Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 09:55 PM   #61
YyjFlames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Interesting commentary about sources from an Athletic writer:

https://x.com/real_robrossi/status/1...MKKRt516SaF27A
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:57 PM   #62
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Decent haul of prospects for a team with empty cupboards. Have to start somewhere, 2nd round pick, 2 former 2nds and a former 4th all of who's numbers look decent.

Granted the cost for taking Bunting is included in there too
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:15 PM   #63
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I had to double check if I was in the Guentzel thread or the Hanifin thread.
65 guests in here should sign up as members
Old 03-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #64
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The interesting part is that Pittsburgh's prospect pool is so bad, and Carolina's is so good, that Carolina gave up only one top 10 (lucius being in the 8-10 range) prospect in their system, but all of these guys immediately jump to the top of Pittsburgh's pool.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:37 PM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember that time the Pens traded for EK and some posters thought it was ridiculously stupid because they are an old non playoff team and said posters got roasted?
Old 03-07-2024, 10:40 PM   #66
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
This is not a sellers market.

Conroy traded Lindholm at a fantastic time.
I think hubris from Rutherford can be attributed to that trade.

He and the GM were just extended the week before, so feeling good personally, team was on a roll, so feeling good professionally, and he wanted to show off for all his fellow execs at the all star weekend by making a splash with all the media there, and thus overpaid vs what he could've done now.

And, given the rumblings in Vancouver, likely he wouldn't be in the market for Lindy if he was still available tomorrow anyways.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:49 PM   #67
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Remember that time the Pens traded for EK and some posters thought it was ridiculously stupid because they are an old non playoff team and said posters got roasted?
It made sense for them to take one last kick at the can. I never thought they would miss the can like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

The wheels came off all at once on that team.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:51 PM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It made sense for them to take one last kick at the can. I never thought they would miss the can like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

The wheels came off all at once on that team.
EK always seemed like a ridiculous risk to me, especially for a first and 2nd. It was insane to think he was a 100 point dman after watching him play rover in SJ.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-07-2024 at 10:54 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:55 PM   #69
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
EK always seemed like a ridiculous risk to me, especially for a first and 2nd
I agree that they paid far too much for him, especially at that insane cap hit. In the Penguins' situation, I might have offered a 2nd for him and kept the 1st.

But no, they were determined to keep the band together, even if it meant paying through the nose for a session bass player.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:20 AM   #70
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally hockey players tend to stay out of dictating the GMs player decisions but for some reason Pittsburgh’s core keeps pushing for going for it. They’re obviously a very bad team overall and it seems selfish for banding together and dictating. Especially getting the coach involved. I love Crosby but his comments now saying I don’t know what message it sends by trading Guentzel, is such a passive aggressive way of saying he doesn’t agree. I wish the GM stuffed it to these guys. Their pushing for it got them in this position.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:29 AM   #71
Claes
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Normally hockey players tend to stay out of dictating the GMs player decisions but for some reason Pittsburgh’s core keeps pushing for going for it. They’re obviously a very bad team overall and it seems selfish for banding together and dictating. Especially getting the coach involved. I love Crosby but his comments now saying I don’t know what message it sends by trading Guentzel, is such a passive aggressive way of saying he doesn’t agree. I wish the GM stuffed it to these guys. Their pushing for it got them in this position.
Sounds almost like it would be time for Crosby to switch teams, if Penguins management is recognizing their windrow is closing, and Crosby wanting to go for the cup again. I mean, Gretzky was traded, it'd possible

Skickat från min SM-A526B via Tapatalk
Claes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:30 AM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
What did he say?......this is all i could find.

Quote:
“He’s a great player, great teammate, a friend,” Crosby said following a 6-0 home loss to the Washington Capitals on Thursday. “Did everything he possibly could in his time here. Just privileged to play with him for the course of that time. Some great memories. It was just a privilege, that’s all I can say.”
Old 03-08-2024, 05:34 AM   #73
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I struggle with the Liiga at times. It's a good league but I don't see it as being even close to the level of the SHL, for example. Koivunen is a nice piece and I think he could be an NHLer but I'd stop short of calling him a top guy.
I don't think this is right. The SHL is considered better generally (more depth) but not in a radical way. Top teams from each league are fairly evenly matched unless something has changed in the past five years or so.

I don't know anything about Koivunen but being PPG as a 20 year old in Liiga isn't anything to sneeze at. Finished top 5 in scoring.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:47 AM   #74
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What did he say?......this is all i could find.
Maybe it’s me reading the tea leaves after that damning article last year against the core and the coach getting together against Burke. Anyway, the score article with the quote:

Crosby wasn't yet sure of the message Penguins management sent to the team with the move.

"I don't know," he said. "That's probably a better question for them."

Which isn’t a lot on the surface but they put themselves in a tough position.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:09 AM   #75
Claes
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I don't think this is right. The SHL is considered better generally (more depth) but not in a radical way. Top teams from each league are fairly evenly matched unless something has changed in the past five years or so.
Here in Europe we have something called Champions Hockey League, where the top teams of the best leagues duke it out in a bracket-tree tournament parallel with the regular seasons of respective leagues. Swedish teams have dominated, winning 6/9 tournaments, and having a finalist in the non-winning tournaments. Based on that, I'd say the SHL (Swedish top league) is better than the FM-liiga (Finnish top league).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Claes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 06:14 AM   #76
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

SM-Liga has a similar NHL equivalency coefficient to the AHL.
A point per game in either league at 20 years old is quite good.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:17 AM   #77
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now those are conditions worth complaining about. Almost certainly only a 2nd going back.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:22 AM   #78
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claes View Post
Here in Europe we have something called Champions Hockey League, where the top teams of the best leagues duke it out in a bracket-tree tournament parallel with the regular seasons of respective leagues. Swedish teams have dominated, winning 6/9 tournaments, and having a finalist in the non-winning tournaments. Based on that, I'd say the SHL (Swedish top league) is better than the FM-liiga (Finnish top league).

SHL is considered better than Liiga, I don't know if the gap has widened in the last 5-10 years. But I wouldn't say thay "it's not even close" to the level SHL like Scorpion said.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:28 AM   #79
Claes
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
SHL is considered better than Liiga, I don't know if the gap has widened in the last 5-10 years. But I wouldn't say thay "it's not even close" to the level SHL like Scorpion said.
I agree, I don't think the margin is great.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:59 AM   #80
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's weird that all media sources are listing a conditional 1st in this trade and a conditional 3rd in the Hanifiin trade. The condition to make the Guentzel return a first is far less likely than Hanifin return a 2nd (Stanley cup finals appearance vs win one playoff round). They should both be called conditional 2nd round picks.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote