Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2024, 11:59 PM   #61
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It was in one fell swoop. Traded up from the Filip Bystedt pick to get Conor Geekie.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 12:00 AM   #62
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Somewhat recent precedent:

AZ paid 29 + 2 2nds to get pick 11 in 2022
DET paid 23 + 2nd + 5th to get pick 15 in 2021

Would you give up, say, 25 and 2 2nds to move up 10-12 spots?
Depends on who they'd be using the picks on.

If they want to ensure they get Iggy and take him at 8, then move up to get a center like Catton, Helenius or Hage at 10-12 because one will be on the board, then sure. If the bulk of talent is in the top half of the first round then it would be wise to trade picks that have less value/potential to hit than usual.

Quality > Quantity.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:01 AM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
icon53

Quote:

Personally? The player targeted would have to be pretty highly thought of (like if Iginla was somehow still there at 12), but yeah I'd do it for the right guy.

And then keep selling off guys like kuzmenkov at deadlines to keep the 1st/2nd round pick machine topped up for the rebuild.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:03 AM   #64
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could see them using the first pick on a guy like Iginla if they feel like he definitely won’t be there at 12. And then take whoever is left in that tier at 12. Maybe that’s Catton (dream), or maybe it’s helenius/yakemchuk.
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:22 AM   #65
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Like I said in the other thread(s), if Flames wins lottery draft, Celebrini is a no brainer. If they move to 2nd draft position, take Lindstrom and trade their later 1st in a package to move up to take Iginla. If Flames get 3rd pick and Lindstrom is still available, same thing as before. Once the top 2 centers are gone, take Iginla as early as the 3rd pick. No loss in moving Iginla up in a weak draft year. Flames got a lot of D prospects. Gotta get bigger up the middle.
Looking at the 2015 to 2020 drafts to give an example of reaching for a winger, would you rather have Brady Tkachuk or Quinn Hughes?

Tough choice to say center or bust. Hischier and Patrick went before Hieskinen and Makar, and throw in Petterson next.

I think we’d all agree we would take a Makar or Hieskinen over a Brady Tkachuk.

Hell, I’d bet we’d all settle for an Adam Faux
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:30 AM   #66
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really good points about a winger vs D/C

Do we want to build around a winger again like with Jarome? How did that work out for us? And he was about the best you can get from a winger.

It's hard to look at a guy putting up more goals than games in the playoffs and climbing rankings and saying no to that surname and legacy factor, but we have to choose the piece that has the best chance of helping change the team's fortunes.

If you can get a Makar comparable, or a 1C for the next decade, that has to be the first choice.

BPA, yes. But in this grouping, Tij wouldn't stand out as the obvious BPA, so you'd move to the next factors, including position.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:43 AM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Really good points about a winger vs D/C

Do we want to build around a winger again like with Jarome? How did that work out for us? And he was about the best you can get from a winger.

It's hard to look at a guy putting up more goals than games in the playoffs and climbing rankings and saying no to that surname and legacy factor, but we have to choose the piece that has the best chance of helping change the team's fortunes.

If you can get a Makar comparable, or a 1C for the next decade, that has to be the first choice.

BPA, yes. But in this grouping, Tij wouldn't stand out as the obvious BPA, so you'd move to the next factors, including position.
won a cup
Old 04-05-2024, 01:19 AM   #68
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are numerous examples of where the winger or defenseman available are more consequential to a team's success than the centers that were available at the same spot in the same draft. You can go for the winger this time and try your luck for a center next year if you don't think any of the centers outside of the top 5 are worth it. The Flames need star players period, at every position. This isn't the time to get picky about position.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-05-2024 at 01:23 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:49 AM   #69
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Did Arizona do that in one move, or two? I can't remember. That's a bargain for Arizona in my opinion - 18 spots for two 2nd round picks. Detroit's price was heftier - a 2nd and a 5th for 8 spots.
All comes down to draft. If a team doesn't really see much of a difference talent wise past the top 10 then getting more picks is a good way to go.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:58 AM   #70
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream scenario for me is the Flames win the lottery and land Celebrini. They trade Markstrom (retained) to the Devils for the 10th pick and are able to snag Tij or use the 10th pick and the Vancouver pick to trade up to 6-7 to land Tij.

Then 2 years from now the Golden Knights gift the Flames the McKenna pick after a disastrous season and the Flames are able to draft Joe with their pick

Celebrini, McKenna, Iginla, Iginla will be everything and much more than we hoped Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, and Gaudreau turned out to be.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #71
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think my preference is to keep the excess draft capital to stock up our system, but if a can't-miss guy falls, we definitely have the '24 draft capital to take advantage.

Such a nice situation to be in heading into the draft.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #72
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Dream scenario for me is the Flames win the lottery and land Celebrini. They trade Markstrom (retained) to the Devils for the 10th pick and are able to snag Tij or use the 10th pick and the Vancouver pick to trade up to 6-7 to land Tij.

Then 2 years from now the Golden Knights gift the Flames the McKenna pick after a disastrous season and the Flames are able to draft Joe with their pick

Celebrini, McKenna, Iginla, Iginla will be everything and much more than we hoped Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, and Gaudreau turned out to be.
Then Cale Makar returns to be hometown hero to start the 2027 season in a new arena.
Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think fans are going to be disappointed. I just don't see the Flames taking a winger with the defenseman and centers that may be available to them. He took Honzek over some higher ranked wingers last season and if there's a player that he things can be a top 2 center I just don't see him passing on that. Time will tell I suppose as Iginla's stock is rising.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-05-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #74
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKUpKynBQOM

Watch this highlight package to see Iginla's best game in the playoffs so far. He scores two goals but creates a bunch more chances.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:09 AM   #75
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
if you have time, they spend 2 hours discussing a lot of players
Who are these EP people though?
To me this is just a bunch of likeminded folks on a forum sitting around a table discussing prospects, but maybe I'm wrong.

Are any of these guys scouts or anything? I've watched a few of their videos over the last few years and they have some very puzzling takes.
They seem to all say the same thing, no matter who's talking they use the same verbiage almost like they're reading off a piece of paper.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
All comes down to draft. If a team doesn't really see much of a difference talent wise past the top 10 then getting more picks is a good way to go.
Worked in the Zary situation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:34 AM   #77
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There are numerous examples of where the winger or defenseman available are more consequential to a team's success than the centers that were available at the same spot in the same draft. You can go for the winger this time and try your luck for a center next year if you don't think any of the centers outside of the top 5 are worth it. The Flames need star players period, at every position. This isn't the time to get picky about position.
One good example:

Daniel Tkaczuk, C - 6th overall
Paul Mara, D - 7th overall
Sergei Samsonov, LW - 8th overall
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
One good example:

Daniel Tkaczuk, C - 6th overall
Paul Mara, D - 7th overall
Sergei Samsonov, LW - 8th overall
Yeah but Tkaczuk's career was derailed from concussions. He produced in the CHL, AHL and was producing for the Flames until he got that first concussion then it was over for him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:49 AM   #79
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but Tkaczuk's career was derailed from concussions. He produced in the CHL, AHL and was producing for the Flames until he got that first concussion then it was over for him.
Four goals, 11 points in 19 games I wouldn't call that overly great production. By that season when he finally got some NHL games (2000-01), Samsonov already had 218 career points and three 20+ goal seasons (29 goals and 75 points in 00-01).

Would Tkaczuk have had a better career without the concussion? Certainly. Would he have come close to Samsonov's career? I think doubtful.

Last edited by Sidney Crosby's Hat; 04-05-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:55 AM   #80
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If it means getting x2 of of the general consensus top 12 (catton, tij, helenius, yakemchuk, buium etc...) I'd do it.

Getting two core top of the line up pieces in one draft would be huge for us. A combo of Catton and Yakemchuk could be paying dividends for a long time.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post: