Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2023, 08:17 PM   #7421
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly recommend The Black Phone with Ethan Hawke for a thriller
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #7422
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just watched the Argentine horror movie When Evil Lurks, probably the best of the year. Might be the bleakest and meanest horror movies I've seen.
We just watched this director's previous big horror movie, Terrified.

It was also a lot of fun!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 08:40 PM   #7423
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Highly recommend The Black Phone with Ethan Hawke for a thriller
I think I said this before.

Its a simple thriller, its not overly complicated but its well acted, well written and directed and well executed.

I really enjoyed it. And if it feels a bit like a Stephen King thriller?

Written and Directed by King's son.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 11:37 PM   #7424
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild Things what a relic of the 90s, it's kinda like a modern noir film mixed with erotic thriller. This is one of those movies that legitimately keeps you guessing right until the end, maybe a little too much. Such a fantastic cast too, Never Campbell, Denise Richards, Bill Murray, Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon. Thrillers peaked in the 90s and this is one of the best ones.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 09:53 AM   #7425
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Wild Things what a relic of the 90s, it's kinda like a modern noir film mixed with erotic thriller. This is one of those movies that legitimately keeps you guessing right until the end, maybe a little too much. Such a fantastic cast too, Never Campbell, Denise Richards, Bill Murray, Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon. Thrillers peaked in the 90s and this is one of the best ones.
This may sound weirder out loud (typed out) than in my head, but the best thrillers usually have a good mix of sex/eroticism in them.

Basic Instinct is such a great thriller, but wouldn't be the same without the sex

Edit: just learned of a sub-genre called erotic thrillers!

Last edited by Cappy; 11-14-2023 at 09:09 AM. Reason: personal growth
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #7426
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately the erotic thriller has gone the way of the western. Some of my favorites include: Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Single White Female, La Piscine , Gone Girl, Cruel Intentions, Body Double, Bound and Eyes Wide Shut.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #7427
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately the erotic thriller has gone the way of the western. Some of my favorites include: Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Single White Female, La Piscine , Gone Girl, Cruel Intentions, Body Double, Bound and Eyes Wide Shut.
Can add Sharon Stones Sliver and Rebecca DeMornays Never Talk to Stangers to that list.

Those two actresses were the Queens of erotic 90s thrillers.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:50 PM   #7428
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh ####, I just realized that I watched a great movie over the weekend and forgot to recommend it: The Holdovers.

I'm a big Alexander Payne fan because I love anyone who can find comedy in dramatic characters and moments. You probably remember his last big film also starring Paul Giamatti: Sideways.

This time it's a story about a traditional boys boarding school in rural New England over the holiday break, and "The Holdovers" are those that cannot go home for various reasons and must stay at the school. It's a pretty simple story about people who live on the fringes, and while they may have fleeting thoughts about fitting into a normal society, the reality is that they are nestled quite comfortably in the fringe. These characters find and support each other as a sense of mutual understanding. They aren't all that similar, but they inhabit the same part of the world and get each other because of it. It's a charming, funny, and slightly tragic story, well worth your time.

Even more than that, it's a film that tries to recreate the style of the 70's. I don't just mean aesthetically, or by nostalgically recalling elements of the time, no. I mean it literally tries to be a film set in the 70's, even going back to 70's filmmaking styles of long scenes, wandering character work, and eloquent dialogue. Scenes are minimal, not making too much of a fuss, even in scenes of conflict. The story is almost ultra-realistic, where nothing extraordinary really happens, yet big moments happen all the same between the people. It's worth watching for the cinematic attempt alone.

I really enjoyed it. It's not going to blow everyone away, but if you really enjoy a methodic and thoughtful film, this is for you. 8.5/10.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 09:37 PM   #7429
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Can add Sharon Stones Sliver and Rebecca DeMornays Never Talk to Stangers to that list.

And Theresa Russell’s Black Widow. Her and Rebecca De Mornay were my adolescent crushes.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:08 PM   #7430
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation, I actually picked up the DVD thrifting recently as a total blind buy, will have to give it a watch
Old 11-14-2023, 10:00 AM   #7431
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man Basic Instant lead of an outrageous automobile round of sex for a young UCB.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:20 PM   #7432
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched another absolutely epic masterpiece in Doctor Zhivago. After watching Lawrence of Arabia I wasn't sure anything could top that but I'm honestly torn which one I enjoyed more. This is one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen. A tale of longing and lost love set against the backdrop of the Russian Revolution. Omar Sharif might be the greatest actor of all time, he can give more emotion with just his eyes than any actor working today. This is certainly a film everyone deserves to see once in their life. Also I should mention Jie Christie gives a perfect performance in this as well, such an underrated actress.

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 11-14-2023 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:22 PM   #7433
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Holdovers might be my personal favourite movie of 2023, which is really saying a lot given the quality of some of its competition. A remarkable film. Giamatti with a masterful performance.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 04:02 AM   #7434
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724256353433047530

Cross-posting this here, because it's so damn funny.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #7435
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

RoboCop is an all-time classic. If you haven't seen it yet you should probably remedy that ASAP.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:36 AM   #7436
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Matter of Life and Death from 1946. It's a fantasy/romance where David Niven is a WWII bomber pilot who is supposed to die on a mission, but escapes due to an celestial error and has to go to trial to defend his life. It's got a weird, dreamlike quality to it and really melodramatic. Worth a watch.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:12 AM   #7437
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I finally watched the last duel. While I enjoyed it, I can totally see why this movie bombed. It was marketed like Gladiator lite but was actually more like Malice or Presumed Innocent or even Big Little Lies. Just set in medieval times.

Who is the target audience for an adult relationship drama with a $150m budget? It wasn’t political or sexy enough to grab an adult couples audience (the other Boleyn girl, Mary queen of scots etc) and it wasn’t action oriented enough to grab the male audience (gladiator, kingdom of heaven).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #7438
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me. I was the target audience.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:17 AM   #7439
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Haha. I was too. But other than us two, I’m not sure who else. Not sure why it took me two years to watch it tho. I live Ridley Scott and I love historical drama. I’m stoked for Napoleon.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #7440
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was good , but not ever rewatch or pay to go see good

Which commercially becomes a problem
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote