Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #741
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Better than Red Racer's?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #742
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone know where you can buy Guinness Blonde in Calgary? They had a booth at Oktoberfest last weekend and damn was it ever tasty. That and Something Brewing from Red Deer were my highlights, which I'm also having trouble finding
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #743
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone know where you can buy Guinness Blonde in Calgary? They had a booth at Oktoberfest last weekend and damn was it ever tasty. That and Something Brewing from Red Deer were my highlights, which I'm also having trouble finding
http://www.liquorconnect.com/Product...-00773949.aspx
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #744
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Better than Red Racer's?
Not too many IPAs out there i dont like, but Ive been liking session ales lately for their lower alcohol content but still decent IBUs. Favorite IPA still has to be tamarack hat trick.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #745
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yes I agree with you, I love ISA's. I was just curious if you had tried Red Racer's, ISA and how it compared to the Village Brewing one.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #746
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sriracha beer is no good.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #747
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yes I agree with you, I love ISA's. I was just curious if you had tried Red Racer's, ISA and how it compared to the Village Brewing one.
Yep, Ive tried Red racers a few times- including at National I believe. Recall it being more bitter than a session ale, but pretty standard for an IPA. New Belgium ranger has been my go to IPA lately, but also really liked Going to the Sky, which I picked up in Montana recently. Also tried a New Zealand IPA this weekend called Stoke- its an IPA by name, but much more similar to an ESB and very malty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #748
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Are they putting Siracha in everything?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #749
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Oh man, I had the spicey beer at Anju a few months back and it was adhorant.

I sat there after the first sip thinking who in their right mind wants to sip a prarie fire beer? I still shutter thinking about that pint.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #750
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not even just sriracha- are there actually any good flavored beers out there? For people that actually like the taste of beer that is and not just trying to mask it with rubbish. The fruit ones are all seem to have a fake artificial taste. I've had a couple decent pumpkin ones I guess, but that is about it. Have never tried the Apple or Cherry ales from Unibroue, but wouldn't be surprised if they are like the rest. Grapefruit beers are the absolute worst.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #751
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the flavoured beer thing is out of control.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #752
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Not even just sriracha- are there actually any good flavored beers out there? For people that actually like the taste of beer that is and not just trying to mask it with rubbish. The fruit ones are all seem to have a fake artificial taste. I've had a couple decent pumpkin ones I guess, but that is about it. Have never tried the Apple or Cherry ales from Unibroue, but wouldn't be surprised if they are like the rest. Grapefruit beers are the absolute worst.
I think the ginger beer from Philips is alright! Most ginger beers nowadays taste really sweet and super gingery, but the Philips one keeps the beer taste with a hint of ginger.

The ones from Unibroue (ephemere) I actually like a lot too. Definitely different when compared to the regular super sweet ones.

That said, I like the super sour lambic styles too (not the crazy sugar fruit ones).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #753
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Oh man, I had the spicey beer at Anju a few months back and it was adhorant.

I sat there after the first sip thinking who in their right mind wants to sip a prarie fire beer? I still shutter thinking about that pint.
I tried a Serrano chili beer at a tasting event a couple of years ago. Pretty much went "Yup, this tastes exactly like a beer with serrano pepper in it. It is not good whatsoever."
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #754
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you've ever had one of these, the first sip or two are okay, refreshing and whatnot, but eventually it just tastes like you're drinking potpourri. Very artificial tasting.

Spoiler!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #755
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like many different styles and flavours of beer. Some work, some don't. The ones that don't will disappear.

Just find what you like and support it.

That's the real benefit I see with the all the craft brewers springing up. While I'm sure they would love to sell millions of bottles, if they can find a niche where they can make a profit they will continue to fill that niche and it won't take millions of bottles to do it. No point in crapping on a specific flavour or style that someone else likes - there are lots more out there that are willing to target you. The fun is in finding them.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #756
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Pumpkin beer is pretty much just dry hopped allspice, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. I just made a pumpkin Irish lager using 2lbs of pumpkin steeped in a 20 litre wort, and you can't taste it at all. All it did was create a ton of sediment in my primary.

A lot of beers out there aren't made using actual "berry" flavours. Eg: an orange beer is a lot of coriander (although it has rinds in it) the coriander is what creates the orange taste.

Anyway, I would maybe try a real "traditional" type beer without all the hops or fruit flavouring. A simple Vienna Lager or light pale ale from a microbrewery with a low IBU rating might be more palatable.

The best part about finding a beer you like is getting to try all the different kinds! It's like a drunken scavenger hunt.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #757
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely enjoy some of the wheat ales with coriander, such as Harvest Moon Beltian White and Blonde leffe, but neither of these are citrusy like a shock top belgian white- which I am not a fan of at all.

Might consider a pumpkin ale for this weekend- I recall seeing the Elysian one around a few times, but any other suggestions?
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #758
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The one flavored beer I actually found to be alright was Big Rock Lime. It still tasted like beer, but with a bit of lime juice in it. Basically a pre-mixed Corona.

The most awful one I ever tried was some banana bread disgusting stuff. Or Rogue Voodoo Jelly Donut. Barf.

I tried Last Best's Oktoberfest last night. It was awesome. Unfortunately I think it's about to run out at my local watering hole.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #759
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely enjoy some of the wheat ales with coriander, such as Harvest Moon Beltian White and Blonde leffe, but neither of these are citrusy like a shock top belgian white- which I am not a fan of at all.

Might consider a pumpkin ale for this weekend- I recall seeing the Elysian one around a few times, but any other suggestions?
Shock Top is garbage IMO.

It depends what you're doing as well. I enjoy crazy microbrews one or two at a time, but if I'm out on the town no way am I drinking a lot of them. Hot summer days call for a lighter beer, cold days are Guinness.

It's hard to suggest beer not knowing your tastes, but maybe have a go at a grapefruit type beer, or something like a Kingfisher lager? Red Racer has been mentioned already; they're cheap and really good for heavy drinking......

Or start at the top of this and work your way down:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/ca/
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #760
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went for thansgivings supply of beer and decided to pick up a couple pumpkin spiced beers- the alley kat pumpkin beer is not great at all, which is pretty much what Ive come to expect from them. Also picked up a single bottle of phillips crooked tooth pumpkin spiced ale- looks a little more promising.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-08-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty