Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2022, 02:03 PM   #61
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
If the could squeeze a quarter billion out of the limited amount they licensed to Amazon, I imagine the estate will be raking in another billion + in future for remaining rights if this show is a success.
While true, the problem is that the writers literally are not allowed to use something they don't have the rights too.

Which means they cannot talk about the Kinslaying, or even reference Beleriand on a map or talk about the War of Wrath.

Sauron, who is going to be a major character, played a major part of the War of Wrath and Middle East being destroyed, and Elrond was around during the Kinslaying, which would explain his 'I have seen my share' comment, even though the writers can't actually talk about what he has seen.

I personally don't think it'll take away from the show, but the purists are being disingenuous by not admitting that it is not Amazon's fault they have massive restrictions to work with.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #62
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s really too bad the Estate didn’t sell the rights to Silmarillion content, but they did to the appendices that reference Silmarillion content heavily.

Again I’m a purist, but it’s time Estate guys. This #### was written 100 years ago. Let it go, sell it for a gazillion dollars and let new creative people take it to the next level.

There is some serious good TV to be had if you tell the story of Turin Turambar or Beren and Luthien.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It’s really too bad the Estate didn’t sell the rights to Silmarillion content, but they did to the appendices that reference Silmarillion content heavily.

Again I’m a purist, but it’s time Estate guys. This #### was written 100 years ago. Let it go, sell it for a gazillion dollars and let new creative people take it to the next level.

There is some serious good TV to be had if you tell the story of Turin Turambar or Beren and Luthien.
1. I have no idea WTF this even is.

2. Screw that! Just plagiarize the hell out of it! They've had 100 years of exclusivity, just go to town!

"Now Galadriel can fly. What're you going to do about it? Dwarves smell like Cinnamon Buns. Fight me!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
1. I have no idea WTF this even is.

2. Screw that! Just plagiarize the hell out of it! They've had 100 years of exclusivity, just go to town!

"Now Galadriel can fly. What're you going to do about it? Dwarves smell like Cinnamon Buns. Fight me!"

Turin is a crazy ass story of a guy who’s family is cursed by Morgoth (OG dark lord) and he gets into all sorts of hilarious shenanigans including accidentally murdering his best friend, having his parents brutally dying, unknowingly has sex with his sister and kills a dragon, you know, that old chestnut.

Beren and Luthien are a love story of a man and elf and he sacrifices all to win the Lady. Loses his hand in the process. But wins a Silmarillion.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Turin is a crazy ass story of a guy who’s family is cursed by Morgoth (OG dark lord) and he gets into all sorts of hilarious shenanigans including accidentally murdering his best friend, having his parents brutally dying, unknowingly has sex with his sister and kills a dragon, you know, that old chestnut.

Beren and Luthien are a love story of a man and elf and he sacrifices all to win the Lady. Loses his hand in the process. But wins a Silmarillion.
Indeed. These things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #66
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out the book Children of Hurin. Deals with all this subject matter it’s pretty good.

Bonus if you do the audiobook it’s performed by none other than Sir Christopher Lee.

I could literally listen to that man read the dictionary.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #67
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Went in with low expectations, came away incredibly bored and underwhelmed.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #68
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only lore-breaking thing that I find actually problematic is dropping an Istari down in the middle of the second age, which suggests the Valar are already taking the threat of Sauron really seriously, which IMO defeats the main thematic point of the second age, of Elves and Men using their combined strengths to defeat a major enemy without the assistance of the Valar.

Beyond that, I'm pretty satisfied with the series so far. Like indes said, I'm just happy to be back in Middle Earth, and IMO they got the feel of it pretty right, which is the most important thing.

Also, regarding Galadriel swimming across the ocean, she definitely didn't. She would likely know that the isle of Numenor isn't far from where she abandoned the elvish boat (one could see Tol Eressea, the first island off the shore of Valinor, from the top of Numenor). Swimming in that direction was easily her best chance of rescue, whether it's reaching Numenor herself or getting found by a Numenorian boat. If anything it's less plausible that a ragtag group of humans from the southlands were able to sail a ship so far to the west.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #69
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know it's an Istari?
Old 09-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #70
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do we know it's an Istari?
My first thought seeing how he acted was that it is Radagast.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #71
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The only lore-breaking thing that I find actually problematic is dropping an Istari down in the middle of the second age, which suggests the Valar are already taking the threat of Sauron really seriously, which IMO defeats the main thematic point of the second age, of Elves and Men using their combined strengths to defeat a major enemy without the assistance of the Valar.

Beyond that, I'm pretty satisfied with the series so far. Like indes said, I'm just happy to be back in Middle Earth, and IMO they got the feel of it pretty right, which is the most important thing.

Also, regarding Galadriel swimming across the ocean, she definitely didn't. She would likely know that the isle of Numenor isn't far from where she abandoned the elvish boat (one could see Tol Eressea, the first island off the shore of Valinor, from the top of Numenor). Swimming in that direction was easily her best chance of rescue, whether it's reaching Numenor herself or getting found by a Numenorian boat. If anything it's less plausible that a ragtag group of humans from the southlands were able to sail a ship so far to the west.
Were the Blue Wizards not involved with fighting Sauron in the second age? I know not a lot is said about them, but I'm pretty sure Tolkien made mention to that specific point.

But valid point.

Your take on her swimming to Numenor is interesting as well. In the second age she was over 5000 years old already, and likely would have been very familiar with that area. Also, Numenor would have had a massive amount of ship traffic, so it does make sense that she would have been found.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #72
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Were the Blue Wizards not involved with fighting Sauron in the second age? I know not a lot is said about them, but I'm pretty sure Tolkien made mention to that specific point.

But valid point.

Your take on her swimming to Numenor is interesting as well. In the second age she was over 5000 years old already, and likely would have been very familiar with that area. Also, Numenor would have had a massive amount of ship traffic, so it does make sense that she would have been found.
Maybe I’m wrong about it, but I thought all of the Istari arrived early in the third age as a defense against Sauron ever regaining his former power and influence.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:10 PM   #73
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Maybe I’m wrong about it, but I thought all of the Istari arrived early in the third age as a defense against Sauron ever regaining his former power and influence.
I read at some point Tolkien ret-conned the blue wizards as arriving during the 2nd age, the rest came in the 3rd.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #74
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West. —"Last Writings", The Peoples of Middle-earth
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Blue_Wizards

Personally I think the it is one of the Blue Wizards. Mostly because Tolkien didn't develop their storyline at all, and therefore the writers have a lot of freedom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #75
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My first thought seeing how he acted was that it is Radagast.
Are you just speculating, or are these book spoilers? Because if the latter, shut the #### up.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #76
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Are you just speculating, or are these book spoilers? Because if the latter, shut the #### up.
Came to mind from what was shown in the Hobbit with him. But ya, I was waiting for that turnabout!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #77
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol. I think the blackout period on spoilers for material that old has passed anyways. Especially when this is such a loose adaptation. But it did make me laugh a little.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I was initially thinking..."Can there even be Spoilers?"

Old 09-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #79
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s far too early to write the entire series off. So far I’d give it about a 6/10. I’ll ride out the first season, as only 2 episodes in it’s unfair to judge the entire thing so far.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:49 PM   #80
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waiting for the episode.3 drop so I can consume 3 hours straight of it. Like the good lord intended.