Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 11:51 PM   #61
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I were them but its not some steal...Just because some idiots in the media were leaking some ridiculously high numbers people think its a great deal. A few months ago the Canucks were a longshot for the playoffs, now they are cup contenders for years to come? IDK, lets see how the playoffs go and then next season.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:28 AM   #62
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Depends what you mean. Best player every have been a Canuck? No.

Best player ever to have been a career Canuck (or even majority)? Maybe. But there's competition.
Yeah Petey is great but he’s no Messier.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:13 AM   #63
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
5th highest cap hit in the league...I don't think its a steal like some of you seem to
Is he going to get 100 points year in year out?

Seems like the going rate but I don't think he left much if anything on the table
Cap hit in a vacuum isn’t fair to compare. You have to look at % of the cap when the deal was signed. The cap is higher now than it was when Tavares signed for $11m. Petterson in year 6 of his contract will probably be a lower % of the cap than someone like Patrick Kane in year 6 of his 8 year deal.

I think this is gonna be a great contract.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:20 AM   #64
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I were them but its not some steal...Just because some idiots in the media were leaking some ridiculously high numbers people think its a great deal. A few months ago the Canucks were a longshot for the playoffs, now they are cup contenders for years to come? IDK, lets see how the playoffs go and then next season.
Anytime you can sign a guy who is entering his 26 year old year and he has what looks like will be back to back 100 point seasons for around 12% of the cap and dropping to probably 9-10% of the cap by year 8 it is a great contract. I suspect he averages 90+ points a year for the duration of the contract.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #65
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Based on your comments on Huberdeau not having that bad a contract once the cap goes up, this looks great.
Canucks being garbage last year has more to do with d core and coaching than forwards.
I'm not a big fan of the Canucks but I'm also not so blinded by homer glasses that I can recognize they are doing it right since Rutherford took over.
Miller and Hughes on great contracts, Petterson's is good and if Hronek comes in under Hughes number they look set up for future. Will have issues fitting on Boeser but having so many players performing well is an issue I wish the Flames had.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #66
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at 3 posts in a row responding to Dino.
He has a shtick to uphold; save your time. This isn't about logic or cap structure for him.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #67
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Lol at 3 posts in a row responding to Dino.
He has a shtick to uphold; save your time. This isn't about logic or cap structure for him.
True, he didn't #### on it so that's as good as your going to get for a reaction to another teams signing.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren't even reading I never even said it was bad I literally said it was the going rate. I was also agreeing with the last post on the previous page.

If you guys love it that's great, it hasn't even started yet though. Also I don't remember saying the Huberdeau contract was good?? Maybe when it was signed and he was coming off 115.

People thought Nylander was high but it was less money and they have near identical stats...I also question this player in the playoffs. Vancouver is a .500 team since the deadline, are they perennial cup contenders or are they last year's team?? Probably somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-03-2024 at 11:03 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:06 AM   #69
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the NHL does what it has always done when they renegotiate the CBA and gives the teams a free buyout or two to put extra money in the players pockets as compensation for what the players lost in the CBA negotiations the Flames will be fine. The Flames can buyout Huberdeau then which coincides with when the Flames should be competitive again.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:14 AM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

What has VAN accomplished, with Petterson as their best player?

I mean, the contract is fine, based on points over the last 1.5 seasons, but I wouldn't call $11.6M a bargain
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #71
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I mean, the contract is fine, based on points over the last 1.5 seasons, but I wouldn't call $11.6M a bargain
Oh I don't think it's a bargain, I though it would start with a 12 though and if it was going to be 13 I would have shipped him to the canes in a heartbeat.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #72
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I'm not even sure he is their best player, Miller looks better right now. Maybe Hughes too.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:22 AM   #73
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Oh I don't think it's a bargain, I though it would start with a 12 though and if it was going to be 13 I would have shipped him to the canes in a heartbeat.
Lol so why are you attacking me exactly? All I said is it wasn't some steal like others were saying. 5th highest cap hit in the league is plenty fair.

Media leaks 12M
Player takes .5 less
What a steal

Tale as old as time, ask the Oilers
Old 03-03-2024, 11:23 AM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not even sure he is their best player, Miller looks better right now. Maybe Hughes too.
Miller is having a great year but I am not a huge fan. Right now, you'd have to say Hughes is their best player.

More reason why I don't think Petterson is worth that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #75
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think anyone thinks the contract is a steal but recognize he likely could have got more. If he's still producing at a similar level in 4 or 5 years maybe it looks like a steal.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #76
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Lol so why are you attacking me exactly? All I said is it wasn't some steal like others were saying. 5th highest cap hit in the league is plenty fair.

Media leaks 12M
Player takes .5 less
What a steal

Tale as old as time, ask the Oilers
Point taken, woke up annoyed at a bike shop and had to argue with something
Old 03-03-2024, 02:44 PM   #77
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Point taken, woke up annoyed at a bike shop and had to argue with something
Why were you sleeping at a bike shop?
Old 03-03-2024, 05:04 PM   #78
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wat!
If the salary cap continues to increase in the next few years and teams are willing to spend the money I could easily have envisioned Pettersson going to a market like LA or Anaheim for max dollars. He has a very unique skill set that makes him highly attractive and for a young number one center the last time one hit the market was with Tavares and he has a cap hit percentage of 13.85%... and that was with him taking a hometown discount. Is it unreasonable to think that Pettersson would get a similar value

That being said I don't think that is how a winning team is built, just what I think he could get in an open market if he walked himself to free agency.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:08 PM   #79
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

11.6 for a guy called skinny pete? Atleast he has Youth on his side.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:52 PM   #80
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pete is no unicorn like Tkachuk and he costs 2 mil more.

It's not a "steal". Its fair, but necessary for the Canucks. That's it.

This is no Lindholm/Hanifin <5 mil cap hits which actually were steals.

Draisaitl's is much closer to steal territory, but I'd still call it just good to very good.

For a hundred point skill guy, 11.6 is... ehh.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote