Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #61
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Mike Cammalleri for a 1st round to Boston
Alex Tanguay for a 1st rounder to Pittsburgh
Tanguay may get you later first rounder, but I don't see Cammalleri fetching that kind of value. But boy would I be dancing a jig if we did.

Throw Kipper and Iginla into the mix, and we could have some serious picks in this draft.

If only management had the balls to do it.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-03-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #62
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Mike Cammalleri for a 1st round to Boston
Alex Tanguay for a 1st rounder to Pittsburgh
Jackman, Begin, Comeaus for 5-7th rounders etc

I think those are two guys that can both get us a 1st from a desperate team at the deadline and a good way to both lose cap and pick up some more picks.

If the Flames keep bumbling along I'm really hoping to see some trades like these.

This franchise really needs to go into this draft with a bunch of picks, and it would be especially nice if they had five or six of the first 60 picks of the draft.

Short season, deep draft, already near the bottom of the standings, lots of skilled wingers putting up good offensive numbers.

Can't think of a better time to do a quick reload, cut some fat/payroll off the roster and insert some really nice pieces into the prospect pool.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #63
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
So, you're predicting Kipper to Chicago for their first rounder?

The Blues could use kipper, their goal tending has been shaky lately. But I think kipper retires a champion and a flame.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #64
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I haven't seen enough of any of the players personally to know who is best, but all I care is that they stay away from any Russians with their 1st pick. Way too much of a gamble these days with the KHL around and this new generation getting whiny/home-sick after a few years. Just say no to Nichushkin and Barkov (even if he is supposedly Finnish). I would've passed on Yakupov for the same reason... I'd bet a sizable amount on him being an ex-Oiler by 25, and out of the NHL by 30.

2nd round and on....sure take, the gamble.
I don't want to touch your argument, but Barkov is as Finnish as Kipper is. I don't know where this "supposedly" comes from. You wouldn't call someone whose parents came to Canada from Korea "supposedly" Canadian.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #65
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The franchise could make a big swing for the future in this draft.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #66
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/

They both have over 8M in full season cap space available.
Yeah they are able to go up to 70.2 or what have you, but doesn't it prorate for the next year?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #67
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If they trade the 1st for a player under the age of 24 who is also a center, then i'm alright with it. Anything other than that and bricks will be ####.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #68
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Yeah they are able to go up to 70.2 or what have you, but doesn't it prorate for the next year?
I don't know what this means. Boston has 7.1M dollars in cap space available for next year and Pittsberg has over 10M. There is no need for either of them to shift salary around... that's not to say that they might not want to send some back but strictly in terms of cap compliance it's not a requirement.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
If we're in that range I'd rather draft Gauthier. Huge 2 way center putting up good numbers this year.
Good numbers... yes, but that's all they are. He's putting up "just" good numbers on a really really potent team (he's 6th in team scoring). That sounds really Nemisz-ish to me. Compare that to Domi who leads his team in scoring (at a significantly higher per game rate then Gauthier). The size is nice and if the flames somehow end up drafting around 20ish I'd be in favor of taking him but there should be significantly better potential players at 10-15.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #70
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no better year for an organization to reload. I hope we pick up at least another 1st rounder this year, and a couple of 2nds. Flames still have a lot of players on the roster to make it a quick turnaround.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #71
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the salary cap isn't down to 64m? Man this is confusing me. I thought the cap was 64, but teams could spend 70.2 but it would prorate for next year, so they would have to be that much under the cap...

How far out to lunch on this am I?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #72
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
They made it so whoever wins the lottery moves to 1st overall. They just haven't adjusted the odds yet.

I'm on the Lindholm bandwagon all the way.

Number 19 in this video. Not just a flashy shootout goal highlight real either, actual play.

Lindholm seems to be a shifty little buggar, but my concern about him is his first step acceleration. He glides well after a few strides, but with his initial first couple steps he doesn't have good speed. I guess he can develop more leg strength with time, but I wouldn't put him in my top 5 yet.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #73
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So you would want him fired if he traded our 1st for Crosby or Stamkos?
Would the Pens or Lightning trade either of those players for our first pick. Didn't think so. Don't ask stupid questions.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #74
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I don't want to touch your argument, but Barkov is as Finnish as Kipper is. I don't know where this "supposedly" comes from. You wouldn't call someone whose parents came to Canada from Korea "supposedly" Canadian.
When someone is raised by Russian parents with Russian values, I consider them Russian to a good extent no matter what it says on their passport (btw, Barkov also has Russian citizenship). I think it takes at least 2 generations to transfer over to the new country mindset. I should know, I'm kind of in the same situation as Barkov...while I was raised in a Canadian environment since I was 6, it would be foolish to say that I'm not somewhat influenced by what my parents believe in and the ways of the old country.

Not saying Barkov is a bad person or anything, but with the way Russian players have been fleeing the NHL over the last few years, I'm pretty weary about gambling a potential Franchise-high pick on someone of Russian background in any way.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #75
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Would the Pens or Lightning trade either of those players for our first pick. Didn't think so. Don't ask stupid questions.
It wasn't a stupid question he asked it was just a means of demonstrating that your statement was silly... it's perfectly acceptable to trade your first round pick provided that the price is right and you provided absolutely no qualifier as to what was the right price... you just broadly demanded a firing under any situation that included a 1st round draft pick trade.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #76
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is no way Tanguay is bringing back a first round pick. I would say there is a decent chance he would clear waivers at this point. Teams don't want him with 4 years left on his deal

Cammy might get a late first but the Flames would need to take some salary back because he is not worth 7 million.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
So the salary cap isn't down to 64m? Man this is confusing me. I thought the cap was 64, but teams could spend 70.2 but it would prorate for next year, so they would have to be that much under the cap...

How far out to lunch on this am I?
Pretty sure that next year is a hard cap of $64.3M
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #78
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This organization's prospect pool is lacking on defence, too, at least as far as offence from the blueline goes. Nurse & Pulock look interesting enough to take in the 4-12 slot. I don't know that Lindholm/Barkov should be a slam dunk in that range unless they're clearly the best player available.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #79
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
When someone is raised by Russian parents with Russian values, I consider them Russian to a good extent no matter what it says on their passport (btw, Barkov also has Russian citizenship). I think it takes at least 2 generations to transfer over to the new country mindset. I should know, I'm kind of in the same situation as Barkov...while I was raised in a Canadian environment since I was 6, it would be foolish to say that I'm not somewhat influenced by what my parents believe in and the ways of the old country.

Not saying Barkov is a bad person or anything, but with the way Russian players have been fleeing the NHL over the last few years, I'm pretty weary about gambling a potential Franchise-high pick on someone of Russian background in any way.
I think there are some ugly undertones when you go beyond Russian hockey and start talking about Russian "values" and "mindset" in a negative context. I don't see that as different than saying that someone whose parents came from Korea isn't fully Canadian. Besides, you're wrong about cultural transfer, or whatever you call it - kids pick up the culture of their peers.

Don't take this as any kind of defense of Barkov, the implication being that being Russian is something negative that needs to be defended against. I just don't like how it sounds when you talk about him being "supposedly" Finnish as if he's tainted by his heritage somehow.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #80
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was only Barkov's dad who was russian and his mother is from Finland.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote