Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #61
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most people who use cocaine are not addicts. He could just be really dumb and reckless about using it in-season, instead of limiting it to the offseason like other NHLers.
Isn't this his third offence? That's not recklessness. At best it's sheer and utter stupidity but it seems this guy has a serious problem.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:44 AM   #62
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Yeah, I can’t stand them. Flashbacks of the junior hockey ######bags who hung out in the front hall of the high school and #### on the rest of us. #### those guys.
On the surface maybe but Biz seems like a genuinely good dude. He doesn't take himself seriously at all. He actually seems like a sweet guy. Whit is a bit more of a dick at times but all in all he seems like a good guy as well. I think they both genuinely care about the game.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 07:45 AM   #63
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Sounds like the team gave him chance after chance and he's thrown it away time and time again. Can totally understand his teammates being pissed at him and ready to cut him loose for good. Must be hard to care about someone in such a privileged position pissing away their chances like that, but whatever, I'll take his teammate's word that they are better off without him. Not a lot of "wish him the best of luck", but a lot of GTFO here.

Looked up his contract and woof. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to sign him to that? 8 year 49 million contract, I must have missed that signing. I know he's a late bloomer and all, but damn. That's some massive trust to put in a guy who has a lot of demons on his track record.

I may be mistaken but pretty sure there were no demons or at least no one knew about it when he signed that contract. That is a great contract if he didn't have these problems.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:49 AM   #64
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most people who use cocaine are not addicts. He could just be really dumb and reckless about using it in-season, instead of limiting it to the offseason like other NHLers.
Honestly this is what people who do cocaine want you to believe.

"I go to work every day and am a functional part of society so I'm not a addict"

Or they don't look like your stereotypical addict. Cocaine is a very highly addictive drug and most people you use it regularly are cocaine addicts even if they can still function normally.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 07:53 AM   #65
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
On the surface maybe but Biz seems like a genuinely good dude. He doesn't take himself seriously at all. He actually seems like a sweet guy. Whit is a bit more of a dick at times but all in all he seems like a good guy as well. I think they both genuinely care about the game.
Ya but not liking someone means you get to get wicked offended over something you 100% don't understand the concept.

The most fascinating guests on there are the former players who did stints in Russia. A very common story is the old school Russian doctors would come in an administer some sort of gas. The player would have energy for a while and play lights out. Over the years it became a term Russian Gas. Whenever any player would be playing great its the Russian Gas.

Biznasty taped this before the latest Nichuschkin update. So now is such a dudebro he can offend into the future, even though its 1000000000% not offensive in anyway.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM   #66
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

"I go to work every day and am a functional part of society so I'm not a addict"

Or they don't look like your stereotypical addict. Cocaine is a very highly addictive drug and most people you use it regularly are cocaine addicts even if they can still function normally.
This. One of my best friends was addicted to cocaine. He couldn't function outside of work without it, and it got to a point where he was doing bumps in the washroom during work

His attitude and personality changed so much over those 3-4 years. I really tried to be a friend and help him out, but there's only so much you can do if they don't want help themselves, and at the expense of my own sanity and relationships.

He eventually got clean after hitting rock bottom, but it took losing his job, his friendships (mine included), and his family intervening. It was sad and brutal to watch someone I'd known almost my entire life devolve into someone i didn't know or recognize.

He's since tried to make amends, but really, nothing will ever be the same again. We've grown apart and distant, me with a family and priorities different than his.

I guess what I'm saying is addiction is brutal, and one shouldn't judge how the support system around that person with issues, is handling it. I think the team in this case probably gave him every chance they could, but as someone else mentioned earlier, I'm thinking his team might have been in the same mentality I explained above.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 08:25 AM   #67
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome to the Oilers Valeri. Can't believe we got you on such a great contract.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:32 AM   #68
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

That is exactly it with cocaine, and what makes it dangerous. It gives you the feeling that you are in control, impares your decision making, and gives you a feeling of confidence. This makes it feel more like having a good energy drink than "getting high".

The addict stereotype also cause a lot of problems because they do not represent at all what drug addicts are actually like. Statics wise the average drug addict has a full time job and lives in the suburbs. But so many people think that they cannot possibly be a drug addict because they are not the stereotype, letting the problem get way worse before they acknowledge it.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #69
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nichuskin and DeAngelo to Edmonton this summer, E6.

(Real talk though, hope the kid gets the help he needs)

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 05-14-2024 at 08:41 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #70
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
This. One of my best friends was addicted to cocaine. He couldn't function outside of work without it, and it got to a point where he was doing bumps in the washroom during work

His attitude and personality changed so much over those 3-4 years. I really tried to be a friend and help him out, but there's only so much you can do if they don't want help themselves, and at the expense of my own sanity and relationships.

He eventually got clean after hitting rock bottom, but it took losing his job, his friendships (mine included), and his family intervening. It was sad and brutal to watch someone I'd known almost my entire life devolve into someone i didn't know or recognize.

He's since tried to make amends, but really, nothing will ever be the same again. We've grown apart and distant, me with a family and priorities different than his.

I guess what I'm saying is addiction is brutal, and one shouldn't judge how the support system around that person with issues, is handling it. I think the team in this case probably gave him every chance they could, but as someone else mentioned earlier, I'm thinking his team might have been in the same mentality I explained above.
And folks living with someone living addiction need to have boundaries. Maybe they walk away fully, maybe they try to stay in relationship with the person but say no to thing. That can then set the other off and they walk away from the support network.

You're right, addiction is 100 percent brutal.

(in reviewing the tread outside of the quoted post) I think talking about it like it's a moral issue is really flawed and outdated approach. I also don't understand having a hierarchy for empathy. I really hate this cultural trend towards trauma Olympics in who has things worst adn deserves more empathy.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:42 AM   #71
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There used to be a website that listed the best places to do various drugs. Bathrooms on certain floors in Banker's Hall were listed.

Don't kid yourself, the stuff is addictive.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:32 AM   #72
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Ya but not liking someone means you get to get wicked offended over something you 100% don't understand the concept.

The most fascinating guests on there are the former players who did stints in Russia. A very common story is the old school Russian doctors would come in an administer some sort of gas. The player would have energy for a while and play lights out. Over the years it became a term Russian Gas. Whenever any player would be playing great its the Russian Gas.

Biznasty taped this before the latest Nichuschkin update. So now is such a dudebro he can offend into the future, even though its 1000000000% not offensive in anyway.
Context helps, but directing the joke at a player with well documented substance abuse issues is, at the very least, thoughtless and in poor taste.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:46 AM   #73
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Context helps, but directing the joke at a player with well documented substance abuse issues is, at the very least, thoughtless and in poor taste.
Yea and they’re suppose to be role modes!!!!

Get them! Let’s cancel those meanies.

/green text
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:54 AM   #74
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Yea and they’re suppose to be role modes!!!!

Get them! Let’s cancel those meanies.

/green text
Lol, nobody is trying to "cancel those meanies".

The backlash to the backlash is always just as silly.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 AM   #75
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There used to be a website that listed the best places to do various drugs. Bathrooms on certain floors in Banker's Hall were listed.

Don't kid yourself, the stuff is addictive.
I first read that as "...on floors in certain bathrooms..."
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 AM   #76
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Lol, nobody is trying to "cancel those meanies".

The backlash to the backlash is always just as silly.

Lets be clear... there should be zero backlash. There was nothing "thoughtless" or in "poor taste" in Bizz's original comments.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:03 AM   #77
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yep, I had several friends in my early 20s very obviously addicted who would swear up and down they didn't "need" it, less than 24h removed from selling the gaming console their parents bought them at a pawn shop for a night on the town
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:58 AM   #78
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Lets be clear... there should be zero backlash. There was nothing "thoughtless" or in "poor taste" in Bizz's original comments.
I highlighted why there's reason to think there is. You disagree. That's all fine and dandy.

The Spittin Chicklets crew isn't to everyone's taste, and that's also fine and dandy. Being critical doesn't mean anyone is trying to "cancel" anyone. If you don't like it don't listen, and I don't.

Personally, I don't think Biz meant anything by it...sounds like their usual banter. However, considering Nichushkin's struggles (which have been public since January) it doesn't entirely pass the smell test. I'm not going to be picketing Barstool anytime soon for something so benign, but I'm also not going to feel bad about my opinion on it.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 05-14-2024, 11:06 AM   #79
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Why would you voluntarily enter a program that can result in suspensions and no pay? I don't pretend to know anything about recovery programs.

Incentivized to hide from problems and not seek help?
I am not 100% sure, but I think going into the program prevents contract termination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I assume the suspension in in hockey time, as in after the playoffs it will get picked up again when next season starts?

Since the players don’t get paid during playoffs, how does the 6 months without pay work here?

Otherwise, the 6 months without pay only affect his playing this playoffs, and does not affect his pay?
I assume the 6 months without pay thing is more administrative than anything. The suspension could be longer. He'll have to demonstrate that he met his treatment objectives and then apply for reinstatement. Six months might be really optimistic if the problem is as serious as it seems.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:06 PM   #80
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post

This aimed at me? I understand the concept of hockey jocks being self entitled #######s. These two clowns perpetuate that.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: