Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2023, 12:50 PM   #61
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
For those of you that use concrete nails as tent spikes - Tell me more. I broke/bent a few of mine a couple of days ago. I’ve see some at cabelas that have a small plastic tab on the top, are those the ones? Or are they just straight up large construction spikes?

Edit: the post above are the ones I’ve seen. They had them at cabelas a couple of weeks back for 88c a piece but I can’t seem to find that deal anymore.
I think in many cases, you can pull off the old plastic piece on the ####ty nail and stick it on the concrete nail.

I suddenly unlocked an old hardware store memory of my dad paying for a couple dozen concrete nails and 1-2 other large bent nails. My dad had bent them with his hands to test which ones he wanted to go with. When inquired by the confused cashier, he was insistent that he pay for the product he had damaged himself (which I think was like an extra $0.60 to $0.80 total at the time 20 years ago or whatever it was).

The campsite we used to go to often had rocky ground, so he wanted to make sure it wouldn't fold up like a paper clip when subject to being hammered into the ground. That way the nails would not subject him to my mom's ire again. I recall we'd occasionally abandon nails by hammering them further in when we couldn't extract them out of the sandstone or shale or whatever root we had hammered them into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I bought an Ecoflow River Pro and a solar panel (160W) this year to power an electric cooler and run devices. It's not at all cheap, if your spot is overly shaded it can run out over a weekend, and there's a lot more management of it required than I anticipated. It's great to have and I love it, but it's pricey and involved to venture beyond standard battery banks.

If charging devices is all you need, I think buying a bunch of little banks and charging them pre-trip is probably the best bet. Charging them there via solar might be a bit of a hassle.
Heh, stupid story about management of solar powered power bank.

My mom has a power bank with solar panel on one side.
"DoubleF, look at my power bank. Can you check to see why my power bank is still at half when it has been charging all afternoon on the picnic table?"

*Wanders over to table to find solar panel face down on table*

"Mom, did you flip the power bank over when you went to check it?"
"No, I didn't. But it doesn't matter because the solar power is on both sides, right?"
"... just in case, let's test the other side to see if it works better"

She did the same thing a few hours later leaving it in the back window of the car to charge.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #62
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep a russic in my rucksack!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #63
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For those of you that use concrete nails as tent spikes - Tell me more. I broke/bent a few of mine a couple of days ago. I’ve see some at cabelas that have a small plastic tab on the top, are those the ones? Or are they just straight up large construction spikes?

Edit: the post above are the ones I’ve seen. They had them at cabelas a couple of weeks back for 88c a piece but I can’t seem to find that deal anymore.
I just wrapped up a massive roadtrip with daily tent setup/teardown. I used concrete nails from Home Depot (ones meant for construction), didn't bend any and they went in every time. The hardest ground was at a park near vancouver where the surface was (to the eye anyway) a 50/50 gravel/dirt mix. I had to swing the hammer pretty hard to get them to go in, but they did. To pull them out I tugged on them at a perpendicular angle and then it was fairly straight forward to remove.

Google photo of the ground in question: https://tinyurl.com/57k9j8zu

Last edited by RoadGame; 08-03-2023 at 02:09 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2023, 02:24 PM   #64
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
I just wrapped up a massive roadtrip with daily tent setup/teardown. I used concrete nails from Home Depot (ones meant for construction), didn't bend any and they went in every time. The hardest ground was at a park near vancouver where the surface was (to the eye anyway) a 50/50 gravel/dirt mix. I had to swing the hammer pretty hard to get them to go in, but they did. To pull them out I tugged on them at a perpendicular angle and then it was fairly straight forward to remove.

Google photo of the ground in question: https://tinyurl.com/57k9j8zu
Looks like some of what we used to camp on, but bigger chunks of occasional rock and sawed off trunks and tree roots to navigate.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #65
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you tap those big nails on the side of the head, causing a slight vibration, they will pull out easier.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #66
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
We have had those same ones for over 15 years. Quite a few places here in Vernon sell them individually, if you can’t find any and want some just let me know.
Thanks for the offer Lumby, I managed to find them at Bass Pro, they just weren’t listed on the website.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #67
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A trick I was recently told: pre make breakfast sandwiches.

I cooked the egg and ham then placed on English muffin with cheese. Wrap in foil and freeze.

In the morning build your fire and then warm up the package on the coals.

It has worked pretty well for me so far.

You can do this with burritos/fajitas/wraps, too. Marinate some chicken breast or thigh strips, cook them on a skillet for a few minutes, roll with cheese and beans, individually wrap in foil, freeze.

Things like lettuce or tomatoes don't freeze that well, though, but you can add those right before eating.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:50 PM   #68
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Campfire breakfast is one of my favourite camping traditions though, I can see how it would be convenient pre making breakfast sandwiches but I love eggs and bacon made over a fire.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #69
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I just got out of Yellowstone park. Was woefully unprepared for the 3 straight days of heavy downpour. Granted this wasn't in the forecast as of Monday.... Lacked a secondary shelter to cover the cooking area, and ropes/ladder to tie up a second tarp to provide shelter. Also do not have a high end all weather tent so on day 3 the outer edges were pretty wet and starting to seep into the tent. Cut that short and bit the bullet on a place in Gardiner for the last two days to stay dry.

If anyone enjoys setting up a tent in a downpour kudos to you! I was somewhat fortunate in picking breaks where the rain was light to do this bit still got soaked and filthy.

So if anyone has some ideas as to how to make camping in a tent when it's 10 degrees and raining nearly non stop I'd like to hear those.

If anyone is looking to go there and camp, I'd recommend setting up at Canyon village and just staying there. I started at Madison and moved to Canyon and in hindsight that was a mistake. Would have got more siteseeing in had I just set up once.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:58 AM   #70
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you use for softer ground to keep you tent anchored in the wind?

Camping a week ago and it was a perfect calm day with a slight breeze to help keep a person a bit cool in the sun. Suddenly a dust devil came whirling through the camp site and it picked up our sun canopy. My wife's instinct was to grab it so it wouldn't fly away but she was thrown 10 feet with the canopy. She was fine, just had a massive bruise on her arm when she crashed down on a camp cot.

The side of the canopy that lifted was soft and it was easy for the pegs to come out. I'd like to keep that from happening again. I bought the same canopy again so hopefully I can make this one last more than three years and protect it from the wind.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:02 AM   #71
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have another camping safety hack.

Pool noodles!

I put them over the tent ropes so people can actually see them and not trip over the darned ropes. This was easier than constantly reminding the kids and myself to not walk so close to their tent.

I also used them around the front end of my 5th wheel to give myself a soft bumper for when I bump my head taking a shortcut under there.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 07:44 AM   #72
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

Camping a week ago and it was a perfect calm day with a slight breeze to help keep a person a bit cool in the sun. Suddenly a dust devil came whirling through the camp site and it picked up our sun canopy. My wife's instinct was to grab it so it wouldn't fly away but she was thrown 10 feet with the canopy. She was fine, just had a massive bruise on her arm when she crashed down on a camp cot.

The side of the canopy that lifted was soft and it was easy for the pegs to come out. I'd like to keep that from happening again. I bought the same canopy again so hopefully I can make this one last more than three years and protect it from the wind.

Caravan canopy have bags for the legs you fill with sand.

https://www.caravancanopy.com/produc...bags-set-of-4/
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #73
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had several sets of pegs for different ground types; one set was spade-shaped for soft/sandy soil. Canadian Tire or Camping World years ago.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:08 AM   #74
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I just got out of Yellowstone park. Was woefully unprepared for the 3 straight days of heavy downpour. Granted this wasn't in the forecast as of Monday.... Lacked a secondary shelter to cover the cooking area, and ropes/ladder to tie up a second tarp to provide shelter. Also do not have a high end all weather tent so on day 3 the outer edges were pretty wet and starting to seep into the tent. Cut that short and bit the bullet on a place in Gardiner for the last two days to stay dry.

If anyone enjoys setting up a tent in a downpour kudos to you! I was somewhat fortunate in picking breaks where the rain was light to do this bit still got soaked and filthy.

So if anyone has some ideas as to how to make camping in a tent when it's 10 degrees and raining nearly non stop I'd like to hear those.

If anyone is looking to go there and camp, I'd recommend setting up at Canyon village and just staying there. I started at Madison and moved to Canyon and in hindsight that was a mistake. Would have got more siteseeing in had I just set up once.
Gah that sucks. We were there the week prior and it was just scorching hot. Uncomfortable, but I'd prefer it to constant rain.

Three days of constant downpour will test most tents just because the ground will become a sponge. I don't think there exists a way to enjoy setting up a tent in the rain, and if you did it twice, that's double the fun. In the past we have put up a tarp first and setup under that, but nothing is perfect.

