Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #61
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Very funny, on Howard the Duck. I actually just picked up issue #1 at a second hand store here in town, a little boxing around the edges. I can't watch the first Resident Evil without seeing Black Widow on screen, and you are forcing me to rewatch Gran Torino, because I don't remember it being that bad. Milla Johovich in that movie absolutely killed Scarlett Johansson for me.
Shockingly enough Gran Torino was well received by critics. It's a personal taste of mine I guess...the acting was laughably bad so I couldn't get passed that.

The overall positive sentiment towards that movie is a big head-scratcher for me
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #62
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Ender's Game.

Made the terrible mistake of PVRing it, and could only take 10 minutes of it before it was swiftly stopped and deleted.
Oh I forgot about this one. I made it through the whole thing simply because I loved the book and wanted a full comparison, but it's just bad. They rush through everything that made the book good, and when your lead actor simply can't act there's not much else that matters
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Shockingly enough Gran Torino was well received by critics. It's a personal taste of mine I guess...the acting was laughably bad so I couldn't get passed that.

The overall positive sentiment towards that movie is a big head-scratcher for me
It was well received because it was a good movie. I agree personal taste though but I thought it was a good movie. You thought Eastwood was bad in the movie?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #64
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It was well received because it was a good movie. I agree personal taste though but I thought it was a good movie. You thought Eastwood was bad in the movie?
Pretty much every actor beside's Eastwood was awful in that movie. It's pretty much exactly the performances you'd expect when you hire actors with no experience.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #65
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Only God Forgives was great movie. Definitely not a mainstream movie, and actually quite slow paced, but that kind of added to it. The police chief was great, as was his mother.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #66
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Pretty much every actor beside's Eastwood was awful in that movie. It's pretty much exactly the performances you'd expect when you hire actors with no experience.
That was the point. The "actors" were taken from real life with no acting experience to play the roles of the characters they were portraying.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #67
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
That was the point. The "actors" were taken from real life with no acting experience to play the roles of the characters they were portraying.
Fair enough, but I would have traded authenticity for actors who could capably fill a role. It was distracting and IMO completely took away from the movie.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #68
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Yeah, I think everyone understands why they did it. But it doesn't mean that the acting wasn't noticeably bad. Authenticity should only go so far.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think everyone understands why they did it. But it doesn't mean that the acting wasn't noticeably bad. Authenticity should only go so far.
It was an interesting experiment, I am not sure why they felt compelled to do it though.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #70
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It was an interesting experiment, I am not sure why they felt compelled to do it though.
Maybe ummm.....because it made for a good movie that was very well received? There are a lot of very poor movies that I'm not sure how studios were compelled to film but that movie is definitely not one of them.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
What is this, movies that aren't my taste or an actual list of bad movies?

Everyone's list must include:

The Room
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Mac and Me (Made by McDonald's)
Troll 2
Tarzan the Ape Man

These are actual bad movies. If you haven't seen these then I suggest you have a bad movie party. Get drunk, and watch some horrendous entertainment.
Well...the title of the thread is 'Worst Movies you've ever seen.'

I've never even heard of most of those movies let alone actually seen them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #72
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe ummm.....because it made for a good movie that was very well received? There are a lot of very poor movies that I'm not sure how studios were compelled to film but that movie is definitely not one of them.
The "authentic casting" isn't why it was a good movie. It was a good movie because it was a decent story. Unfortunately the acting was legitimately distracting in its badness.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The "authentic casting" isn't why it was a good movie. It was a good movie because it was a decent story. Unfortunately the acting was legitimately distracting in its badness.
Again this is just your opinion that the bad acting was distracting as we are talking about a movie that was widely acclaimed. I've seen movies that were widely acclaimed that I didn't personally like but I can differentiate between what I don't like and what's simply awful which would have a place in a worst movie's list. I can understand a person not liking Gran Torino but putting it on an all time worst movie list shows how little you know about what a truly bad movie is.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #74
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Again this is just your opinion that the bad acting was distracting as we are talking about a movie that was widely acclaimed. I've seen movies that were widely acclaimed that I didn't personally like but I can differentiate between what I don't like and what's simply awful which would have a place in a worst movie's list. I can understand a person not liking Gran Torino but putting it on an all time worst movie list shows how little you know about what a truly bad movie is.
I tend to avoid bad movies altogether - you won't catch me watching Ender's Game, for example. I generally follow the critics with my movie selection so anything that's truly awful I won't watch, period. The exceptions are movies I was dragged to along with buddies (Resident Evil, Sucker Punch).

This thread is Top 5 movies you've ever seen...I could give you every Adam Sandler movie made over the last decade and they're worse than Gran Torino, but I couldn't be bothered to watch them. If that makes it so that I'm not an "expert" on bad movies then I'm pretty ok with that.

For me, for a movie that was so well acclaimed, GT was just so obviously lacking. Laughable dialogue and obviously the acting as mentioned, was awful. I love Clint Eastwood, but if anyone else had directed that film I think the critics would have been a lot harder on it.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #75
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only movie I have seen that I have truly hated was Where the Heart is. My wife can talk me into seeing a lot of movies that I don't really want to see but this is the one that I will never let her talk me into seeing.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #76
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a movie last night that may have been the worst movie I've ever seen.

Space hunter: adventures in the forbidden zone.
Molly ringwald was in it, it was just before 16 candles and pretty in pink etc.

Michael Ironsides is some kind of evil guy

I found a great trailer and even though it looks like a parody,,,It's real

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #77
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I remember seeing it as a kid. Even back then I knew it was ****. Still, Molly Ringwald in a science fiction shoot em up with no bra? I ate it up.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #78
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Spacehunter was the first 3D movie I ever saw, so it blew my mind when it came out.

As far as terrible movies, on successive weekends last month I saw two of the worst ever:

Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge out of Water
Fifty Shades of Grey

I'm now scared to go back to the movie theatre.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't remember the bad ones. Repressed memories?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #80
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've actually done a seriously good job of avoiding wasting hours of my time on garbage movies... the entire list is probably comprised of scary movies I had to watch because some girl wanted to, or dumb movies (scary movie) that someone else wanted to watch in a larger group. Few of which I've seen all of.

I honestly cannot make a list.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote