Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #61
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
sorry totally off topic, but why don't you wear a belt?
Having read some if his posts, you would realize why...
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #62
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold25 View Post
So it is your position that there is an inherent risk in owning a dog and not that dogs with good owners are completely safe?
More or less, every story you hear about a mauling, the dog was never mean and always nice. Never showed any behavior like mauling, or being aggressive.

I think sometimes animals act like animals, its rare, but its not entirely the owners fault all the time.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
Dr_Hook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was bit by a dog about 2 years ago, it was a Labrador, it sometimes has noting to do with breed. I was out rollerblading with my Lab at the time and the other one decided to attack out of nowhere. It was an older Lab, probably about 7-10 years old, and had no history of attacks, I did find out from the owner though that it was run over by a skateboard as a puppy and hates anything on wheels.

The thing about the whole situation is the dog was on a stretch leash and the owner had no control. Sometimes dogs can snap for no reason, this one maybe because it was older and starting to lose its mind, I have no idea. But the point is your dog should always be under control unless in a designated dog park. Stretch leashes do not allow control and should be banned in my opinion, it is no different then being off leash. My dog is always on a short leash when near other people, not because I'm affraid he will do something, he is the most gentle dog around, but because other people are not always comfortable around dogs, so I do my best to keep them comfortable. I have had people rather walk down the middle of the street in traffic than pass me and my dog on the sidewalk, some people are just terrified of dogs and as an owner you need to respect that.

In the end I was ok, just ended up with two large and deep punctures in my forearm. I tore a strip off the owner and then went through the full process of reporting the dog and having the owner fined, this was a case where the owner needed to be taught a leson about keeping her dog under control. What if I was a kid going by on rollerblades, skateboard or a bike, it could have been much worse. Plus this way the dog has it on record and if it attacks again it may be terminated.

The worst part, a couple of months later I saw the owner out with the dog and still on a stretch leash. Moral of this story is your dog should always be under control in public and stretch leashes do not give you control, it is about the owner not the breed of dog.
Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_Hook For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #64
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see people be criminally responsible for their dogs action. Your dogs kill someone you are charged with manslaughter. Your dogs bite someone you are charged with assault.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #65
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Old Yeller wants to muzzle children, how 'bout that.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #66
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would like to see people be criminally responsible for their dogs action. Your dogs kill someone you are charged with manslaughter. Your dogs bite someone you are charged with assault.
Sure as long as people are criminally responsible for their kids as well.

Also along your line of thinking, you're cat shats in my garden, you get charged with gross indecency. It toys with a bird in my yard before killing it, you get charged with animal cruelty.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #67
Champion
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dog should be put down. End of story. LOL at fines.
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #68
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Dog should be put down. End of story. LOL at fines.
pretty sure both occur in these situations
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #69
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post

Also along your line of thinking, you're cat shats in my garden, you get charged with gross indecency. It toys with a bird in my yard before killing it, you get charged with animal cruelty.
Ugh.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #70
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Dogs get euthanized all the time for assaults though, I'd rather see people just be more responsible overall. I do agree with the increased fines.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #71
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The argument whenever there is dog bites or breed ban discussion is that it is not the breed it is the owner. I agree with this. So good owners are not punished by being held criminaly responsible. Irresponible owners are punished. My thought is that there is no such thing as an accidental dog bite, it is always a negligent owner.(although you may argue that a kid poking a dog with a stick and getting bit deserves it and i would tend to agree).

In regards to your kids argument, although stupid and ridiculous, i would agree with you that parents should be criminally responsible for all crimes there kids commit until the age where the children beome criminally responsible, I believe at age 12.

It also wouldnt be gross indecency as we allow animals to deficate in public under current bylaws however i would agree with a littering conviction.

Last edited by GGG; 06-13-2012 at 08:49 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #72
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Basically you'd be making it so that to own a dog you have to have $10,000 sitting around that you'd be willing to part with (given that I don't believe an owner can 100% prevent an animal from biting - at least not if it's going to walk past other people). That seems excessive to me.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #73
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I've said this in other similar threads, dogs are not equal to humans.

No matter how many sweaters you buy it, or doggie hair stylists you take it to.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #74
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Of course they aren't. Euthanize the majority of humans if they shoot or stab someone and the population of hoodlums would be less as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #75
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I was bit by a dog about 2 years ago, it was a Labrador, it sometimes has noting to do with breed. I was out rollerblading with my Lab at the time and the other one decided to attack out of nowhere. It was an older Lab, probably about 7-10 years old, and had no history of attacks, I did find out from the owner though that it was run over by a skateboard as a puppy and hates anything on wheels.

The thing about the whole situation is the dog was on a stretch leash and the owner had no control. Sometimes dogs can snap for no reason, this one maybe because it was older and starting to lose its mind, I have no idea. But the point is your dog should always be under control unless in a designated dog park. Stretch leashes do not allow control and should be banned in my opinion, it is no different then being off leash. My dog is always on a short leash when near other people, not because I'm affraid he will do something, he is the most gentle dog around, but because other people are not always comfortable around dogs, so I do my best to keep them comfortable. I have had people rather walk down the middle of the street in traffic than pass me and my dog on the sidewalk, some people are just terrified of dogs and as an owner you need to respect that.

In the end I was ok, just ended up with two large and deep punctures in my forearm. I tore a strip off the owner and then went through the full process of reporting the dog and having the owner fined, this was a case where the owner needed to be taught a leson about keeping her dog under control. What if I was a kid going by on rollerblades, skateboard or a bike, it could have been much worse. Plus this way the dog has it on record and if it attacks again it may be terminated.

The worst part, a couple of months later I saw the owner out with the dog and still on a stretch leash. Moral of this story is your dog should always be under control in public and stretch leashes do not give you control, it is about the owner not the breed of dog.
I'd have bitten you too! Rollerblading
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #76
Skootenbeeten
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If a dog attacks someone the owner should face being charged with assault. If you can't control your animal you should not own it or face all of the consequences.
Skootenbeeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #77
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

You're right, so why are people attaching punishments made for humans to their actions when they do something like bite someone?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #78
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Ugh.
Perfect...exactly what I think of most of your posts in any dog related thread.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #79
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootenbeeten View Post
If a dog attacks someone the owner should face being charged with assault. If you can't control your animal you should not own it or face all of the consequences.
Man charged with assault after allegedly sicking Rottweiler on Regina police
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #80
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I agree if you wield your dog as a weapon, charges of assault against the owner is fair.

Tags
attack , bite , dog , puppy