A secondary shelter for cooking or to put over a fire is just one of those things I find necessary. I used to just create a tarp city because I find that kinda fun, but eventually I hit a situation like yours (tons of unexpected) and opted for a $200 popup shelter from amazon. It's reaching the end of its life cycle (sparks have put small holes in it so it drips), but damn if it didn't hold up really well over the past 5-7 years.

I really liked Madison but I see why you moved. Canyon is closer to actual shops if you require them, and after 3 days of rain, you'd need them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 04:38 PM   #75
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got this recently for our Expedition. Used it this weekend, works fabulously. We've done quite a lot of weekend "camping" trips with the truck since we got the Expedition, as sizewise, it works just right for when just the Mr & I want to disappear for a weekend/few days. We just needed something for air movement, etc - and this fits the bill really well.

We may get 1 or 2 of these too, for more air flow.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #76
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Gah that sucks. We were there the week prior and it was just scorching hot. Uncomfortable, but I'd prefer it to constant rain.
Yeah it's crazy how on Tuesday it was like 35/36 at the Grand Prismatic spring. Thursday morning it's 11 degrees and there was maybe 1 hour all day where there wasn't any rain falling after 5:30. Did get about a 3 hour break on Friday to see the Grand Canyon but on my way to the Artists viewpoint in the aftrrnoon felt like I nearly got washed off the road. At least on the hot days it does cool at night so you can sleep.

Quote:
I really liked Madison but I see why you moved. Canyon is closer to actual shops if you require them, and after 3 days of rain, you'd need them.
Showers and laundry were a major reason too. My wife goes nuts if she goes a day without showering. The mid trip swap was planned as I wanted to set up at Canyon, see the Grand Canyon one day, than the Lamar Valley the next, and Mammoth and the North on the way out. But with the rain I lost a good day and a half of site seeing. Oh well I guess I have an excuse to go back and see what I missed.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:51 AM   #77
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

There's these corkscrew ones you can acquire. IIRC, they often come with canopies or items designed for use on sandy beaches. I think on shelters that you are also supposed to use the cord to also anchor those shelters in multiple areas, so in soft ground you are also supposed to pull the cord to something hard and tie or nail it there as well? (ie: Tree, stump, root etc.) But identifying those scenarios isn't always easy.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=corkscrew+...l_3120eqxi0q_e

Weighing it down only goes so far. I watched some random clip of a whole bunch of people using their bodies to weigh down these shelters early in a storm, and a sudden gust of wind lifted what looked like an 8x8 shelter with 4 decent sized guys hanging on it and one dude unfortunately got pulled up 20-30 feet in the air vs his friends who got shaken off almost immediately. Conservatively assuming an average of 150 pounds per guy, the wind still turned the shelter into a kite and picked up 600 pounds of human like it was nothing. If the wind really gets going, using human bodies is completely not recommended. Those things could quickly turn into a not fun DIY parasailing adventure to the ER. Glad to hear your wife is OK. In an act of desperation, maybe tie the canopy to your car tires, but definitely don't rely on human weight. Just let the thing go where the wind blows.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #78
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really camping hack related but has anyone made reservations at NPS campgrounds this past summer? Is there any advice or tricks on getting a spot?

We haven't reserved anything through NPS since Covid hit and the summer 2020 was supposed to be our big road trip to Zion and area plus Carlsbad Caverns. I'm finally planning the makeup trip for July or August 2024 to Zion, Bryce, maybe the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad. At Zion we like the Watchman campground in the park and it looks like reservations are available 6 months prior. Is there anything to know about their system that would help get a spot? For example with Parks Alberta you can book for two weeks so in theory you can jump the opening date by booking the earlier days and then cancelling those early days.

Additionally, if anyone has been to Zion recently how easy is it to get an Angel's Landing hike permit? I see that it is lottery based but I haven't researched the process at all. Our last trip down there did not require a permit for Angel's Landing.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #79
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

One little tip similar to the concrete nails hack - I find bringing a mini sledge hammer to pound in stakes / concrete nails makes a world of difference vs a normal hammer.

Something like this from Home Depot for $30:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tuf...dle/1001638568
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:39 PM   #80
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Does anybody have a link to what they have bought for these concrete nails? I keep looking online and I can't find them; as they are probably called something else.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote