinook mall, and some teens were saying hey Gio! They were like 13 or 14.. ish; but Gios wife looked pissed and they both kinda stormed off.. typical Apple Store experience.
Gio's wife would routinely go to the Flames arena, buy a bottle water or a juice and tip the staff $50 to $100.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:57 AM   #79
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Replying to Igottago (quoting won't work for some reason):

The signing was at a SportChek. Did they used to have one on MacLeod that wasn't in the mall? I still have a mug they gave us to get signed, and the glossy.
Sportchek Avenida Mall just off MacLeod Trail.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #80
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:
Flames

I've played slow pitch against 70% of the Flames alumni of which most of the team that won our cup in 89 were a part of....

All excellent dudes. This was all great for one summer until Jamie Macoun drank way to much and wouldn't listen to reason after the game in the parking lot and jumped in his 300zx and nearly killed himself on the deerfoot that nite....ended up with nerve damage in his shoulder if I recall correctly. I actually recall the guys saying To Jamie " dammit call a cab buddy"!

He was along with Rob Ramage one of my favorite d men aside from Suter and Chopper and can't forget Brad McCrimmon.

The only guys I ever met that were very arrogant were Matteau and Derek Morris.

Matteau was scratched and was at the Fox and Firkin with Mike Bullard who was injured . He was hammered and puking in the bathroom. Totally belligerent.

Derek Morris was at a sports pub with his buddy and a few guys came up only to say hi and he couldn't have been bothered to talk. He was rude to his waitress and she later spilled water all over him. I was sitting right there laughing my ass off to which he pulled the DO you know who I am out of his A ...pretty quickly after that he left.

Ran into Perry Berezan once downtown. Wow. Dude is funny. He likely talks more than Conroy....for real.

Best experience ever though was driving to the old airport after besting Edmonton.

Lanny and Hunter walking to their cars high fiving and signing autograph at 2 am look at eachother and laugh after getting in their cars parked side by each and getting out to make sure everyone got high fives and autograph.

We've certainly had some Incredibly great human beings wear the C here.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good