Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #721
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The Flames were lipstick on a pig when he was hired and you know it.

The culture was ruined, they were going through coaches like pressbox popcorn and the leadership group was doing their own thing.

Adding some more lipstick doesn't change the fact that he was the third guy brought in to fix something that wasn't going to get fixed.
I agree with EE's post with the exception of the fact he was brought in to get the veteran team over the top. I think that was partially the hire but I also think that Feaster/King knew there was a high % chance that the team would be stripped down and blown up during Bob's first season. 4 straight playoff misses were not going to be erased by adding Wideman, Hudler and Cervenka. The organization knew there was a good chance they would be entering a rebuild when Bob was hired.

Bob came in and created a great culture with the buy in from Giordano and the leadership group. I trust Treliving that Hartley had taken the team as far as he could.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #722
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I wonder how Brent Sutter would have done if the strip down started on his watch. Ideal guy to have been in charge during that chapter in my mind.

He couldn't get the inmates to stop torching the asylum.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #723
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

In my opinion, Sutter would have been the ideal coach for a team with young players like the Flames have now. Maybe should have been considered in Edmonton. Stars just didn't align for him here.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #724
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed but he took over an improved roster over Brent's last season and the results were considerably worse. Brent had the same lipstick on a pig roster less Hudler and Wideman and got three straight 90 point seasons out of it. We all know that Brent isn't considered around here as a great coach by many so I stand by my comment that his first season was failure.
Hartley did not even get s training camp wth the Flames over the hill roster. That team was destined to fail but he didn't even get a fair crack at it
Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #725
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wonder how Brent Sutter would have done if the strip down started on his watch. Ideal guy to have been in charge during that chapter in my mind.

He couldn't get the inmates to stop torching the asylum.
It's what he was asking for near the end of his tenure as well. And he really tried to cover up his disdain for that roster in the media but he always got red faces talking about them. Then there was the trash can incident.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #726
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
In my opinion, Sutter would have been the ideal coach for a team with young players like the Flames have now. Maybe should have been considered in Edmonton. Stars just didn't align for him here.
Sutter was a great coach for juniors, but there's really no track record of doing anything with a young NHL roster.

I think the Oilers passed after his dismal showing with a stacked roster at the worlds.

I really don't care that Hartley is gone, but I'm damn glad we don't have Brent around anymore.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #727
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Sutter was a great coach for juniors, but there's really no track record of doing anything with a young NHL roster.

I think the Oilers passed after his dismal showing with a stacked roster at the worlds.

I really don't care that Hartley is gone, but I'm damn glad we don't have Brent around anymore.
Certainly can't argue that, which is maybe why I wanted to see what he could make of it. With a roster made up of so many players fresh out of junior or just settling into their first few years as pros. But Sutter with a veteran laden roster? Yeah, thats not worth repeating.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #728
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Agreed but he took over an improved roster over Brent's last season and the results were considerably worse. Brent had the same lipstick on a pig roster less Hudler and Wideman and got three straight 90 point seasons out of it. We all know that Brent isn't considered around here as a great coach by many so I stand by my comment that his first season was failure.
You seem to be ignoring one MAJOR factor. Brent Sutter had Miikka Kiprusoff for 70/82 games, Hartley had him for all of 24/48 games. Had Hartley had Kipper for 40 games, the Flames likely would have put up that extra 10-11 points they needed to match the winning percentage of the season before.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #729
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
You seem to be ignoring one MAJOR factor. Brent Sutter had Miikka Kiprusoff for 70/82 games, Hartley had him for all of 24/48 games. Had Hartley had Kipper for 40 games, the Flames likely would have put up that extra 10-11 points they needed to match the winning percentage of the season before.
You're joking right?...Kipper had a 0.882sv%. We all love and appreciate Kipper but let's be honest he was reeeeally bad that year (for comparison Jonas Hiller had .879 in 26 games this year).

Last edited by Parallex; 05-19-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #730
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
You're joking right?...Kipper had a 0.882sv%. We all love and appreciate Kipper but let's be honest he was reeeeally bad that year (for comparison Jonas Hiller had .879 in 26 games this year).
And? That just proves my point further Sutter had a good Kipper, Hartley had a bad one and for less games. My point was you can't just say the teams were the same and Sutter did better when one of the better players for Sutter was a no show the following season. It also ignores that all the veterans never played during the lockout and the team was a step behind from the outset as a result.

But even as bad as Kipper was it is hardly crazy that he could have helped the team get 11 points in 16 more games and end up being better than Joey MacDonald.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #731
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
And? That just proves my point further Sutter had a good Kipper, Hartley had a bad one and for less games. My point was you can't just say the teams were the same and Sutter did better when one of the better players for Sutter was a no show the following season. It also ignores that all the veterans never played during the lockout and the team was a step behind from the outset as a result.

But even as bad as Kipper was it is hardly crazy that he could have helped the team get 11 points in 16 more games and end up being better than Joey MacDonald.
Ummm, you're all over the place....

"Kipper would have gotten Hartley more points!... except he was bad... which despite being contrary to my assertion proves what I said!... but Kipper would have gotten Hartley more points!"

... frankly I think they're both bad. Butter coached like he had the team he'd like to have rather then the one that he did. His strategies would have worked had he had that team... but he didn't so he failed. Hartley... his straategies were just bad in general (albeit more entertaining then Butter's).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #732
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Not trying to derail the derail but havnt checked this thread in a couple days.. for obvious reasons..

Any news on how the coach interviews are and have been going?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #733
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Not trying to derail the derail but havnt checked this thread in a couple days.. for obvious reasons..

Any news on how the coach interviews are and have been going?
Things will be very slow until BT gets back.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #734
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Things will be very slow until BT gets back.
Right, forgot he was still in Russia.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #735
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who thiks that we will have a coach before June 1?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #736
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Who thiks that we will have a coach before June 1?
I don't think so myself. Treliving is back next week I suspect another 1-2 weeks until the Treliving makes his move
Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #737
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman says both Anaheim and Calgary are being patient in terms of the coaching decision. He says it's possible that both teams are waiting for someone who is currently in the playoffs. This person might be either in the NHL or AHL playoffs. The Flames and Ducks want to at least talk to potential coaches who are still coaching as of this moment.

It makes sense, since anyone who's coaching now is having some success.

On another note, he also said that the contract extensions have taken a backseat at the moment. Upon returning from Russia, the coaching selection will likely be one of Treliving's priorities.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 05-20-2016 at 09:52 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #738
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Boughner and Kelly MacCrimmon are both still coaching.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #739
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bob Boughner and Kelly MacCrimmon are both still coaching.
As are Kirk Muller, Steve Thomas (I haven't seen him mentioned but he could be someone they speak to), Troy Mann (Hershey, also not previously mentioned), and Sheldon Keefe
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #740
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Booger
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote