Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2023, 08:35 AM   #6941
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Such a beautiful and magical film. The final scene still gets me every single time.

Gets me too. Who the Fk says “want to have a catch”?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #6942
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Has anyone watched Field of Dreams lately?

Jesus christ, I'm smiling and bawling my eyes out every other scene. The connections between all the character's stories is a beautiful bit of writing. The themes of Americana, fathers and sons, beliefs, passions, regrets etc. are overwhelming me. It's a brilliant classic film. Simple, and kind of a silly premise too, but goddam magic on a screen.
Watched it the other week with my son.

I was good, a bit hokey at times, but good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:10 AM   #6943
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched Pearl and X over the weekend. Mia Goth might be my new favourite horror actress. She's so great in both of them. Looking forward to exploring more from A24.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 11:41 AM   #6944
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Looking forward to exploring more from A24.
Go see 'Talk to Me'.

A++ spooky movie.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #6945
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking like a 2024 release for Maxxxine, great cast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MaXXXine
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 04:19 PM   #6946
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Edgar Wright is hollywoods most over rated director. I’m not sure how he keeps getting gigs. But that movie is pretty good. Best thing he’s done since Shaun of the dead. Only good thing he’s done other than Shaun of the dead.
Could not agree more.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:36 PM   #6947
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Erroneous.

First of all Hot Fuzz is Edgar Wright's best movie, and secondly, pretty much everything he's done has been at the very least "very good". (The World's End was his weakest, in my opinion.)
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 05:24 PM   #6948
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Hot Fuzz is the most typical Edgar Wright movie. Great concept, some funny parts but otherwise a total mess. He didn’t even get the genre spoofing right. Actually his utter failure to make the parody he wanted is what is most disappointing.

The movie was advertised as a sort of parody of action films and buddy cop movies. And it’s weird that people still talk about it like it is. It’s not. At all. Like how Shaun of the dead riffed on zombie movies except terribly done.

He completely dropped the ball. The first 20 or so minutes does it well enough. And so does the final 20 but everything in between is just a bad rehash of a horror thriller. A poorly done rehash at that. I’ve seen that movie before and it was called Club Dread and it friggin sucked.

It ends up being this awful mix of murder mystery, thriller and horror that fails badly. It had the right idea but veers off the tracks and by the time it recovers, the action parody parts start to feel out of place.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #6949
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The posts above about visual comedy are dead on though.

Stylistically his movies are a tier above your average hollywood comedy. Creative exposition and transitions, not just your standard, lazy methods. He weaves comedy into the mundane with pans and angles that help the humour in the script to land.

Hot Fuzz is also one of the more quotable films of the last decade and a half or so. Up there with Step Brothers. It's a gem. I think the appreciation for it is a matter of personal taste more than a reflection of Wright's competence as a director.

There's a lot of brit humour, and that doesn't always translate effectively to a north american audience either.

I think the fact that it doesn't fit into traditional boxes of JUST mystery or comedy or thriller is what helps it stand out. But if you don't jive with what it's going for, and need it to fall into one of those genres then perhaps it's less of an enjoyable watch.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 08-21-2023 at 05:43 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #6950
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hot Fuzz is the most typical Edgar Wright movie. Great concept, some funny parts but otherwise a total mess. He didn’t even get the genre spoofing right. Actually his utter failure to make the parody he wanted is what is most disappointing.

The movie was advertised as a sort of parody of action films and buddy cop movies. And it’s weird that people still talk about it like it is. It’s not. At all. Like how Shaun of the dead riffed on zombie movies except terribly done.

He completely dropped the ball. The first 20 or so minutes does it well enough. And so does the final 20 but everything in between is just a bad rehash of a horror thriller. A poorly done rehash at that. I’ve seen that movie before and it was called Club Dread and it friggin sucked.

It ends up being this awful mix of murder mystery, thriller and horror that fails badly. It had the right idea but veers off the tracks and by the time it recovers, the action parody parts start to feel out of place.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 07:40 PM   #6951
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Club Dread is fantastic, Cecil’s being a silly goose.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:18 PM   #6952
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed these two movies from 2022 I saw over the weekend:

Confess, Fletch: A really funny and fast paced art theft/murder mystery. John Hamm shines in the titular role having a good balance between arrogance and likeability. His interactions with the cast of quirky suspects provides most of humour with some interesting twists and turns along the way. One of the funnier movies I've seen recently and I hope we get a sequel. 9/10

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: Damn this is gorgeous animation. Dreamworks has caught up to the bar set by Sony and they are both leaving Disney in their dust. The fantasy adventure story is pretty good too with some interesting themes around happiness and mortality. Continues the Shrek universe trend poking fun at fairy tale tropes but stands well enough on it's own you forget Puss was a spin off. 9/10
Old 08-23-2023, 12:03 AM   #6953
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I feel like this is another instance of Americans having trouble understanding satire (which to be fair is a very European and especially very British form of comedy).

Parody is a form of comedy where tropes of a genre are exaggerated for comedic effect. You're right that that isn't what Hot Fuzz does, and if that's what you expect from the movie you'll mostly be disappointed. Although things do go increasingly over the top towards the end.

For the most part, Hot Fuzz plays on juxtaposition between film/TV and reality, and it's mostly satirical. As is pretty typical for satire, the form of the satire (buddy cop movies, action movies, but also British TV shows about small towns) is not the target of the satire. In other words, the movie (for the most part) isn't really making fun of movies and TV, but rather people who think and/or act like they are in movies or in a TV show, and people who have trouble viewing the world through any other lens than an imagined camera lens. And of course the lengths some people will go to to make reality conform to their idea of what a perfect little village is supposed to be like. (But of course the tropiest trope is that the more perfect a little village appears to be, the darker the secrets it hides.)

A big metajoke in the movie is that the characters are from different film or TV genres (or have watched different genres and acting out roles from them), making the movie kind of a deliberate mess. Which I don't think works that well in practice if I'm being honest. Mostly the movie is doing way too much "having cake and eating it". It's very funny in the parts where people are trying to be movie characters in a world which is inherently uncinematic, and pretty funny when it does full throttle movie nonsense, but for my tastes it lands somewhere in the middle too many times. I get why people really like it though.

Likewise, Shaun of the Dead isn't a parody of zombie films, it just uses the form of a zombie apocalypse to satirize people living their lives as if they were zombies. (Shaun most specifically.)

Last edited by Itse; 08-23-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 07:50 AM   #6954
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hot Fuzz is the most typical Edgar Wright movie. Great concept, some funny parts but otherwise a total mess. <clipped for brevity>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #6955
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favorite things about Hot Fuzz is how they originally wrote it to include a love interest for Nick/Pegg, but they cut it for time and just gave most of those lines to Danny/Frost, and it just.... Works so well

Also love how they set up a big murder conspiracy just for it to unravel and be about something incredibly simple and silly instead.

Last edited by btimbit; 08-23-2023 at 09:14 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #6956
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Hot Fuzz' is a treasure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 01:52 PM   #6957
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edgard Wright used to be a lot higher in my books. Scott Pilgrim is probably my favourite movie of his. I have the remastered 4k and it's stunning. But in my opinion it's been a downward trend with World's End, Baby Driver and Last Night in Soho. He is a huge film buff/nerd and I feel like his focus has been towards that and not making a better movie. Last in Soho had a great concept and technically was amazing but the story and pacing felt left behind.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #6958
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
'Hot Fuzz' is a treasure.
Why thank you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #6959
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hot Fuzz is a treasure. Regular Fuzz is just... regular.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #6960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Hot Fuzz is a treasure. Regular Fuzz is just... regular.
I can be Hot too, dammit!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote