Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #741
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's great, they felt the pressure and changed it. Great news.

Hopefully they come out with a 399 version without that stupid kinect though, that still might keep me with the PS4.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #742
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awful decision. DRM ON and DRM OFF are not the only two options, IMO. Why not an 'offline mode' similar to what Steam offers?

This decision has killed Xbox Library Sharing. That sucks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #743
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said in the other thread, I already have a PS4 with games pre-ordered and I'm not changing it now. I see no point in the Kinect and all I want to do is play video games on it, so I don't need all this own the living room stuff.

You could have had me to begin with Microsoft, but you lost me. Maybe I will buy one down the road, and if not I will see what you offer for the next-next gen.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #744
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Hopefully they come out with a 399 version without that stupid kinect though, that still might keep me with the PS4.
Psh, the NSA won't let them do that!!!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #745
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya the only thing keeping me from buying an Xbox One now is the stupid kinect requirement. If they drop that and release a "core" version of the console for $100 cheaper then I'll probably grab it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #746
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
haha "your feedback matters" ... yeah, right. Desperation move out of fear of getting crushed by Sony if they don't change their policy, nothing else. Good that those stupid plans were put to bed already. Still, the PS4 is 100$ cheaper.
Now too send them a million emails about the price!
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #747
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Awful decision. DRM ON and DRM OFF are not the only two options, IMO. Why not an 'offline mode' similar to what Steam offers?

This decision has killed Xbox Library Sharing. That sucks.
I first thought you were a huge Microsoft fanboy, but I am now convinced you are just a troll. I prefer the Microsoft fanboy.

Why can't they still do Library Sharing?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #748
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I first thought you were a huge Microsoft fanboy, but I am now convinced you are just a troll. I prefer the Microsoft fanboy.

Why can't they still do Library Sharing?
Maybe because Microsoft flat out said that's been turfed?

Quote:
These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #749
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A case of, if you don't want our DRM, you aren't gonna get other features too? Is MS just too lazy to look at other implementation options?
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #750
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Maybe because Microsoft flat out said that's been turfed?
Ahem. Microsoft was also pretty clear a few days ago:

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/m...with-xbox-one/

When asked if these announcements by Sony will influence Microsoft and make them change what they’re doing with Xbox One he had this to say:

I mean we’re really not going to change anything we’ve done with Xbox One. We’re very happy
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #751
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the gaming community "Xbone" name is at risk of being supplanted by the "Xbox 180".
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #752
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they want me to download a game they need to make it 20% cheaper than the disc version, because no trade-in market exists for it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #753
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like I may not have to buy a PS4 and deal with their small ass controllers. Well done MS.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #754
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Good on you MS, must have been a gut wrenching decision to backpedal like that. Looks like I'm back to probably buying an Xbox One now.
Well it's a step in the right direction but I will see what else they do or handle things. I'm 50/50
Old 06-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #755
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If they want me to download a game they need to make it 20% cheaper than the disc version, because no trade-in market exists for it.
As a PC user, game discs are annoying. The Microsoft announcement still said that disc based games require you to have the game in the tray to play. I'm lazy and would rather just select the installed game from the menu. And I've never traded in a disc game anyway.

I'm somewhat impressed with this shift from Microsoft. Really, the 24-hour check-in did it in for me. I could handle the higher cost, lower performance than PS4, restrictions on trading/exchanging games. But if the console needed to always connect to their servers every 24 hours, absolutely no way I was going to buy it. Probably still won't buy either, but if there was an exclusive that I really really wanted, I could consider an Xbox now.

That said, how embarrassing for them. There probably could have been some innovation in the way game collections could be shared, but they really messed it up in the way the console details were presented. Instead of getting the message out saying "This is a brand new way to share games between family and friends", all I heard was "Your console must check in with our servers every 24 hours so that we can scan the content on your system and make sure you aren't a dirty pirate".
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #756
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I think they're too late, they're now likely to be playing catch up this entire generation. If all your friends have ordered the PS4 (the hardcore, early adopters) why get an Xbox? You'll be unable to play with your real friends online.

They need to have some pretty slick kinect apps/games to make someone choose this over PS4. The Live TV integration is cool but given the cable companies don't want to give up their own space in the living room, I'm skeptical as to whether MS's leap into that space will succeed. And my TV works fine even though I'm not totally happy with the Shaw Gateway.

For this consumer its still a case of wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm really loving my Roku 3 and US Netflix. I only have cable for news and sports.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember how initially in the last generation they were spending more on their consoles they were selling them for? This generation they seem to be even further behind the current technology bell curve. If that is true, their costs should be lower relative to their revenue per console out of the gate. If that is true, if MS really wants to rule this generation, I could see them offering some awesome incentives in the months to come, including a price drop.

Last edited by Kjesse; 06-19-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #757
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ya the only thing keeping me from buying an Xbox One now is the stupid kinect requirement. If they drop that and release a "core" version of the console for $100 cheaper then I'll probably grab it
Since they haven't released a holiday bundle yet that a good possibility

Ill wait till there are good bundles out and a better edition for either console.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #758
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Since they haven't released a holiday bundle yet that a good possibility
Well, for what it is worth here is their current messaging as of this evening. But we already know how stable that is.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/xb...ore-part-of-e/

"We really believe deeply in the value that we're delivering. Not just for the first day of launch, which we think is going to be amazing, with amazing games and entertainment experiences, but what this architecture can deliver over the long term." said Whitten. "We feel good about our price."

What about changing the price by removing the Kinect?

"We still absolutely believe in Kinect. It's a core part of the architecture. Frankly, it's really critical that you build it as something that's always there, always part of the platform. So that game creators, experience creators can know they can rely on it. And you, the user, that there's always a consistent experience. That it's not just an accessory."
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #759
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ahem. Microsoft was also pretty clear a few days ago:

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/m...with-xbox-one/

When asked if these announcements by Sony will influence Microsoft and make them change what they’re doing with Xbox One he had this to say:

I mean we’re really not going to change anything we’ve done with Xbox One. We’re very happy
Touche
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #760
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how sales on the new games like NCAA14/madden will be next month since the new system is coming out a few short months later