Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 04:09 AM   #61
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
But then they lose the 8 year deal advantage...Hanifin will likely sign with the team he goes to

St. Louis was going to get Tkachuk for nothing
Montreal was getting Huberdeau for nothing

remember

For the Panthers/Lightning either pay up or your rival has him for the next 8 years for example
And you don’t get him for the playoffs
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:32 AM   #62
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
He would have been traded already for that

Words around since summer is Conroy is not getting offered enough for Hanifin

Whatever enough means.

I think he goes for rental similar to Tanev at the wire.

2nd + prospect + a conditional pick
My guess is that there has been other teams that were willing to offer more or even that first but Hanifin just limited their options to just 2 teams. One option is if he's willing to do an extension to give the Flames a bit more options. Flames have been in Hanifins court I bet he does us a favor if we need to extend.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:11 AM   #63
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
My guess is that there has been other teams that were willing to offer more or even that first but Hanifin just limited their options to just 2 teams. One option is if he's willing to do an extension to give the Flames a bit more options. Flames have been in Hanifins court I bet he does us a favor if we need to extend.
I don’t see a player committing to somewhere for the next 8 years of his life because of some goodwill we built up. I know I wouldn’t
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:40 AM   #64
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I don’t see a player committing to somewhere for the next 8 years of his life because of some goodwill we built up. I know I wouldn’t
Wasn't it mentioned that his agent might have to get involved in an extension? At least that's what I got from the tweet or am I am I misunderstanding?
Old 03-01-2024, 08:08 AM   #65
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't it mentioned that his agent might have to get involved in an extension? At least that's what I got from the tweet or am I am I misunderstanding?
I think they meant agent would have to get involved to convince teams like Boston and Tampa that a sign and trade would be the best way to go for both parties. I get Boston not wanting to give up what little they have in prospects right now and waiting for him to be ufa to go after him. That said if he’s traded to another team he might not get to ufa.

IMO it’s going to be hard for agent to convince these teams to pony up for sign and trade. Most teams on his rumoured list have already spent a lot of draft capital and prospects in the last couple years. I believe he will be traded as a rental .

Last edited by kyuss275; 03-01-2024 at 08:11 AM.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:10 AM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seravalli this morning said the agents are saying to various buyers that Hanifin wouldn’t extend with them, which is undermining trade talks.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:13 AM   #67
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'd imagine some of those teams could care less, but they'll likely hold their best offers out until deadline day. I mean, he doesn't have to sign with them but if they're not on his NTC list then he can still be moved there.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:15 AM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'd imagine some of those teams could care less, but they'll likely hold their best offers out until deadline day. I mean, he doesn't have to sign with them but if they're not on his NTC list then he can still be moved there.
Yeah, it’s just that rental price is different than signed or even “probably will sign”.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:18 AM   #69
Toonage

Exp:

All things being equal, I'd still rather have a mid or marginally late 1st rounder this year than potentially a 1st 2 years from now. Though Boston's 1st next year may offset the Flames potentially losing their own.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:22 AM   #70
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Seravalli this morning said the agents are saying to various buyers that Hanifin wouldn’t extend with them, which is undermining trade talks.
Wasn't it rumored to be only two teams. If so that really puts the Flames in a tough spot. Both teams could just hold out
Old 03-01-2024, 08:28 AM   #71
Toonage

Exp:

Florida was mentioned previously as a destination he'd be willing to sign with. There is some hope I suppose.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:30 AM   #72
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just spit balling here but I think it would be between Florida, Tampa, Boston, New York Rangers and LA.

All attractive cities, all good teams and all have the need for his services.

As long as it isn't between 2 teams than the flames should get back something of value.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:31 AM   #73
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wasn't it rumored to be only two teams. If so that really puts the Flames in a tough spot. Both teams could just hold out
I’ve seen 2 rumoured lists for where hanifin would do a sign and trade. Boston, Florida and Tampa were on both lists. One list had devils and the other list had Vegas.

Don’t see Vegas trading for him. Everything I have read is that they want a top 6 forward. I can see why Boston and Tampa wouldn’t be interested in a sign and trade because they don’t want to deplete what little they have. Kinda leaves Florida by itself.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:31 AM   #74
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only way Conroy can mess this up is by not trading him at all. A sixth round pick is better than hanging on to a guy that can’t wait to leave, and won’t play for us after April 18.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:36 AM   #75
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like other teams are trying to take advantage of the Flames here, but man it also seems likely they really don't value Hanifin highly. He should have the value of a 1st++ even as a rental in a mediocre draft year.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:39 AM   #76
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
The only way Conroy can mess this up is by not trading him at all. A sixth round pick is better than hanging on to a guy that can’t wait to leave, and won’t play for us after April 18.
I would expect a full on riot at the Saddledome offices from this fanbase if he only got a 6th round pick. If I were Conroy and that's all that's being offered, I would kindly tell the other GMs out there to go fornicate themselves on principle alone.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:52 AM   #77
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving still hurting the Flames with the NTC's he handed out.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM   #78
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

If two three teams believe they're the favorites they are just going to keep those offers low and hold out. They pretty much know what the other teams offers likely are that doesn't bode well for the Flames. It was a little bit different with Tanev in the fold, because the Flames held more cards.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #79
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I could see hanafin going to Rangers and extending there.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #80
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Treliving still hurting the Flames with the NTC's he handed out.
I don’t think the ntc in the contract is the issue. The unwillingness for Hanifin to extend is acting as a ntc, in terms of getting a decent return.

Similar to Tkachuk where you had a select number of teams where Tkachuk would sign. Dissimilar in that he’s ufa and can walk for zip, limiting return as a rental.

Hope Conny can play the 2 (or hopefully more) teams off one another to maximize a return. Not holding my breath on this one. Conny will do his best but he is in a tough spot like a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post: